CLOTHING: Cultural Clothing ~In General~

There has been quite a bit of threads on the different types of clothing that should be made, but all the different types of cultural clothing aren’t equally requested when people say: “We want more cultural clothing.”
When people say that they want cultural clothing as a whole, they don’t realize that they’re only thinking about certain cultures, normally they’re the most commonly represented ones from a specific area or region. Most people demand more Asian clothing but they only mean east Asian. When people say they want African clothing, they normally mean west African. I wanted to take the time to do some extensive research and display some cultural clothing in general (meaning from all continents), that we can openly support, and hopefully the Episode team will review these and we can get them in our stories one day.

(I can’t add every culture, so I tried to add some that rarely get the same hype as others. These cultures are often erased from the topic because they may not be well known or popularly advertised in the media.)

Indigenous + Afro + Caribbean/Latino North+South American

American Regalia

Regalia

Inuit Parkas

Parkas

Traditional Aztec Attire

Female

Male 1

Male 2

Creole Dress

Dress 1

Dress 2

Black American Street/Urban (This one is represented but not credited. That’s why I added this to the list. It’s easily the most popular and influential contemporary cultures, however, people rarely think about the people behind this fashion. It’s often represented on other groups of people, not them.)

Baby Hairs/Edges

90s Urban (Baggy Clothes)

Late 90s/Y2K (Colored Frameless Glasses)

Roller Hair/Bamboo Earrings

80s-90s Urban

Trinidadian Carnival Costume

Costume 1

Costume 2

Costume 3

Brazilian Carnival Costume

Costume 1

Costume 2

Costume 3

African

Egyptian Belly Dancing Costume

Costume

Somali Guntiino Dress

Guntiino

Modern South African (Xhosa) Dress

Xhosa Dress

Traditional Angola Attire

Angolan Attire

Ndebele Neck Rings

Neck Rings

European/Eurasian

Georgian Chokha

Chokha

Lithuanian Folk Attire

Folk

Dutch Volendam

Volendam Children

Volendam M/F+ Children

Asian

Pakistani Shalwar Kameez

Female

Male

Filipino Barong Tagalog/ Filipina Mestiza

Barong Tagalog

Mestiza Dress

Indonesian Kebaya

Kebaya

Arab Thobe (Also worn by Muslims)

Thobe

Oceania

Traditional Tahitian Dance Costume

Costume

Fijian Sulu

Sulu

I know that we can’t represent every single culture, because they’re so many, but we can’t shout “We need more diversity/representation” just to only demand representation for the same groups that people often think of when their region/continent is mentioned.

I truly believe we should have clothes that represent many often unrecognized groups, not just the well known ones, however, I still believe they deserve proper and realistic representation as well. Everyone deserves some form of representation and I know a lot of people have expressed distress when they’re separated from the conversation of portrayal.

Popular POC cultures that still deserve representation.

Chinese

Wedding

Photography

Japanese

Kimono

Photography

Korean

Wedding

Photography

Nigerian (There is no ‘Singular Nigerian Culture’ due to it’s tribal/cultural count but I’m saying this because the cultures originate from Nigeria.)

Brides

Photography

Ghanaian (There is no ‘Singular Ghanaian Culture’ due to it’s tribal/cultural count but I’m saying this because the cultures originate from Ghana.)

Photography

Bride

Indian

Bollywood

Photography

Mexican

Dia De Los Muertos

Photography

Black American

Fashion/Music

Photography

Also I think for Tattoos we should get Tribal/Battle face+body paint/tattoo. This was used by people all over the world so there isn’t one collective culture that practiced this, but many globally.

A Few Examples:

Viking

Amazonian

African

Africa has the highest amount of cultures and tribes in the entire world, but I had to just put them in the giant “African” category.

Polynesian

Japanese

Though Geisha makeup isn’t Tribal or Battle related, It’s still a similar type of facial art.

Melanesian

Native American

Aboriginal Australians

What do ya’ll think? :thinking: :blob_hearts:

13 Likes

this is amazing. i can’t even imagine how much time you must have spent researching all this :pleading_face: support all the way!!

1 Like

It took me about 5 1/2 hours to finish that entire post. Very time consuming but also very worth it. I just want to make sure people get the representation they deserve. I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Support :pleading_face:

I support this sooo much! :heart_eyes:

support

Support and bump :raised_hands::100::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

Support!! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Big support! :hearts:

Topic closed due to violation of Feature Request Guidelines. Please review the guidelines and contact @Sydney_H (be sure to link the thread!) to discuss editing and reopening topic. :smiley: