DARA’S GUIDE: How to "FADE" Characters

Now the overlay is not responding

1 Like

I can’t seem to keep looking at my person.

1 Like

This is what it is,
INT. ANGIE BED - DAY
@speechbubble is 220 400 to 100%
@cut to zone 3
@FEMALE spot 1 -150 300 in zone 3 and FEMALE faces right and FEMALE is sleep_lay_uncomfortable_awaken and BABY spot .29 10 450 in zone 3 and BABY is sleep_lay_uncomfortable_awaken and BABY faces right
@zoom on 430 100 to 125% in 1

INT. ANGIE BED - DAY with OVERLAY_2 at layer 3
&FEMALE spot 1 -150 300 in zone 3 and FEMALE faces right and FEMALE is sleep_lay_uncomfortable_awaken and BABY spot .29 10 450 in zone 3 and BABY is sleep_lay_uncomfortable_awaken and BABY faces right
@overlay OVERLAY_2 opacity 100% in 0

1 Like

Yes, finally! Now, I just have one question…What if I want to fade out more than one character one by one? Like:

Dialogue
Character 1 fade
Dialogue
Character 2 fade
Dialogue
Character 3 fade
Dialogue
Character 4 fade
Dialogue

This is what I’m working with so far:
INT. BLACK - NIGHT with BG_OVERLAY_BLACK at layer 2
@overlay 6007706966294528_BG_OVERLAY_BLACK shifts to -48 -370
@overlay 6007706966294528_BG_OVERLAY_BLACK scales to 1.000 1.000
@overlay BG_OVERLAY_BLACK opacity 0.5 in 0
@pause for 2.5
@CHAR 1 spot 1.280 174 3 AND NEV moves to layer 4
@CHAR 2 spot 1.280 61 3 AND TAM moves to layer 3
@CHAR 3 spot 1.280 107 5 AND CHE moves to layer 3
@CHAR 4 spot 1.280 256 11 AND TYR faces right AND TYR moves to layer 3
NARRATOR (NEV)
The main turning point of your whole entire life.
@CHAR 2 moves to layer 1
@overlay BG_OVERLAY_BLACK opacity 1 in 2
NARRATOR (NEV)
Going through this phase isn’t meant for everyone.
@CHAR 3 moves to layer 1
NARRATOR (NEV)
Some may break down and lose their minds,
@CHAR 4 moves to layer 1
NARRATOR (NEV)
Others just might cause all types of trouble.
@CHAR 1 moves to layer 1

It works perfectly when the CHAR 2 fades away but it doesn’t work for the rest of the characters.

1 Like

You need to change the overlay’s opacity back to 0 each time before you have it change to opacity 1

2 Likes

Thank you so much, it works perfectly now.

this was so helpful

What app would you recommend for changing an image into a png? I’m having trouble with that part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m using PicMonkey, but it’s many, many programs online to do it.

1 Like

I’m trying to use my overlays so that they fade in, but the overlays aren’t fading or it’s not showing in the web previewer.

1 Like

Opacity doesn’t show well in the web previewer. You’ll need to test it out in the app.

1 Like

So I tried doing this(except without the fade), but it doesn’t really seem to work. I’ve put one of the characters on layer 1 and the overlay on layer 2 and a different character on layer 3, but the character on layer 1 stands in front of the overlay. Do you have any idea how to fix this? This is the code:

INT. DETENTION CENTER - DAY with DETENTION CENTER at layer 2

readerMessage June 3, 10:21 AM - Detention Center - Visitor’s Room
@cut to zone 2
@YOU spot 1.280 54 -5 AND YOU faces left AND YOU is rear AND EMA enters from right to screen center AND EMA is walk_sad_loop
&YOU moves to layer 3 AND EMA moves to layer 1

Ema is the one who shows up in front of the overlay, while she’s supposed to be behind it.

1 Like

You could also just save the image as a PNG. This is possible to do with almost any program. You just have to click on “Save as…” and then change the file type to PNG

If you want EMA to enter the scene at layer 1, you will need to place her offscreen first at that layer, then have her walk to screen center. When you use “enters from”, it defaults the character at the highest layer.

I’ve tried it and it still doesn’t quite work. EMA stays behind the overlay until she starts her dialogue, after which she moves to layer 3(I think, she’s in front of the overlay). This is the code as I tried it just now.

@cut to zone 2 AND EMA stands screen center in zone 3
&EMA moves to layer 1
@YOU spot 1.280 54 -5 AND YOU faces left AND YOU is rear AND EMA walks to screen center in zone 2 AND EMA is walk_sad_loop
&YOU moves to layer 3

&EMA spot 1.280 80 0 in zone 3 at layer 1
&YOU spot 1.280 54 -5 in zone 2 at layer 3 and YOU faces left and YOU is rear
@cut to zone 2
@/EMA walks to spot 1.280 160 0 and EMA does it while walk_sad_loop

Thank you. It works properly now :slight_smile:

I don’t understand how can I create A png background

You save the background as a png file. You can always just go to a website that converts images to png.

Oh thank u!
Do u know some web?