Committing to a story

As a first time story writer I’m looking for some advise about commitment to a story. I know the very popular stories tend to have AMAZING cover art and I personally am drawn towards them, but these stories also have hundreds of thousands of reads already. Would you recommend uploading a story with basic art and wait to see if it picks up popularity before really committing to it or do you go all in from the beginning? If you wait for it to pick up popularity what would you consider it being popular enough to consider commissioned art?

I use plenty of advanced directions, overlays, props, actions, etc. so I think the story itself has potential if readers are actually interested in the story line. It’s just my first one so it’s also like who knows I could be doing it all wrong :woman_shrugging:

Thank you!!

1 Like

I’d say, comission the art if you would like to and can afford it. A good cover helps draw readers in. However - there are plenty of stories with edited covers that are successful. You can also try finding an artist that’s within your budget. If you have around $40-50, you can get a quality drawn cover.

In terms of committing to a story, it’s always a good practice to write stories that you plan on completing. If there’s something you don’t like about your story down the road, you can always go back and edit it. Perhaps start with a short story to begin with, in case it doesn’t do well? Maybe something like 15-20 chapters…

Hope that helps! :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I definitely plan on completing this story as it’s over a topic that I’m obsessed with even if others don’t seem to like it as much :laughing:

Maybe I’ll do an edited one first and consider a commission in the future then. I would just be so disappointed if I put in all this time and spent money on art for the story to not be popular, ya know? :sweat_smile:

I do because my brain doesn’t let me do otherwise. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I go all in from the beginning. If you’re doing a story, might as well be with it it through thick and thin :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Readers are more drawn to stories with good covers and most of them are commissioned art, so I’d definitely recommend having it done by a professional artist if you can afford it. I started my story with an edited cover I made myself and it did get some traction, but once I replaced it by a high quality art cover I got a lot more reads. When I commissioned the cover my story was at around 1k reads and it now has 100k+ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like