Copyright opinion

Hey everyone.

I’m sure all of you who write on episode are familiar with the guidelines. But I actually happen to have a question about the guidelines regarding copyright issues.

Everyone knows that we aren’t supposed to use copyrighted backgrounds. But I’ve seen some really good pictures that I could use as backgrounds from Pinterest, which I’m not entirely sure if they are a subject of copyright. Let’s say I’ve uploaded them on the portal and they have gotten approved. Could I still use them?

I know the answer would probably be yes, considering they have gotten approved, but I was just wondering as some of those backgrounds I was talking about are art pieces that belong to a certain someone. And I’m not only talking about Pinterest, but I’ve also found some art backgrounds on google. I’ve uploaded them and they’ve gotten approved. But I’m hesitant to use them as I’m trying to avoid drama.

What do y’all think?

1 Like

At times, episode makes mistakes since there’re millions of backgrounds that they need to approve or decline. If a copyrighted background uploaded by you gets approved, it’s probably one such mistake. But if noticed by episode, your story could be taken down eventually, or if not, some drama atleast.
I know there’re some bg’s that are tempting to use but just why, when better options exist? There’re a couple of free bg creators on here as well as Instagram, Episodelife, attribution-free sites like Unsplash, Pixabay et cetera. You can combine different bg’s, add certain overlays to a bg or modify existing bg’s to your desired state. There’re also many commissioned bg artists out there that you can commission to draw bg’s for your story. In that case, taking chances ain’t really necessary :))

3 Likes

I understand that and will keep everything you said in mind.

Out of curiosity, is there a possibility one could get sued for using them?

1 Like

no, nothing on pinterest is theirs, they are like google and just get píctures from where. when

remember you sign this when you uploaded the picture, so episode is in good faith that you are using art you are allowed to use. if not then you are lying that you are allowed to. you are claming this is your art, and since it dosent break other guide lines episode approw it.

2 Likes

I also recomand you read this forum I made on why you shouldnt use stuff from google or pinterest

Explain: why you can not use pinterest or google - Community / Episode Fan Community - Episode Forums (episodeinteractive.com)

1 Like

Alright, I’ve read your thread and now I’m aware that I shouldn’t use them. That little box that I clicked on completely slipped my mind. But thank you for letting me know.

1 Like

Hey, I have a few questions that have been bugging me.

1. I’ve made backgrounds before, but I’ve used certain pngs that I’ve found online to make them. I’ve modified those pngs to a point where it doesn’t resemble the original. Would that still fall into the category of copyright?

2. If I’ve used parts of a different possibly copyrighted picture into my own background to fit my likings, does that fall into the category of copyright?

Yes, tracing stuff is still copyright, I dont care if you trace stuff there is not copyrighted, I do that too sometimes,

yes it does.

Got it! Thank you.

1 Like

Moved to Art Resources since this is about backgrounds. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Not really haha, the only possibility is a reader could dm you asking to remove the copyrighted backgrounds or overlays.
Anyway, goodluck with your story <33

1 Like

Ahhh, I understand. Thank you, and good luck if you’re writing one too :))

1 Like

well and you can get reported, the backgrounds removed, and worst case your story deleted.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.