DARA’S GUIDE: Typed-in Choices

Thank you! & thank you for replying so fast, I probably would’ve never figured it out XD

1 Like

No problem :wink:

1 Like

Hey Dara, how do you give the reader a limited amount of trys to get the code right?

You’ll have to use DARA’S GUIDE: The Points System.

Inside the “else” add points to any character, so if they keep getting the wrong answer, the reader will gain a point each time.

So in the example below, you only get 3 tries to answer, so if the reader gains 3 points then they no longer have any more chances.

label unlock_code

input What is the passcode? | What is the passcode? | Unlock(CODE)

if (CODE is “Apple”) {
NARRATOR
Correct! You’ve unlocked the door!
goto open_lock

} else {

if (CHARACTER = 3) {

NARRATOR
Sorry, you’ve reached the maximum amount of tries.
goto failed_lock

} else {

@CHARACTER +1
NARRATOR
Code incorrect. Please try again.
goto unlock_code
}

}

label open_lock
#scene for opened lock here
goto merge_branches

label failed_lock
#scene for the failing to open lock here
goto merge_branches

label merge_branches
#continue the story here

1 Like

Thank you

@Dara.Amarie
Sorry i don’t think I get it…
this is my code

this is the char

am I doing this right? would it show the reader their choosen name? if not please tell me what I have to change ??

The display name needs to be YOU since that’s what you put as the answer part in the input code.

1 Like

Bump :ice_cube:

Hello, I’ve tried doing this, but it keeps coming up as error, can you help me with it?

I have a question, and I’m not sure if you’ve already answered it but I haven’t found it yet lol. If we are using your custom template, and are allowing our readers the option to pick the characters name, what do we put in for @FEMALEAVATAR? Do we still use the characters name, or do we use @[NAME] ?

TIA :blush:

1 Like

Awesome thank you! So would the only time I would use [NAME] is if another character is referring to the MC then?

Yes, [NAME] would only be used in dialogue.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you explain what the meaning of the end part like for ex “Input What is your name? | What is your name? | Done (NAME)” whats the “DONE(NAME)”. part for and what would happen if it were to be changed. If that makes sense

1 Like

Thank you for explaining to me

So I know how to let the readers choose their name, but I don’t know how the characters will call them that. Any help?

It’s all explained in the guide above. Read number 3 and then look at the examples.

Do you know how to code for when you make a season 2 of a former story but like create a new story to do it?