DARA’S GUIDE: The Points System

OK, so if the reader gains 0 fail points, that option will show up for them, where their character was quick to react, correct?

There’s actually a weird glitch that occurs and even though character points are all set to 0 for every character in the beginning when you start, the script appears to ignore this so you’d have to manually write in your script:

@FAIL =0

Other people have this issue as well:

Also if you have gains, etc. and you want to re-play your story/episode, you should reset story progress when doing another play through.

2 Likes

It really depends on what you’re having be calculated for the reader. For example, if you include a language option for every chapter, if the reader is choosing another option like French instead of English, you can reset character points for this. If you’re choosing a love interest or playing as a girl or boy (you can also use gains for this) then can keep the point the same. If you have other options, like personality points, I recommend not to reset them. Points are a good way to show bonuses as well.

It’s really all up to you. To plan out when the points should be given and when you should show the reader they have those points or unlock bonus scenes for them, you can use a journal and keep a rough script of everything.

I have a question. What if the reader earns no points and then they pick a choice that subtracts a point from them when they have none, if I wanted to allow them to check the amount of points they have, would it just show up as 0 points or will it be the a negative number

So I have a question…When doing the category like RESPECT or ROMANCE how can I make the points get added or subtracted for that one category?

It’ll be a negative number.
In my opinion the point system can be tricky when using subtraction, if you’re not tracking the multiple ways they can gain and lose points and therefore the multiple outcome of points they can end up with. So in that case if they have 0 and they clicked on something that subtracted 2 points they would have -2 points. And say the next choice they make subtracts another 2 points then they’ll have -4 points. And they’ll have to make better choices to make up for those and to get into the positive numbers otherwise they’ll continue further in the negative points and it’ll be harder to make up for that especially if you’re not keeping track of it and/or adding in ways for them to redeem themselves.

1 Like

If I’m understanding your question correctly, it’s as she shows, you just use the @ command with the name of the point system and whether they add or subtract a point. Example:
If you have points called Respect and another called Romance then:

@ROMANCE +1
Or
@ROMANCE -1

@RESPECT -2
Or 
@RESPECT +2

You can use as many at a time too so:
@ROMANCE +1
@RESPECT +2

Ohhh now that makes more sense, tysm! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh okay thank you so much for explaining that to me!

1 Like

How about a code for multiple LIs?
Like maybe 5 LIs for the ending?

So if I have two outfits in one episode I want to remember, how do I go about that? @Dara.Amarie

I am terribly late to this post lol

If I am writing a story and I am using a timed choice with 2 options how would I use the point system? Say the first option is good and second is bad. :confused:

i’m trying to do a choice scene where the reader can choose where they go on a date with their LI but i cant seem to find a template for it

Bump :sauropod:

I still don’t get it

could someone help me with this

i don’t know what i did wrong i could really use your help please @Dara.Amarie

Bump!!

1 Like

Do you need to make a new romance caracter for each character? or how does that work?

FEMALEAVATAR (listen_phone_angry_loop)

choice
“Tell her” {

FEMALEAVATAR (talk_phone_angry_loop) +1
I got rejected again! it's literally the 8th time
    FEMALEAVATAR
I didn't know it was this hard to find a place to stay

&FEMALEAVATAR is listen_phone_happy_loop

STEPHANIE (talk_phone_neutral_loop)
I see.. i guess i called at the right time because i have a place for you

&STEPHANIE is listen_phone_excited_loop

FEMALEAVATAR (talk_phone_excited_loop)
Oh my god! really?

&FEMALEAVATAR is listen_phone_excited_loop

STEPHANIE (talk_phone_happy_loop)
Mmm come over in the evening

}
“Hide it” {

FEMALEAVATAR -1 (listen_phone_happy_loop)
Oh its nothing, why'd you call

&FEMALEAVATAR is listen_phone_excited_loop

Just called to check on you, did you find a place

FEMALEAVATAR (talk_phone_sad_loop)
No its literally the 8th time, i didn't know it was this hard to find a place

&FEMALEAVATAR is listen_phone_sigh
Oh that’s why you were so upset…?
&STEPHANIE is listen_phone_confused
FEMALEAVATAR (talk_phone_neutral_loop)
I guess…
&FEMALEAVATAR is listen_phone_sigh
Well why didn’t you just tell me
FEMALEAVATAR (talk_phone_neutral_loop)
Just cause
Well… i do have a place if you’d agree of course…
FEMALEAVATAR (talk_phone_happy_loop)
Anything just has to be close to my workplace
STEPHANIE (talk_phone_excited_loop)
Mmm… come over in the evening…

}

why doesn’t the points show in the readermessage its not showing anything

You don’t have any readermessage in your script above…