Cringe Stories - What to avoid!

Hey guys, I am currently on my second story that isn’t published cause everything i write makes me feel insecure cause when i read it all i think is that it’s cringe.

Can you tell me some techniques that make readers hooked to the story without it being CRINGE

3 Likes

having someone read it before it’s out, second opinions help.

1 Like

Is that what a proof reader is? i’ve heard about it but i’m not sure :joy:

1 Like

Proofreader is for grammar, Betta reader is for reading it before it’s out to see if it’s good or not.

2 Likes

Thank you! :yay:

1 Like

boost

This probably won’t help but maybe I’m writing a story about something that happened to myself as a kid and I’m so scared I noticed I keep dancing around subjects that I just am not comfortable exposing or just I’m afraid it’ll get back to certain people and they’ll just attack me “verbally” or it’ll help my ex stalker follow me… Plain and simple I’m scared.

3 Likes

Write it, let some time pass, read it again with a different mind. Decide.

2 Likes

Highly unlikely anyone would find you based on a story, or anyone would recognise you based on a story, since things happen to millions of people in the world. You’re not an isolated case.
But change the names of people, places, etc., change minor stuff, don’t make the characters resemble any real life people, small things like that. You can also reverse genders, make male a person who was female in the real life occurrance.

2 Likes

I can suggest u as a reader that basically people like to read interesting and new things and sometimes they prefer to read the same old things. And as for avoiding cringe u shouldn’t include things that makes the reader sound cringey like weird nicknames or you know somethings that don’t really happen in the real world (basically in case of love and all)
Just saying this since many people I’ve seen think that these things make the story cringey

1 Like

That’s a good idea although I have to change some names and characters

2 Likes

That’s a small price in order to make you feel safer. But beware, you can’t delete characters who already appear in the story.

1 Like

Okay I’ll just do my best not to use the real names and double and triple check everything

2 Likes

good idea

1 Like

Will do thank you

2 Likes
  1. Dialogues.
    Use inside joke sparingly. It’s called inside jokes for a reason, as majority of the readers will not be able to relate to it.
    Use basic slang. If you are very familiar with a certain slang (e.g. NY) then go ahead. But if you’re not, don’t try to imitate their slang at every line.
    Character development affects their responses. It doesn’t have to be 100% accurate psychologically, but try to make it realistic. I mean, even if you’re writing a fantasy stories these general rules should always stand.

2. Avoid cliches and tropes
    Since you mentioned that you’re not an experienced author, it’s best you avoid writing tropes and/or cliches in your story as it’s very easy for you to fall into the “other character” syndrome (basically a different identity for a character who’s already written and is well established. e.g. Regina from Mean Girls, and you’re writing the exact same mean girl like Regina)

3. Be honest to yourself
    Let me tell you something: you will think your story is cringe.
    Mainly it’s because you’ve been reading the same story for a million times before publishing it, you won’t have the same enthusiasm as you had while writing. Therefore, you might worry that the readers will think the same.
    Be confident. First steps are hard, BUT do not give up!

4. Ask honest reviews/opinions/feedbacks from readers
    You will get better day by day, which makes perfection a goal, but not a milestone.
    Continue to learn what can make your story better.

5 Likes

bump

We’re you talking to me?

Uhh I was telling the creator of this thread i.e., IEatBabies

Okay