DARA’S GUIDE: Overlays

It’s an overlay built into the background so characters will automatically be placed behind the overlay.

Hey, I was wondering, if I already had a character in my scene and I want to add a limb overlay, and it’s partially blocked by the character, what layer should I code the overlay in?
Thanks

You would need to place the overlay at a higher layer than the character.

1 Like

How do I move 2 overlays at the same time?
I know how to move an overlay, but the other one just waits there till the first one is finished doing its thing.

Use & or “and

&overlay OVERLAY1 shifts to —————
@overlay OVERLAY2 shifts to —————

or

@overlay OVERLAY1 shifts to ————— and overlay OVERLAY2 shifts to ————-

Thank you so much! Works perfectly! :heart:

Ok I’m trying to get this overlay to fade out but not sure why it’s not working…
Everything looks right…

EXT. TAL - RED_PURPLE_BLACK with Q AND A to 1.000 0 241

label QandA

tappable
“Q AND A” {

@overlay Q AND A opacity 0 in 0.5

I get this

WARNING
@overlay Q AND A opacity 0 in 0.5” is not a valid directing command.

Overlay names cannot have the word “and” or “then” because the script confuses them for the and/then commands. You will have to reupload that overlay with a different name without using AND

1 Like

Oh thank you, How did I miss that :woman_facepalming:

I feel stupid now :woman_facepalming::sweat_smile:

1 Like

how to remove an overlay?

Here are the commands for that.

2 Likes

My loop shifting overlay is not working. I use the &, THEN, loop INFINITE times (also, the lower case of infinite, just in case) Perhaps it’s not working because of a weather effect? I have NO idea. It’s really frustrating, trying to fix, looking over the other loop overlay, it just baffled me. The background with overlay is not the issue, it’s working fine. This error kept saying, “&overlay OCEAN - NIGHT shifts to -5 -54 in 1 THEN OCEAN - NIGHT shifts to -76 -60 in 1 loop INFINITE times is not a valid directing command.”

Lemme show you:

EXT. OCEAN - NIGHT with OCEAN - NIGHT to 1.000 -35 -41 with effect HARD RAIN
&overlay OCEAN - NIGHT shifts to -5 -54 in 1 THEN OCEAN - NIGHT shifts to -76 -60 in 1 loop INFINITE times

Anybody please tell me what did I do wrong.

You’re missing the word “overlay” the 2nd time you shift

&overlay OCEAN - NIGHT shifts to -5 -54 in 1 THEN overlay OCEAN - NIGHT shifts to -76 -60 in 1 loop INFINITE times

It WORKED, MY GOD IT WORKED!

I even tried that, adding overlay, too, the first time, but there must be different error because it wasn’t working, too, because of some not valid directing command, it wasn’t clear which.

so I had to redo the part a couple of times again, that previous error must have cleared up and I forgot the overlay, so…
Thank you so MUCH!

So I’m trying to write this scene out where my character is talking but his character on screen is an overlay. I tried moving the overlays really quickly to get the effect of talking, but it isn’t working.
image this is the overlay it starts at called DEREKHURT
image this is the overlay i want it to change to first called DEREKHURT3
image this is the overlay i want it to switch to after DEREKHURT3. this one’s called DEREKHURT2

So I’m trying to write this scene out where my character is talking but his character on screen is an overlay. I tried moving the overlays really quickly to get the effect of talking, but it isn’t working.
image this is the overlay it starts at called DEREKHURT
image this is the overlay i want it to change to first called DEREKHURT3
image this is the overlay i want it to switch to after DEREKHURT3. this one’s called DEREKHURT2

2 Likes

:yay:

1 Like

How do I make the overlay rotate meaning it doesn’t rotate around when the person is playing it, but to actually place it under a 90° angle or something simmilar.

If you don’t understand my messy words, you’ll surely understand this:

https://webglfundamentals.org/webgl/resources/rotation-drawing.svg

But not so it does it in the preview but to actually be at that angle since the begining of the scene.

@AshleySky16 did you take this into account?

yes i did.

1 Like