Create and overlay and make it move/bigger

Hey, I’m writing a fantasy story, more specifically a scene where a witch is performing a ritual, I added an overlay using @overlay DARK MAGIC create
Changed the layer so it appeared below her hands, then I used the overlay helper to make it small and place it correctly, but it appeared in zone 1 while the scene is in zone 2, so I had to add zone 2, so:
@overlay DARK MAGIC create
@overlay DARK MAGIC to LAYER -2
@overlay 5918819008708608_DARK MAGIC shifts to 146 87 in zone 2
@overlay 5918819008708608_DARK MAGIC scales to 0.340 0.340 in zone 2

I don’t know what to do from here to make it grow bigger, I tried using overlay helper to make it as big as I wanted and added it with & instead of @, but it appeared in zone 1 and didn’t move. I added in zone 2, still didn’t move, I added in 3, thinking it would work just like the zoom, but it disappeared completely??
Can anyone help?

Have you used @overlay DARK MAGIC opacity 1 in (time)?

Oh thanks! It’s a really great effect, but the overlay still doesn’t move?

1 Like

Use the opacity command to make the overlay visible, then try re-shifting the overlay to the right area.

Make sure the opacity command is before the scale command.
Remove “in zone 2” from the scale command, the zone only needs to be added to the shift command.
If you want your overlay to grow to the scale size of 0.34, it needs to have a starting size smaller than that size. Otherwise if you just have it scaling to 0.34, then it shrinks from it’s default size of 1.0 down to 0.34.

@overlay DARK MAGIC create
@overlay DARK MAGIC to layer -2
@overlay DARK MAGIC shifts to 146 87 in zone 2
@overlay DARK MAGIC opacity 1
@overlay DARK MAGIC scales to 0.1 0.1 in 0
@overlay DARK MAGIC scales to 0.340 0.340 in 3

2 Likes

Moved to Directing Helps and Tips since this is about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! It worked :relaxed:

1 Like

Marked as solved and closed. Thanks @Dara.Amarie! :lock: