Cultural Appropriation and Clothing

Hello all!
As I am creating outfits, I’ve noticed a few accessories or pieces that I would like to use for my characters, though I don’t know if I can. The mala beads and jade accessories both work well with outfits, but would they be offensive? Would it be considered cultural appropriation to use them? Additionally, if a character is meant to be an older woman, could I use a headscarf for her outfit?
Please let me know. I do not intend to offend, insult, or mock anybody. I love you all, and I don’t want to do something that’s not right!
Thank you. xo!

2 Likes

@amberose
@ShanniiWrites

I can only speak for my own regligion. not even I think I can only speak for myself. and that is I dont care. I am christian. I dont care how you use the cross. people here on episode know we have limit acess to stuff.

perosanlly. i would mean its stupid to be offended over that. but again I dont have the same regligios belive as other people. so I cant speak for them.

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t really fit into any other category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

To be honest, it’s a really sticky subject. I’d avoid using the Mala and Payal because they have a pretty specific use. Mala beads are the Hindu equivalent of a rosary and all of them look pretty much exactly the same. I don’t consider it cultural appropriation, but I do think it’s a good idea to stick to what Episode outlines for these assets so as not to cause offence.

Cultural appropriation is in the eye of the beholder, but as a good rule or thumb, if you’re not sure then leave it out. There are very few things I consider to be appropriation on Episode and it completely depends on the context, but if you’re worried about other people’s opinions, I can promise they’ll comment if you use the “Cultural Update” in a way that doesn’t line up with the name of the asset.

2 Likes

how do I know what the outlines are for the assets are?

Pretty much the name. If they have a clear, “cultural” name like Mala, you’re probably best leaving it for its “proper” use

I do think cultural appropriation is important when it comes to clothing, but I don’t think clothing assets such as a headscarf, is offensive. I know for a fact older women like to wear headscarves with their outfits sometimes; I don’t find it offensive. However, there are clothing assets who look a bit similar to headscarves and I think those are things people wear for certain religions (and cultures of course).

Yeah my grandma do that. an me too sometime in the summer because I always get sun burn

1 Like

thank you!