Coding Story for Replayable Chapters

I’ve seen a few stories around (not too many, but at least a couple) that have managed to code their story in such a way that it gives readers the option of replaying the chapter at the end of each episode before continuing onto the next one.

Mostly I’m getting lost in how would you do this without messing up the points and gains readers have at the beginning of each chapter.

What would be the best way to accomplish this without completely messing up your branching?

Example code would be helpful if you have it.

1 Like

Hmm… I never seen the author giving an option to reply an episode. It happens when author will make changes in the episode so you have to replay it later. You can give an option to skip the episode by using labels and goto’s. If someone would choose to skip it I personally would give option to pick the choices again (so readers will gain them again) because otherwise they’ll reset

I know what you’re thinking of, but I meant I’ve seen where it’s intentionally designed to be replayable by the author. It’s not occurring because of changes made that reset the readers’ progress. Thank you though! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Telvoikai by Vaena would be an example of this, if I’m recalling correctly.

1 Like

Like in Bad Boy Bachelor?

Yes, it does. The code is actually a bit tricky, but I did consider making a ‘how to’ post. Perhaps I will go do that. :slight_smile:

For anyone reading this-

It does not allow you to go back an ‘episode’. What I have in Telvoikai is the option to go back to the beginning of the episode you are in and replay to see what happens if you choose differently in that episode. Once the ‘next chapter’ button is clicked and a pass spent all of the choices for the current play are cemented in.

2 Likes

Oh! I get it now :smile:

Here you go!

2 Likes

What a nice surprise! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort. :heart:

1 Like

Kind of! But instead of a game mechanic where you have to figure out the right dialogue options and restart if you get too many answers wrong, it’s more of an optional thing. It’s mainly so the reader can read the other choices without restarting the entire story. Vaena described what I meant above and provided a link on how to do it if you’re interested in learning the coding. :slight_smile: