DARA’S GUIDE: Overlays

Hey, there!!! I’m wondering if anyone can help me. How can I make an overlay shift to another place while a character is talking?? :thinking:

&overlay OVERLAY opacity 0 in S THEN overlay OVERLAY opacity 1 in S loop INFINITE times

&overlay shifts to X Y in S
CHARACTER
Text.

Thank you so much!!! (for replying to another one of my noob questions again :nerd_face:)

1 Like

I have the same question actually…

Can you send a pic of the code?

Hey, about that, I already figured it out, thanks though!

No problem :+1:

Does anyone know how to do the thing were the character is walking in the scene, and moves on to the next without a transition. It’s like the camera is moving with the character. Also how do you calculate the spot x y thing?

Hey Dara, how do you get your overlay to get bigger yet stay in the same position. When I try and make the overlay go from small to big it will shift into the right corner of the screen rather than staying in the same position. Help!

@pan to zone 1 / 2 / 3

&character walks to screen center in zone 2 in 3
@pan to zone 2 in 3

The time on the pan and the time it takes the character to reach its spot has to be the same.

But if you’re using spot directing;

&character walks to spot 1.280 160 0 in zone 2 in 3
@pan to zone 2 in 3

Its pretty much the same either way. But make sure the time are the same on both or it won’t look as effective.

:smiley: Hope that helps xx

So, I have this problem where when I put down the code for an overlay, it changes in the mobile app. It’s really weird because the scale stays the same and so does the y-coordinate. But it’s the x-coordinate that keeps changing and making the overlay go off-screen. For example, TABLE_WITH_ROSES should be at 225 -57 in zone 3, but on the app it says that it’s at 650 -57 and still in zone 3. What do I do?

Thanks so much! It did help a lot.

Hey, does anyone know what “Add colorful layers” mean? Just curious :nerd_face:

It doesn’t work when I do it… Can you give an example (with coordinates)?

My overlay isn’t showing up and I’m not sure what I did wrong…

INT. BLACK - NIGHT with SELFIE MALE 6

@YOU stands screen center

04%20PM

1 Like

Overlays do not work very well with the INT. BLACK - NIGHT and INT. WHITE - DAY backgrounds. You should upload your own all black background and use that instead.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

@Dara.Amarie Hi. Do you know how to stop a looping overlay? I have it on looping infinite times but I want it to stop looping so is there a way I can do this? Please and thank you. :smile:

This is my coding for the loop:
&overlay WHITE_GLOW opacity 0.8 in 0.75 THEN overlay WHITE_GLOW opacity 0.5 in 0.75 loop INFINITE times

I’ve tried everything to get my overlay in place but nothings working. And I keep getting an error message. Please help me