Continuation of "Stop insulting episode authours"

this is very true! and what a lot of readers and the general audience doesn’t know especially is how they can influence and affect the author as well. There’s a pretty good video about this on YouTube that explains the relationship between a content creator and their audience (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0l_biTU3Vg)

But the idea is because the platform is entirely different there’s a good chance that the authors or creators are more grounded, and ergo, would seem more charismatic online - to the point where it would seem as if the fans were best friends with the author (because of the author’s charisma and their “way” of interacting with their audience), even though the author barely knows them at all. Aside from actually establishing a good relationship with their audience and readers, authors in return should also set up their boundaries between their fans so that they have at least some control over a mass of people that could very easily get too personal or in the worst case - actually bully them.

This isn’t to discourage authors from interacting with their readers at all, no. But nowadays, with how open people are on the internet and how “too good to be true” everything seems, we all need to know where to draw the line and encourage positivity without the expense of anyone’s well-being.

6 Likes

LMAO yes, reading a book about dating a 500-year-old vampire with the “bUt ThEy lOok yOunG, liKe He’S 20!” reason ain’t that slick (IMO), it’s like matching yourself with an old dude that has a 20-year-old dude profile picture on Tinder.

But I’ll just ignore these kinds of books anyways, they aren’t my type of books to read.

Yes, I agree with this, let the authors write whatever they want as long as they do not promote and glorify problematic themes like racism, toxic relationships and more.

But sadly, I would say that mafia stories, stories like Red Hot Love, and cheating stories shouldn’t be on this platform, not to mention that there are kids and young teenagers (12+ years old) on this community. They are not mature enough to handle these stories and to know which is right or wrong. I’m not saying that we should ‘cAncEL’ these stories, it’s just that these stories are not appropriate for young kids to read.

If it’s a reader throwing a tantrum like “ew I hate your story, it’s so cliche.”, then yeah, tell them kindly to not read your story then.

But, if a reader/ a lot of people are pointing out things that not appropriate, don’t shut them out and listen to them and fix the mistakes, and apologise, own it up.

Yes indeed, as long as you don’t put anything that is uncomfortable and inappropriate in your story, it’s cool.

Let’s be real, a author isn’t gonna stop writing their story because only one person have problem with it, I’m not saying that the person’s feeling won’t be hurt, but if author does put a skip button, I mean it’s their choice to continue.

So I’m not trying to be targeting you, I have no reason to do that. Something that I just don’t understand is people saying that if a story contains harmful stuff, then they should crititcize, and many people are arguing over that, I am saying about baseless and useless comments, I didn’t exactly mention that if harmful stuff, then they should criticise, I mean i never said that, i said that that there is no need for useless hate

Excuse me? I mean I’m not telling that you made it, did I mentioned you? Did I say anything that contains that You have said it, And the vampire thing is just absolutely pathetic and rude, its just a mythical story.

Right, I definitely mentioned that You say authors are scared of writing their stories, but scared of what? Scared their racist, misogynist, fetishitic stories will get called out?, I mean I said absolutely nothing about other people saying useless criticsm

Exactly, not everybody’s thinking will be like yours

Over here I’m not talking about opinions, I’m talking about unnecessary hate people are giving

you have literally explained this in two words

people can and should complain if it is necessary

5 Likes

I agree :heart:

1 Like

…What do u mean by unnecessary hate?

they shouldn’t do it a way if it’s going to hurt there feelings there’s WAY to say that’s without BEING disrespectful

Yes I agree. But I’m saying that many authors consider criticism of problematic content no matter the scope to be “useless hate” or an “insult” which is why these topics are always so divided.

4 Likes

Yes, you can say criticsm unless they really need kt

Whilst, this is true. No one is obligated to listen to what a reader has to say. It’s common decency to maybe consider adding a skip option. Actually, it’s in the guidelines that a skip option/content warning should be in a story that could be triggering. But, just because it’s one person having a “problem” doesn’t necessarily mean that this person’s feelings is invalid. I’m not saying that you are invaliding someone’s feelings, but that’s how your comment is coming off, and that’s how a reader would feel if an author decided not to add a skip option.

A reader shouldn’t try and tell an author they should stop writing the story, but instead, offer constructive criticism. Otherwise, it can be perceived as hate.

But, you’re right. It is their choice to continue to read a story that once upset/affected them.

Typically, people will sit down and read an entire story so that they can form an honest unbiased opinion because people often complain if someone read one chapter of their story and made an opinion about it. So, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with reading a story completely to make your opinions/comments about it. I would prefer someone read my story completely, to throw shade at me or to give me feedback, then to make an assumed opinion just off the first episode.

5 Likes

But honestly, how often is it really only one person anyway? Every time I’ve seen an issue, it affects multiple people and probably even more people than we see because not everyone will feel safe enough to talk about. Especially when they’ve seen authors routinely dismiss and mock others for being triggered or pointing out racism, etc. I do believe even one person reaching out should be enough to at least reflect (especially if you don’t have an appropriate trigger warning), but honestly it’s never only one person anyway

5 Likes

This topic its called stop insulting episode authors not the other way round lol. I think it goes both ways Some authors either are rejecting the critism like babe there’s always gonna be someone that likes to critise or just ask for critisim and moan when people give them what they asked for. On the other hand, you got those people who will read chapters 1 to 15 or use ‘crititsm’ as an excuse to get away with the hate message or any dislikes like No that’s completely wrong everyones not perfect and not everything is everyones cuppa tea. :heart:

4 Likes

I’m going to comment again and say I think OP is talking about unnecessary hate and criticisms of stories and not when people talk about actual problematic content. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to some of you who might want to go after authors for simply the types of stories they write; but just because someone writes a “bad boy story” or a “gang story” doesn’t automatically mean they’re writing about the problematic content they might be accused of. Some of you want to make every single argument (where someone tries to defend their right to simply write what they want without being thrown into the “problematic and toxic” author group) into a reason to complain about toxic stories but that’s not the point of @Celia_Episode making this thread. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Edit to add: and it’s disappointing that some people can’t let us have a conversation on this without disregarding our feelings and opinions because “some of these stories are problematic.”
Also, you can have different opinions on what’s problematic. Just because person A. thinks vampire stories are horrible doesn’t mean person B. has to feel the same way. :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

This seems specific.

