Dear americans, what's the election about?

it elects governors, senates, and house of representatives

presidential elections are every four years and these elections are every year.

Ahh well, I’d like to go a bit into detail since I really like to keep up with politics. The United States government is broken up into three branches: The Executive Branch (aka The White House/President), The Judicial Branch (aka courts, judges, The Supreme Court), and Legislative Branch (aka Congress which is basically the Senate and House of Representatives). Basically, what the midterm elections were about was about voting for representatives for the Senate and House of Representatives. There are currently 100 senators. Each state in our country has two senators regardless of population. However, we also have the House of Representatives. We currently have 435 members. The more population a state has, the more representatives they have. Both the Senate and the House of Representatives have equal power and they are most often always both referred to as Congress. To go further into detail, the Legislative branch creates our laws here in the U.S. Which is why it was very important to vote. In the U.S., we have two main political parties, the Republican Party and the Democrat Party. Each party holds different beliefs as to how our country should be run. Voting is important because who we vote for, shapes our country. If you have any more questions feel free to tag me or to pm me. :upside_down_face:

This is where I crack my knuckles and write furiously. Politics is something I am extremely interested in.

I don’t need to say much on this because this basically sums up the way the American political system works. I will add, though, that they do this to prevent tyranny and one person ruling the whole of the country. Spreading out the power and having each branch be able to “put the others in their place”, as it were, with a series of checks and balances was a good way to stop the country from effectively having an elected king in the 18th Century.

The interesting (and, in my opinion, ridiculous) thing about American politics is the voting system. Basically, people don’t directly vote for the president they want. There’s this weird electoral college system which means, in short, that Americans vote for people who will then vote for the president. They usually vote for the person who has the most support among the people, but that isn’t always guaranteed. That means a presidential candidate (someone running for president) could have a lot of support, but the electoral college could vote the other candidate in. That’s what happened with Trump. Hilary actually had a higher percentage of the public vote, but wasn’t voted in.

This can happen in both the US and the UK, but it is a LOT more prevalent in the US because of the electoral college system. In the UK, we vote for MPs, who band together as a party and the head of that party becomes the Prime Minister. The problem is that both America and Britain have a “first past the post” system of voting, which means you go and vote in your area and whoever won the most votes in that area will become the MP for that area.

That doesn’t sound so bad, right? Well, imagine this: 20 million people all vote for one party, but all 20 million of them belong to the same two areas. The party will win those two areas by a landslide. Then imagine 15 million people voted for the other party, but they’re spread out across the country: 1.5 million in 10 areas. They’d win those areas a little harder, but they’d still win and so there would be 10 areas for one party and 2 areas for the other, even if the party with 2 areas got more votes! It’s ridiculous.

Now on to the current election. This is what’s known as a midterm. It’s a chance for people to vote in members of the government to either oppose or support Trump. If you hate what a president is doing, this is the change to try to vote in more opposition to the legislative branch to make it harder for them to pass laws.

In the UK, we had a general election last year (in 2017). Unlike the US, we don’t have fixed times for the Prime Minister to serve. Well, actually we do. Prime Ministers can only serve for 5 years and then they have to call another general election (so our next general election is set to be held in 2022), but prime ministers don’t have to serve that long. If they get a vote of no confidence or if 2/3 of the House of Commons votes to have another election, they can make it happen earlier. That happens a lot and that’s what May did in 2017. Silly her, what she thought she could do is trigger the vote to happen early when the Conservative party had more support, gain loads of support on her terms, fill the House of Commons with the Conservative Party and then rule for another 5 years. That’s what she thought. Turns out people don’t like the Conservatives as much as she’d hoped for, so now it’s not as strong as it was.

Both systems are terrible because they’re first past the post. Having constituencies (the fancy name of the “areas” I was talking about) means that winning in each constituency is more important than having more people in the whole country want you to run. Each area is treated as if it is a voter, instead of each person. It makes people feel like their vote doesn’t matter if they’re in an area that is firmly supportive of one party or another.

Proportional representation all the way! If you have 57% of the popular vote, you should have 57% of the seats in government!

The electoral college is a great thing. The leader of the country shouldn’t be represented by only four cities in the whole country.

We have representatives because America isn’t a democracy, it’s a republic, as it should be.

This is why we aren’t a democracy outright.

Hillary only won 10 states…10 states out of 50. That doesn’t sound like someone who should win. We have the electoral college because the rest of the country matters, too.

What do you mean by this?

America is a democratic republic. A democracy is a country that votes for its leadership. A republic is a country without a king or queen. It’s a bad democracy, but it is still a democracy.

She also won the popular vote, which means more people voted for her, even if the electoral college didn’t. That means the electoral college system isn’t listening to the people.

That isn’t how the electoral college works.

America isn’t a democracy, meaning the “popular vote” isn’t the only thing that matters. Hillary won 10 states and 4 cities. That’s it. Donny won everything else. 40 states. And he still didn’t win by like a huge margin.

Electoral college

“Hillary won 57 counties, Trump won 1000 something, Hillary almost won” - this is why we have the electoral college.

You realise there are two different types of democracy right? The second is “representative democracy”, where you, the people, vote for representatives to act on your behalf. I suggest opening a politics book. America is a democracy.

Democratic republic. Not a democracy. We are a republic.

What’s the first word in “democratic republic”?

Dude…it is a republic. A democratic one. That doesn’t make it a democracy outright. We vote, that’s pretty democratic, but we have representatives, not a popular vote.

America is a republic = fact

Honey. It is called a democratic republic because it is both a republic and a democracy. You can be both.

As I said, a democracy is where the people vote. A republic is a country with no monarch.

I see you continue.

I’ll leave this here, you can wallow if you want, but you’re wrong. It isn’t a democracy.

I don’t know why I bother though. I know you won’t read it. Anyways. Toodles

https://www.ducksters.com/history/us_government/democracy.php

http://www.civiced.org/resources/publications/resource-materials/390-constitutional-democracy

This is from the dictionary:

Is the United States a democracy or a republic?

One of the most commonly encountered questions about the word democracy has nothing to do with its spelling or pronunciation, and isn’t even directly related to the meaning of the word itself. That question is “is the United States a democracy or a republic ?” The answer to this, as with so many other questions about meaning, may be phrased as some form of “it depends.”

Some people believe that a country calling itself a democracy must be engaged in direct (or pure) democracy, in which the people of a state or region vote directly for policies, rather than elect representatives who make choices on their behalf. People who follow this line of reasoning hold that the United States is more properly described as a republic , using the following definition of that word: ”a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law.”

However, both democracy and republic have more than a single meaning, and one of the definitions we provide for democracy closely resembles the definition of republic given above: “a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections.”

So if someone asks you if the United States is a democracy or a republic, you may safely answer the question with either “both” or “it depends.”

Educate yourself honey.

You can believe what you want.

You’re still wrong.

I don’t need to just believe it when one of the articles I gave you was FROM the US government. Look up the definition of a democracy and open a politics book. You and I both know you had to look past loads of “the US is a democracy” stuff to find the little article you found

http://www.ushistory.org/gov/1c.asp

https://www.state.gov/j/drl/democ/

Oh by the way, this is the document from the US government calling itself a democracy

Same. But you didn’t look at it. Of course.

Anyway, toodles.