OK. So I saw the new Episode official story and thought it would be fun to review it before I review the next story in my list, since I always check Episode stories anyway. Maybe you will find it interesting.
Honestly, I don’t expect to like the story, as Episode lately kinda… Well, u know what I mean. But I’ll give it a chance because sometimes they create decent content. To those who might think, that it’s kinda low to bash story mentioning author names, especially since the author didn’t request the review I’ll say - guys, if you release the story in public, just be ready that you might receive critique, just as much as u can receive praise.
So Here we go with Bad Girl Boss by LadyDianna. I will post screenshots as well, to make it more graphic for u folks.
Note: I don’t have any particular opinion about this author. I know that she wrote Deep Attraction (as I’ve been told), and I tried to read it, but never got past 1st episode, for the reason I don’t remember now. So I don’t have intention to bash the story without having a reason to.
- Description. Oh my. My favorite mafia stories. But hey, let’s not be judgmental. Maybe they don’t praise and romanticize criminals ^^ #optimism #ineedadrink
- OK. We got to customize our character. What’s so hard about putting all the OPTIONS U RELEASED EPISODE? Like seriously. Customization template seems to be dated with 2017 or smthg. I’ll just keep it original.
- I. Want. This. Hairstyle. Now.
- Lack of punctuation is noticed, but I guess it’s just a typo. Still, no excuse for Episode official stories.
- Also. Young MC is named as “Young You”. And yeah, I’m so gonna pay attention to details.
- “I’m a criminal like the rest of my family, and I’m proud of that.” ^^ How cute. Love dedicated and passionate characters. #ineedanotherdrink
- Another punctuation typo… It’s been 3 minutes into the episode.
- And also an astrophysicist, hacker, certified baker, polyglot, world champion in bowling, Guardian of the Galaxy, president of Yugoslavia, the Emperor of Mankind, The Last Airbender, tyrannosaurus, Mother of Dragons, the inventor of a spoon, inquisitor, mammoth hunter, all Pokemon catcher, Paladin…
- Use of non-talking animations for dialogue lines, checked.
- The Love Interest every girl Loves in school and MC who’s not like every other girl. Cause she’s MC.
- On the bright side, LI is not a bad boy. He is kinda cool? Pleasantly surprised, really.
- Well, that was kinda short.
- 4 students in the class. It would take like 2 hours maximally for 1 person to create overlays and add background characters to this scene. Not critical, but kinda… For this specific background, it looks odd. There is another with a single table near the window, where it would look tots normal.
- Sometimes directing is good, sometimes it is sooo dang lazy like it’s author’s first story, and I know it is not. Lazy meaning no background characters, that is noticeable, cause the scene looks very empty, and picked animations…
- Scars! I so want them for regular authors.
- Length seems to get better in this chapter.
- I think we have a new animation here. Something like stroking rear.
- So there are some romantic choices, that doesn’t require gems, but most of them are. Like kissing a love interest for the first time.
- I liked the plotline with MC being in a casual non-serious relationship. I don’t see that a lot. And although MC tends to have some thoughts about LI, that I would describe as dead-cliche, her personality seems to be more developed than Episode usually goes with. But again, it’s initially a user story.
- Yummy dresses, that look great but probably won’t be ever released for regular authors.
- So MC leaves a party, saying she wants to be alone, and in a few hours, as says Narrator, ends up sitting on LI car somewhere in the downtown… Why is it so random?
- MC faints. Dunno a reason behind it, like she hasn’t been drinking at the party, so it seems to be kinda random at the moment like the author just wanted MC to end up in LI apartment. Along with the previous line, this whole night looks far-fetched and poorly developed.
- 4 episodes into the story and no character except for MC changed clothes. I know, some of you might think it’s not a big deal, but it means something for me. It takes time, to keep changing clothes, even for bg characters, but for me, it kinda shows author’s professionalism, if u know what I mean.
- So gang has some sort of dress code. Except for one female gang member, who wears one of the default Episode outfits…
- The fight scene between gangs seems kinda poorly done (for me at least).
- There is one more fighting scene, that involves more than 6 characters. And spot commands are really off. Characters standing nearby are of different scale, like 6 graders and adults.
So this whole mafia plot line. It’s not like I have everything against it as a plot line. There are specific reasons why I hate it most of the time when done in Episode stories. And that is because - not realistic.
I read all 5 episodes, and nowhere it is mentioned what exactly MC gang does. They talk briefly about warehouse, containers. Might be drugs? Or weapons? How does this make the MC good? I dunno. The subject is covered very superficially (at least for these 5 episodes, and it might be explained and developed in later episodes). As it is, for now, it seems to be romanticizing illegal stuff, and I have zero tolerance for this shit.
Directing is okay. And I think “okay” for an episode released story is not acceptable. I see regular authors doing waaaay better job with the directing. Some typos, with the punctuation, but not critical. Default outfits of other than MC characters with the same outfit for all 5 episodes is a kinda lazy approach.
The overall impression is that the story is really average. Really, really average. It’s not bad. I mean dialogues are fine and seem smooth enough. Directing is “eh, it’s okay” kind of. MC and LI aren’t really cliche. I wasn’t hating it while reading, which happens very often with me.
So why I won’t continue it?
Mafia stuff seems to be put to make MC edgy, and add some suspense for the future episodes. But still. My friend, who read this story before, said the gang has weapon business. Maybe. It doesn’t make it better. MC will get her happy ending probably, and gang stuff will be put behind subtly.
Ok, maybe I’m wrong, so let’s put it aside.
Because I’ve seen it all. The plot overall is anything but original. I can read the story, and it won’t be horrible, but… It’s like eating 4 days old bread in a pastry store when I’m surrounded by yummy cupcakes ^^ And I kinda noticed that most of the good comments about the story were made about clothes or features…
Some events are put into story just for the sake of romance development. They don’t make any sense at all, like MC fainting.
The story can be summarized as “very average” and not worth the attention. Maybe it will get better. But c’mon, I’ve read all 5 episodes. I don’t give this big of a chance to surprise me with story at all, and it was in vein…