Confusion: gender options

I have written a story, I have already published 4 chapters and some days ago I had an idea to add gender options in the first chapter and in the 5th ch. (that I haven’t published yet) and so I did. I used both gain and @X -1 or @X +1 .
In every chapter at the start I use this:
if (pic_male) {
goto male_story
} elif (pic_female) {
goto female_story
}

So now I am wondering, readers that already are in the 3d, or 4th ch. and haven’t chosen their gender, how if and elif is going to work for them? My story will glitch and idk what to do, any ideas please? What can I do?

If you went back and added a gain and point into ep1, readers who are currently in ep3 won’t have that gain nor that point.

There are 3 ways to get around this.

1. Completely delete the story you’re working on and start anew (the most extreme option, I don’t recommend)
  2. Add a choice in ep5 to pick one’s gender again, so any readers who are on eps 2-4 will eventually run into it (although it might be confusing for any readers who are midway through)
  3. Or, make one gender the “default” (recommended), see below…

For example, if your story started out with a female MC, you can use “else” to make sure that any previous readers continue to read as a female, and any new readers can pick. To do this, the numerical point value for female should be 0, there should be no gain associated with female, and the female branch should always be in the “else.” The male option should have its own gain (and, if you want, its own point).

However, with this method, readers who have already begun won’t have a chance to pick their gender.

So any script will look like this:

if (pick_male){

–male script

}else{

–female script

}

And also:

if (GENDER = 1){

–male script

}else{

–female script

}

And/or

if (GENDER = 0){

–female script

}

1 Like

So if i put in the ch. 2, 3, 4 the:
if (male) {
goto malestory
} else {
goto femalestory
}
Label malestory
#malestory
Label female story
#femalestory

Will it work and for readers that chose their gender and for those that havent?

1 Like

Yep! That’ll work :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help. I didnt know that the else would work. I will do that, thank you so much :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.