Coding tips and opinion 🤯

Hello, so I’ve seen a lot of story reviews and a lot of stories were critisized considering the coding. And I was wondering, what is considered exceptional coding vs simple coding? :sweat_smile:
Like, what makes it great or bad?
I don’t know if you get me haha
Besides, you can throw some tips to improve coding here!! :blob_hearts:

2 Likes

I understand what you mean! Well I think good/advanced coding is considered when you have mini games. Also in some stories in places that are full of people the layers are wrong and look weird… idk if you understand what I’m saying. So a scene like a party or something like that if the layers are perfect I consider it good coding. And there’s other little details too

1 Like

I think exceptional coding would be what Mary D Sava does. She owns a Patreon and she post her own templates, her own mini games with her own self made backgrounds. She also takes request from her Patreon’s on what kinds of codings and backgrounds they want and she’ll make them. I think that’s some really advanced coding doing all of that on her own vs basic choices coding or using episode backgrounds then just making codes with them but coding in general is hard but making templates I think are even worse.

1 Like

Okok thank you so much!! :blush:

1 Like

Oooh okok thanks!! I didn’t know background affect the readers :0
I almost only use episode background :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

It doesn’t really effect readers but I’d maybe throw in some made backgrounds, a lot of people have some free background drives that you can look at and all you’ll have to do is credit

1 Like

Yeah thank you!!! :)) :innocent: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

advance: background characters, use of overlay in backgrounds,. mini-games. impactful choices there will matter in later chapters. spot directing and zoom too

Good: spot directing, zoom. choices, usually not impact full though. some background characters

simple: using enters exist. very simple, no background characters. every character there talk is in the front. not any zoom, properly no choices. maybe a clothing choice

bad. : its full of mistakes. people facing the wrong way. glide into scenes. keep talking in loop animation. jump into the scene. speech bubbles are in weird places. please note an advance story can still be bad if it have these mistakes

2 Likes

Ohh! Thanks, very helpful hahah :sweat_smile: :kissing_heart:
I’ll keep this in mind

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

Hahah still not sure of the meaning of bump… :sweat_smile: Is this to make the topic back in the lated section? :rofl:

1 Like

Yes it’s like to make it more relevant and to keep it open because topics close after 30 days if no one says anything :grin:

1 Like

Ohh yes hahah :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Advanced coding is just advanced directing. So like spotting characters, using zooms, creating and using overlays, and adding mini-games. It’s more of how much effort you put into an episode by adding more details to make it feel more realistic.

Simple coding or directing is using the pre-set character positions, such as:
@CHAR enters from left to screen center
But only using those commands (screen commands, screen, back left, screen right, etc…) in the entire episode. So no overlays, no mini-games, some basic choices, and not really any spotting or background characters. It’s absolutely not bad at all, it’s just not advanced. Many stories I have read with simple directing were still pretty good. In fact, i’m reading one right now in INK and enjoy it a lot!

Bad coding is when you code and it doesn’t look right. A character is looking the wrong way while talking, the layering is messed up, like the characters are supposed to be kissing or something but they miss (this one I see quite a bit :laughing:), and other mistakes that ruin the immersion of the story.

1 Like

Here are few things comming to my mind

So the bad things:

1. not using talking animations when character speak
  2. keeping the talking animation when the character doesn’t speak
  3. wrong using of @ instead of & causing that characters pop up one after another on the scene instead of being there from start or causing glitches with overlays.
  4. having speachbulles aiming at the wrong character or covering other characters heads
  5. not using or wrong using of layer so small character which should be in distance appears in front of big characters

What is not bad but is considered as basic:

1. not using zooms keeping the scene all the time static even if there is a longer dialogue
  2. not using of overlays
  3. using only simple directing
  4. not using music or keeping the same music through many different scenes
  5. not having meaningful choices and minigames
  6. using only episode backgrounds

great directing:

1. all is flawless
  2. all is the visually appealing helping reader to be dragged into story
  3. all speachbullbes are perfectly placed
  4. using of different angles and zoom during scenes and dialogues
  5. using of weather effect
  6. using of animated overlays
  7. having interesting choices and minigames
  8. using spot directing
  9. when using open space BG with background characters all are in perspective on the right size comparing to the things on the background
  10. flawless usage of overlays and layers
  11. using its own background including overlays.
  12. great usage of music to enhance the mood of the scene
2 Likes

Thank you so much :)) :blob_hearts: It helped me hehe

1 Like

Thanks!! I’ll keep this in mind to improve :blush: :kissing_heart:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.