Copyright for putting character references in episode stories"

Does anyone know/understand if I am allowed to put references (as below) into stories? I didn’t make any character similar to the brothers, or name, but am I allowed to do such? The references/statements are italicized and bolded.

Thank you!

{Also I am writing two stories as once, and this isn’t the previous story I asked for advice on!}

Script

INT. MORGUE - DAY with MORGUE
@.ALANA faces right
@cut to zone 2
@zoom on 0 0 to 100% in 0
@.ALANA spot 0.893 80 208 AND ALANA moves to layer 3
@MDE spot 0.983 209 184 AND MDE moves to layer 2
@overlay 5587333900861440_MORGUE shifts to 220 -1 in zone 1
@overlay 5587333900861440_MORGUE scales to 1.684 1.684
@overlay 5587333900861440_MORGUE moves to layer Max Layer
ALANA (talk_armscrossed_neutral_loop)
So this is the only thing you saw on scene?
Nothing weird? Did you smell any sulfur on the body?
@.ALANA is idle_armscrossed_neutral_loop
MDE (talk_shrug_neutral)
Sulfur? What are you a ghostbuster?
@zoom on 380 415 to 432% in 3
&ALANA is idle_armscrossed_shifteyes_loop
@pause for 3
@zoom reset
MDE (talk_neutral)
I’m just kidding, I know your an EBI agent.
&ALANA is deepbreath
MDE (talk_neutral)
Yea, no. I didn’t see anything Supernaturalish.
No brothers or impala either.
#ALANA

I once had one of my characters mention Guardians of the Galaxy and Peter Quill [StarLord] within the first three Episodes of one of my stories, and they allowed it… because it passed the review no problem and my story was later shelved.

Plus a lot of other people mention characters from Marvel movies in their stories, too. And Episode allowed it.
So I’m assuming it’s fine, however you’re not allowed to mention their real names.

Like if I’d said Chris Pratt [the guy who plays Peter Quill] instead of his character name, then that wouldn’t have been allowed!

3 Likes

Really? I’ve just written a scene where a character makes a reference to marine biologist: Jacques Cousteau. Wonder if that applies as well.

i think real people might be different but referencing other characters from movies and tv is completely fine

2 Likes

No, I think you somehow misunderstood. Because as I said previously… mentioning real people is disallowed. Characters are okay, but not real people.

How’s this, changing Jacques Cousteau to Matt Hooper from jaws?

You still can’t, because you’re using a real person… you can use character names, not real names.

For example: I can mention Spiderman in my stories… but not Tom Holland [AKA: The actor who plays him.]
Or I could mention: Tony Stark… but not Robert Downey Jr. [AKA: The actor who plays him.]

2 Likes

Um, Hooper is the character’s name in jaws, not his actor Richard Dreyfuss. :man_shrugging:

Well then it should be fine.
I can’t say I’ve ever bothered with those movies, so I wouldn’t know the cast! :woman_shrugging:t3: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Moved to Creator’s Corner since this is about story creation. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Concerning real people and references:

In addition, by submitting your story, you agree that it does not include any content that infringes on the intellectual property rights or rights of publicity or privacy of any third party.

This may include using any of the following without permission:

1. Any copyrights or works of authorship of other parties, including excerpts or passages taken from literary works, video games, television or film;
  2. References to corporate or business names; or
  3. Any references to real persons or places.
  1. Brands, Real People and Places
  • a. Brands

• i. Brands cannot be a plot point or drive the story
    • ii. Story cards, backgrounds or overlays cannot contain brand references
  • b. Real People and Places

• i. No images or illustrated likenesses of celebrities or historical or contemporary public figures are allowed as characters or on backgrounds, overlays or story cards
    • ii. Celebrities and historical or contemporary public figures cannot appear as characters
    • iii. Celebrities, historical or contemporary public figures, and real places cannot be a plot point or drive the story.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.