Cover a part of something with overlays

Hey :smile:! I wanted to vreate a scene, where people sit at a table but obviously it has to look like the people are behind the table and i know that I can do that with overlays, but how exactly? Can someone please make a script example?
I’d really appreciate it :heartbeat:

You’d need to put the table at a higher layer than the people (so, it’s in front of them)

Example: if the people are at layer 1, then the table would be at layer 2. If you put the table at layer 0, it would be behind them.

Check out this on layers: HOW TO: Move Characters / Overlays to the Layers

And check out this on overlays: A Guide to Using & Animating OVERLAYS

Good luck!

1 Like

When it comes to layers:

For character(s):

For overlay(s):

What these symbols mean:

OVERLAYNAME is the overlay name
# means “number”

Examples for a character:

@CHAR moves to layer 1

@CHAR spot 1.280 200 0 in zone 2 at layer 3

Examples for an overlay:

INT. BACKGROUND NAME - DAY with OVERLAYNAME at layer -1

@overlay OVERLAYNAME to layer 5

Hope this makes sense ^^

Yes it does, thank you so much!

No problem!

Also, can have a look at this:

For overlays this command is possible when you want them at a layer (this is for when you want to position them a certain way):

What these symbols mean:

So, for example when you test out your story, move your overlay around and look at your overlay helper on the side, you’ll see these codes:

Now, let’s plug these numbers into INT. BACKGROUND NAME - DAY with OVERLAYNAME to % x y in zone # at layer # as well as replace # with a number.

Here it is:

INT. BACKGROUND NAME - DAY with OVERLAYNAME to 1.0 196 223 in zone 1 at layer 0

Btw, you’d use an existing background of your choice for your scene, as well as an overlay that exists. And these were just example numbers, you will probably come up with different numbers, playing around.