DARA’S GUIDE: The Points System

I think I am more confused than ever now haha I think I won’t touch the points system just yet.

3 Likes

Basically, you need to keep track of the points yourself. There isn’t anything that shows readers their total point score. The only way to let a reader know how many points they have is if you tell them (either using the narrator box, or a reader message saying something like “You have this many points”)

If you wanna keep track of them, I’d suggest using a calculator.

It’s what I did. :expressionless:

That definitely will not help.

I don’t think you can. I’m sorry, if anything, either limit them amount of points, or say you gained an extra 5 points.

You also should probably tell them to use a calculator.

To figure out how many points they have. :confused:

That’s not really ideal to make a reader calculate.
I’ve given up using this.

Personally, I use the point system to build relationships between your characters and the other characters in the story. But when I make choices, I use below 1 as a negative relationship, and anything above 1 is considered good.

2 Likes

Just a question if we write something like this (used your example)

GIRL (talk_flirt)
Hi, it’s nice to meet you.

choice
“Be nice” {

BOY (talk_happy_smile) +2
Such a pleasure to meet you!

} “Be neutral” {

BOY (talk_neutral)
Oh hi.
@BOY +1

} “Be mean” {

By +1 and and +2 you mean it will add points and if I wrote it like -1 AND -3 then it will subtract the points of the characters…

But why use this
What the meaning of this one I don’t get it
Or does that mean if the character have this many pooints less or more if/she would be able to do the thing that they can’t when they don’t have enough points??

BOY (talk_flirt)
Do you want to go on a date with me?

if (BOY > 1) {

GIRL (talk_excited)
I would absolutely love that!

} elif (BOY = 1) {

GIRL (talk_shrug)
Yea that sounds fine.

} else {

GIRL (talk_repulsed)
Ew as if, loser!
}

Please correct me if I’m wrong…

1 Like

Yes to both questions.

Thank you…

I tried to use this but I’m wondering how to get the tab from the top down the way to show them they earned/lost points.

Never mind I searched through your help thread. I found the answer. THANKS SO SO SO MUCH!

This was really helpful but I have a doubt. Let’s say I am giving points to character X who is MC. Now how can I calculate the points gained by the MC and display it at the end. I don’t think I can do it manually due to severe number of branching.

Thank you in advance.
-Yazhin.

Unfortunately, you’d have to track and calculate the points yourself if you want to let your readers know their exact score.

I might sound stupid asking this but I dont get the

or

Example:
if (BOY > 1) {

GIRL (talk_excited)
I would absolutely love that!

} elif (BOY = 1) {

GIRL (talk_shrug)
Yea that sounds fine.

} else {

GIRL (talk_repulsed)
Ew as if, loser!
}

Is > on (BOY > 1) different from = on (BOY = 1)

Yes, they’re different.
(BOY > 1) means greater than 1, which gets an excited answer because BOY was nice
and (BOY = 1) means equel to 1, which gets a neutral answer because BOY was neutral to the GIRL

1 Like

Oh so I get it now thanks <3

Let’s say at the end I want the reader to know their score. For example, LOVE = 3, FRIENDSHIP = -2, HONESTY = 9 etc. How would I do that?

Yes you’d have to keep track of the points yourself and tell the readers what their score is by using a narrator box or reader message.