I agree with that. But I wonder how you reconcile that with the above statement about a group of people who indiscriminately target everything regardless of whether it’s problematic. “Vampire stories are bad” is not fair, but I haven’t seen a whole lot of sweeping generalizations like that. Perhaps I’m not looking at the same corners of the forums or IG that you are, but I’ve seen more thoughtfully worded arguments about why a specific incarnation of a bad boy or a vampire LI can be problematic.

Others may not agree with that assessment of something as “problematic.” A lot of comments on this thread include a qualifier like, “Now, I’m not against critiques of content that is actually problematic.” But not everyone may universally agree on what is “problematic” enough to deserve critique. I’m worried about the potential for dismissing people with earnest concerns and reasoned feedback because we assume that if we don’t see eye-to-eye with them on what’s problematic, they must just get off on rudely pointing out stuff for virtually no reason.

I agree with this too, but different things trigger different people. So one of the advantages of people actually sharing their opinions is informing others of topics that some might find triggering.

For what it’s worth, I don’t find the community to be a particularly welcoming place for critical discussion either. I used to be more outspoken about things like sexual assault and homophobia in stories until I got tired of people caring more about tone policing than rapist LIs.

Earlier this year there was discussion of a perceived issue in a story going around which I wasn’t sure I entirely agreed with, but I didn’t have any reason to assume the people doing the criticizing were feigning trauma. Episode eventually dealt with the story in a way that was actually more severe than I would have, so clearly they decided it did violate guidelines. Unfortunately Episode acts more quickly and decisively when something is addressed publicly than when a single person reports something because of the optics. That’s a flaw in the reporting system.

I used to discuss every featured story on the forums because Episode didn’t accept beta feedback. I don’t do that anymore because I’m frankly tired of being indirectly name-called. I do sympathize with authors because having your story publicly discussed is a very, very difficult thing, and that’s why every agent and editor will tell traditionally published authors not to read reader reviews. But I think the Episode community can also be a hostile environment for people who read and review stories. If we disagree with someone’s assessment of how a story deals with something sensitive, it’s worth discussing. But it’s dangerous to make vague comments about how “a certain group of people” is toxic because anyone who’s ever had a critique could read themselves in that, and it may inadvertently create a hostile environment for people who really do want to have constructive discussions.

I wish we’d all give each other the benefit of the doubt more often.

8 Likes

I do too.
There is a very pervasive issue in this community of “if you’re not with me, you’re against me” or “if you don’t agree with me, you’re problematic” type thing.

4 Likes

For sure. And people don’t always feel the same way all the time. I’ve definitely disagreed with people on one issue but not another. Or had different takes on things from people I still like. And I agree that even if a story contains a problematic element, that doesn’t necessarily make the author a problematic person. I think all people are capable of saying or doing things that could be seen as problematic. There’s value in listening and learning.

4 Likes

:100:
Same here. There are even people in the community I dislike in general but still agree with them about certain points.

3 Likes

I’m just a bit frustrated because in multiple threads made to the same tune as this one people show up and turn it into a “problematic stories” argument when that’s not the point of the thread. There are plenty of threads for talking about problematic or toxic content. Can’t we have one thread that isn’t just people taking half the words out of context and twisting the entire point of the thread around?
Not saying you’re doing this, Cee, but that’s where my initial frustration comes in. I’m never going to deny people their right to speak on problematic issues, I’m just tired of threads like this being turned into war zones because people have to add “xyz is problematic” anytime a thread like this shows up.

Yes, but once again, I think there’s a thread for this??

I’m also not speaking about people who do their critiquing in the way (I think?) you’re thinking criticizing should be done. And my statement was more of a general one based on what I see here on the forums and on Instagram. I say “group of people” because those are the ones I see doing such things. That doesn’t mean they’re the only ones doing it, just that they’re the ones I’m noticing.

I guess what I’m saying is my frustration is less with people having critiques and more with people completely missing the point of threads like this over and over again. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That may stem from vague language. Take mafia stories, for instance. When someone makes a very general comment like “let people write mafia stories,” you’ll then get people coming in saying, “but not if it romanticizes XYZ because…”

And while their point may seem obvious to you or others, there are those who could benefit from hearing that viewpoint.

6 Likes

Love when :sparkles: My Queen :sparkles: goes off :clap:t2::clap:t2:

3 Likes

And I completely get this. I guess I just think it would be more beneficial if there was linking to the threads for it?
For example something like: “I don’t agree with these tropes when done wrong but here’s a thread where people discuss problematic issues in stories…” If that makes sense?

I took the thread to be more of a “let us write our unproblematic cliche stories without being thrown into the same bin as the problematic ones” thing than a “you can’t critique problematic authors” thing. I know OP mentions vampire age gaps, gangs, etc. But I wouldn’t say it’s fair to say all of those stories are necessarily problematic. Depending on how they’re written, of course.

4 Likes