Creative restrictions as a result of new guidelines?

Bump :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi, as episode iself said there are stories which are not possible to be changed to fitt the gudielines and Episode has deleted them…of cause you can make like a milion of stories which are “in” the guideines but there are simply themes you cant write about.

Somebody might have briliant story abour 11 years old girl using drugs ending up on street atc…and he cant write it,he has to make her oder but that migh be in conflict with his ideas about her being adopted by somebody …atc…or somebody has idea for hororo story which will be too explicit for the guidelines atc…

If you want to write sweet romance the gudelines change will not touch you at all.

So in general any restriction can at the end have inpact on some ideas which due to it will not be written…yes it is limitation of creativity.

BUT on the other hand there are stil milions of themes that fit the gudelines and there is still a lot we can write here about.

I am not complaining on the new guidelines but saying it doesnt limit anything would be a lye. It is limiting - I mean it is even its purpose to set limits after all.

Bump

Bumping

Bump cause of Ivy being in beta :thinking:

3 Likes

Bump :blush:

1 Like

Bumping

1 Like

Bump since the news of Ivy :neutral_face:

1 Like

Those Ivy Writers are definitely free there I’ll tell you that :neutral_face:

3 Likes

No, it doesn’t take away from an author’s ability to write creatively. However, I think it’s naive to believe that teens don’t know about drugs/alcohol/sex. As a lot of readers and writers are around the teen-age range, a lot of the drugs/alcohol/sex writing is/was coming from the very age group they’re trying to “protect”.

Anyway- back to my point: No, it’s not “restrictive” of creativity in a general sense. I think in some cases, it can force a person to be more creative. And, in others, the content really shouldn’t be written on a 12+ app.

On the flip side of having these guidelines in place: there are still published stories that “don’t break the guidelines” that are just toxic. They make my skin crawl with the way they handle sensitive topics. Even if you report them, they don’t get taken down because “they do not break guidelines”.
So, really, how effective can guidelines be if the creators are featuring stories that break their own guidelines (or at the very least are just this side of the guidelines) and don’t take stories on a case-by-case basis and realize when a story, even if it doesn’t “break” the guidelines, has toxic, triggering, and damaging content. I think that should matter far more than a few uncensored curse words.

3 Likes

Bump :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Bump :smiley:

2 Likes

Bumping :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The new guidelines came into effect a year ago, so bump :slightly_smiling_face:

I think it enhances creativity because you have to think critically as you write and create impactful scenes and compelling characters without the use of gratuitous sexual content or hard drug use, etc.

Overall I don’t think it’s a significant change. It’s simple to code a TW or “fade to black” branch if someone doesn’t want to read a more mature or unsettling scene, and being able to write a 17 year old getting drunk is still pretty lenient.

Many people (from forums, at least) look at rules and typically stay within them. I know if I ever have a question about guidelines people go “I think I read…” which basically implies most of them have almost memorized the writer’s guidelines. :joy:

There are going to people that will always disregard the rules, but we just pray that there are people on the forums that are willing to discuss and talk to authors that create inappropriate content.

I think these rules make sense. :woman_shrugging: Kinda funny that Episode now just chooses to say sexual consent is required. The fact that Episode has to say that out loud-

Antyways, I don’t think it restricts anything. People still have creative freedom and if they choose to abuse it, then I guess all of us will come knocking on their door with some quoted guidelines to school them with.

1 Like