College in UK? What? How?

Hey :wave:t2:

I’m looking for someone who can tell me a thing or two about college in UK, A-levels and AS level.

Unfortunately Google isn’t telling me as much as I need to know and the same about universities when checking their website.
It’s quite important because I need this kind of information to my story.

Thank you for your help :pray:t2:

5 Likes

Feel free to PM me. I live in the UK. :blush:

I’m a UK person! Feel free to PM me x

So with college it was where you do your AS and A Levels are studied before university - imagine the British version of SATs (I’m guessing that is what they’re called but the college is where you would have the last two years of high school education basically).

University is where you can get your bachelor’s, master’s and so forth so that is the equivalent of what other countries may brand as college. Hope that makes some sense

I haven’t done A levels yet so I’m not too sure about everything. But I know that you get the option to go on to 6th form in your secondary school or go to college. Then university comes after. I honestly could be wrong though, my school hasn’t really told me a lot about A levels🤷‍♀️

So in the UK we go to High School (sometimes called secondary school) and that’s from the ages of 11-16. It’s at high school that we do our GCSE exams, most often these are done in the final year of high school (year 11) but some exams can be taken in year 10 too.

After high school most people go to a local college and are there for 2 years. You can choose up 4 topics to take for the for the first year which is the AS exam and for the second year you have the option to drop one of those topics for your A level. Other people will attend a Six Form which is generally attached to the same high school you went to and these work in much the same way as a regular college.

After college you can, if you wish attend a university. Here you choose ONE topic to study for a minimum of 3 years. This one topic has different modules in it. For example if your degree is in Wildlife Conservation (like me) different modules will be things like; Anatomy and Physiology. Ecology, Behaviour and Biodiversity. There are also different types of degrees, mine was a Bachelor of Science but there are Bachelor of Arts degrees and Bachelor degrees with optional placement years. Some people also choose to study a foundational degree before they go on to their main bachelor one.

I hope this helps and if you would like more help, please message me :slight_smile: xx

2 Likes

i heard college in the UK is pretty SHIT not gonna lie
like their system right now isnt helping students with their grades

you can ask or pm @Sakthequeen since she started college in the uk and knows a lot more
but she isnt that active anymore :grimacing:

1 Like

Also, A levels are not the only thing you can do once in college/sixth form. There is also the choice to do a Btec course which is equivalent to 3 A levels (if you do level 3).

1 Like

I live in the UK, I’ve done my A-Levels and let me tell you now, they stressed me out so much I literally cried when it came to the exams😂
I feel for those who decided to go to uni and do a degree😂

To me college/university in the UK (and I’m a proud Brit) seems a lot easier here than in the US because we study one topic from the start of our undergraduate experience, we don’t have to carry on studying history, geography, maths or english etc if we don’t want to. Yes we have problems with the system but there is help out there if you know where to look.

I did a BTEC, I forgot to mention that option, ha ha :slight_smile: x

So did I!

It depends if you guys are talking about college in terms of university or college in terms of high school.
In the UK college is not the name given to University, it’s the 2 years before you actually go to university.

Regarding the grades, the Government system is messed up but colleges & schools have nothing to do with, they’re just as helpless as we as students are.

Not going to lie but the UK education system is pretty messed up, I do not recommend however, the top universities, also known as “Red Brick Universities” will offer you the best type of education.

And must I add, graduating with an english degree is very valuable hence universities get a lot of international students.

In terms of high school. If you choose to go to college your life will generally tend to be a bit easer, but this all depends in whether you are taking A level subjects, BTEC’s or you wish to do a diploma.

Now, people say that BTEC’s are easier since it is a lot of coursework and you give the exam in january rather than june/july - when normal A levels exams are given.

However, coursework can be pretty stressful as you get loads of assignments.

As per those who pick diplomas, it tends to be easier since they only do that diploma and nothing else.

Getting to A levels. I’ve experienced that the jump from GCSE’s to A levels is horrible. It is nothing that teachers prepare you for.

People who pick to go to “Sixth Form” so pick yo stay in the high school they studied generally tend do pick A levels although, BTEC qualifications are allowed.

My school only allowed students to pick 3 A levels and it may sound easy, but even 3 becomes a lot to handle.

You are allowed to pick 4 if you want to study your mother language, and with my case I dropped my 4th one since I couldn’t cope with all the work.

Also, Sixth Form offers a broader range of subjects whereas College gets into specifics.
For example, if you want to become a hair stylist there is no point of you going to Sixth Form since they usually offer subjects which will help you get into university.
College on the other hand will offer you something like a diploma in hairy styling.

Nonetheless, both Sixth form and College students are allowed to go University.
Their application is sent through UCAS, which is a website which allows students and universities to interact.
Your application is followed by your personal statement in which you are meant to “sell yourself to the university”. And also, your teacher predicted grades.

Based on this, the university will make a decision upon whether they are going to make you an offer.
Now, there’s 2 types of offers, conditional and unconditional.

Unconditional offers are offers in which universities will allow students to go to that university regardless of the grades they achieve. However, I must stress that the best universities do NOT give these, it’s the ones that struggle to fill in places who do.

The other offer is conditional, and this offer states that if on results day you meet the entry requirements of that university you will have a secured place there.

Sorry for this massive paragraph but I hope it helps, do not hesitate to contact me for any more info😊

1 Like

I studied at John Leggott Sixth Form College a few years ago. Parents and I were extremely responsible for the choice of college: we read reviews about the educational institution, we even talked with several students. In general, I was satisfied with my studies. Teachers were helpful and taught subjects extensively and interestingly. My classmates were friendly and polite. I studied like crazy, spent time reading books, and doing my homework all the time because college exams were difficult. But to be honest, sometimes I used https://wowgrade.net/ Sometimes I could not study because there were many other things to do. But thanks to the service, I saved a lot of time and always got the best marks.

So let’s imagine that I want my character to go after college to business school like University College London or London Business School and is choosing between Economics BSc and Management Science BSc.

How should that last step of education before university look like and which subjects should be considered as a must to make my character able to apply to such universities like those mentioned above?

Since I’m not from UK it’s quite hard for me to find accurate information even on universities pages to not make a huge mistake on story (but it’s still important to make my character British) and I appreciate answers from all of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.