Confusing Bracket Error!

I’m using input choices in my story and I’m having an issue where the “missing bracket” error is popping up, but the bracket is clearly there! Here the piece of my script that is causing the error:

if (L1 is “Instructions”){
goto instructions
NARRATOR
Have fun!
goto L1
}

It is saying that the first bracket is missing a closing one, but it’s very there! I have three other input choices in my story, two connecting to this one, and they all work just fine! All of the labels being used are spelled correctly and in the right format, all of the character’s names are spelled right. There are no coding mistakes! What can I do to fix this?

When you get that error message but all brackets are there, then the error is somewhere inside those brackets; the system just confuses itself.

goto instructions
NARRATOR
Have fun!
goto L1
}

You can’t have anything after a “goto” because then it gets skipped over and whatever you have after the goto never gets used. You’d have to put that dialogue before the goto. I’m not sure why you have another goto right after a goto, though. If you want to go to the label L1 after instructions, then you’d have to put that goto after the whole instructions part (it shouldn’t be inside the brackets right after that goto).

NARRATOR
Have fun!
goto instructions
}

label instructions
[script for instructions]

goto L1

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll have to remember that goto advice for next time. @Ryan can you close this thread?

1 Like

Closing per OP request :v:t2: