Cliffhangers.? Are they necessary.?

So I’m writing a story and was wondering if all episodes should end in a cliffhanger. I mean is it really necessary and if not what other things can one do to end an episode.
What are your thoughts on cliffhangers.?

7 Likes

Some would say yes but personally I don’t think so at all. Sometimes it’s just not possible to have a episode end with a cliffhanger and instead of forcing one just let the episode end in a nice way.

7 Likes

Agreed! You can have an equally as exciting ending to a chapter without a ‘cliffhanger’:slightly_smiling_face:

Ex: Guy finally reconnects with his friend from years ago and they embrace. End episode. You’ll still pull powerful, happy emotions from the reader which is just as good😊

6 Likes

I think that cliffhangers are intriguing for the reader, but don’t add a cliffhanger at the end of every episode, because it isn’t necessary. Well that’s my opinion.

5 Likes

I don’t think they have to be at the end of every episode. I’d rather they aren’t!

But I can personally say that I’ve told myself no more chapters today, then there is a cliffhanger so I have to read another, then there’s a cliffhanger so I have to read another and so on and all of a sudden it’s 3am. So, it can be beneficial to getting reads I guess. haha.

4 Likes

I do that a lot :joy:

1 Like

no. cliffhanger is hard and often if you think you need one in evry chapter you will.

1. make really bad ones

2. stop at really bad times

they are the worst and shall be used sparely and usally when a chapter gets too long.

4 Likes

Not exacty do them sometimes but when you can’t think of one, don’t do one.

Having no cliffhanger is MUCH better then having a annoying, bad cliffhanger where you can tell the author didn’t know what to put for it.

3 Likes

I love a cliffhanger omg. Just the excitment about what will happen next is so fun tbh :rofl:

3 Likes

I’d say it depends on the genre and length of the story. If it’s a romance with 50 chapters, you can’t have a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter :rofl: but action in 10 episodes ? Yup I’d love to see that. Would definitely keep me reading.

3 Likes

Well, not every episode has to have a cliffhanger. But sometimes it’s good to add some to create that little ‘anxiety’ for the reader to see what’s going to happen next bit it isn’t nessecery to have one in every single chapter. Hope i helped :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

Cliffhangers are fine when necessary. Don’t force them, however–a contrived cliffhanger is much worse than not using one.

1 Like

I personally have a love-hate relationship with cliffhangers :rofl:
Cliffhangers are exciting and makes you want to read further (which can be a benefit for the writer), but when my passes need to refill or the next chapter isn’t out yet, then it is frustrating.

I have some cliffhangers in my own story tho :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Not necessary to finish on a cliffhanger but the episode can let the reader with questions who is that why she do that… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cliffhangers can be great to keep readers hooked, but sometimes authors end episodes too quickly just to end on a “cliffhanger”.

1 Like

Cliffhangers should be reserved for a pivotal turn for point in the story, which often does hinge on the revelation of new & major information. You can have more than one of these moments in a story, for sure, but if you’ve done your job as a storyteller then you would be building enough tension throughout the story to keep readers engaged & wanting the next part. Additionally, if you try to end every chapter on a cliffhanger, when you DO have a major revelation or dramatic turning point, it doesn’t hit as hard because the reader becomes sort of desensitised to delivering information in this way [via cliffhanger].

2 Likes

I’ve said this before, but I feel like having a cliffhanger every chapter end makes it feel routine in its own right. You expect it because it happens every time and, because of that, it stops being useful.

2 Likes

a cliffhanger, I was very abment to have in chapter 5, now wont be a cliffhanger, because I found out the chapter was only 4 minuts long, and I have tried to add some more text, but then evrything is over explained, so now I am takeing some of the scene from chapter 5 and moveing to chapter 4(which means I have to take some scenes from 6 and move to 5 and so on)

it was els a perfect cliffhanger, and kinda my only one,

1 Like

For me, it depends on the genre. If it’s romance or comedy, then no. But if it’s horror or mystery then go for it!

1 Like