Description about LI

How do you guys describe the LI when the first time seeing him\her?
My story: The MC bumps into the LI in the streets by accident! And then I have this art scene that shows the LI.

1 Like

I try to make it seem like I’m seeing them for the first time.
I describe their looks and how it makes me feel or I describe the vibe of the scene

3 Likes

I generally just describe them briefly, how they come across or their style or points about their height/stature etc if it’s remarkable, because you notice a lot more details after being close with someone and being able to observe them a lot more closely over a longer period of time (so, after knowing them for awhile for example: a mole on the edge of their eyelid you never noticed before or finding out their lashes are longer once you’ve seen them close their eyes up close). Although varies depending on how shy my MC is, because if she’s shy, she’s less likely to observe and make eye contact with the LI, hence not being able to describe them as much or as well as an MC who doesn’t shy away or isn’t afraid to observe.
Sometimes I don’t describe them at all until sometime afterwards, like in a later scene or chapter because my MC was focused on matters at hand rather than observing said LI and doesn’t reflect on them until later or because they didn’t exactly see them clearly etc.

I also typically avoid anything that’s like purple prose (where they seem to exaggerate features and describe them in a poetic way) because it’s more unrealistic and in my own opinion — cliché/overdone. Some people really like that though and that’s good for them. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Sorry, this is so long. :skull: I wasn’t planning on typing that much tbh—

3 Likes

I try to have my MC meet the LI in the most subtle, casual way. Like, at the park or restaurant perhaps,
I also write about how the MC was starstruck, but not too obsessive over meeting them. :]

1 Like

Do not, DO NOT by any means make it “love at first sight” that is the most cliche, unrealistic, impractical, unbelievable, unfeasible, improbable (do you want me to go on?) storyline ever. It’s about pacing. I stop reading a story if I see “first sight” unless it’s a baby or something.

2 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.