Dangers of commission and freelance artists

In April I came across this Instagram page, that did art commissions, and their art was amazing and beautiful. So I got some art commissioned, it was literally just a family portrait, and then it was early this week that I and everyone else who got commissions off this artist were approached by an illustration company. Turned out the guy who charged us, had a pirated version of their programmed which meant he illegally used their property for commercial use. The idiot I am, never bothered to do research, I didn’t even have a contract for what I was getting commissioned nor any proof if he had proper licenses. I was charged, so was everyone else for illegally using intellectual property. As someone who is studying law, there was no loop holes for me, I was charged less compared to those who actually used it for their own commercial use, as all I did was print it and frame it.

moral of the story: please please be careful and always do your research when getting art commissioned!!

4 Likes

Well, it’s a good thing I’m broke because I’m not paying for no art. That is what youtube is for, and that is what google is for. Better practice, how to do some art yo self.

4 Likes

haha if only I had the time

1 Like

Well, it’s Christmas break for me, I got 2 whole weeks, I’m going to practice, how to do some arts that way there is no danger. Besides, does that go on your criminal record or does it go on somebody else’s criminal record?

Good luck to you I hope you make the most of your holiday, it doesn’t go on my criminal record I just paid the company and it was left at that, but I’m not sure about the artist.

1 Like

Okay good to know, good holidays to you to

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.