Crime Story Tips

Hey all,

I am currently working on a crime story, and would greatly appreciate an advice and tips on the topic.

Mostly would like advice the subject of how to pace each case and how to create a culmination effect of each case and their consequences, if that makes sense.

If you’re also working on a crime story, then maybe this ‘thread’ could be helpful, and even link your story - I’m curious to see how everyone writes their stories and it would be useful for others.

Thanks in advance!

I was writing about a crime scene and each choice had a good or bad outcome.

Choose the correct one, you move on.
Choose the wrong one, you start over.

I heard there were timed choices or they were adding them, you could always add them for a more intense scene too.

Is it possible to see what kind of code you used for the good and bad outcome? Just so I could have a reference of what to use to start over?

here is just an example

label start

CHARACTER
just some Dialog.

choice
“run”{
}
“hide”{
}
“fight”{
}

say you want them running to be the wrong option
after they die in the choice just put

goto label start

it will take you back to the choices so you can pick again

as for timed choices…

Why didn’t I realise that about the choice omgg thank you so much!

Oh, btw, what’s the name of your story? I’d love to check it out :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!
My story’s name is Novacaine but I’m still in the process of writing it.

Kill everyone except the dog.

Ah I have heard of your story it sounds soooo good!

Also, if you’re doing crime investigation I reckon timed choices, gains and bonus information would really make your story a fun read.

Perhaps with choices if someone asks a particular question someone remembers that. This will affect the outcome of the story.

Honeslty, I should do that :joy:

Is there a way for a character to remember a choice in a different episode? I’ve tried looking at the tutorial on the interactive site, but I don’t think I’ve grasped it completely >_<

Okay, I think it is using gains.

Soo, I will try my best today to send you a tutorial on how gains work :sparkling_heart:

Thank you so much and it’s no rush at all- even a video from someone else would be really helpful.

Thanks I think @Dara.Amarie is really helpful regarding gains :blush:

I have a crime story published, the beginning is kind of shit because I started it a while ago but I still like writing it :joy:. My recommendations, are basically what everyone else has been saying. Choices, choices, choices. Also, for my stories I never allow a do over (unless the character dies lol) which makes it necessary for the reader to be more engaged and pay more attention. I drop some clues here and there that basically tell you everything you need to know if you are paying attention. Let me know if you need any help with any of the writing, coding, or especially branching if you are going to include a lot of choices. Lol sorry for the long answer!

Yeah, I was thinking about not restarting depending on the situation - I think I would also like to have a way where you can navigate relationships that surrounds the main characters, in a point system type of way with each dialogue, and at the end, a certain amount of points for the supporting characters will determine a characters fate.

Yes! I use a point system in mine and it is really fun and actually super easy to use! I highly recommend it.

Oof sorry but as aprill said perhaps opt for a points system instead of gains maybe certain answers/choices will give you certain points which unlocks a scene :heart: