Detention At College

Am I the only one who finds it really ridiculous when stories where your MC is supposed to be in college, have MC end up getting detention as a form of punishment?

College isn’t High School. You’re paying money (often times out of your own pocket), to attend a certain school. You’re a legal adult and are expected to act like one. If you don’t go to class, teachers aren’t missing out: you are.

At best, if you miss enough class you will fail or get dropped from the course, but not detention.

I think it would do college related stories well to be a bit more realistic with how life goes at college, because the whole “detention” thing is too silly, not to mention inaccurate.

13 Likes

Here in Australia (and some other countries), college is equivalent to Highschool, so could be a mix up in translation :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Otherwise I can understand what you’re saying because in University (I’m guessing is the same as College for you?) The most they can do is kick you out of class if you’re being a nuisance or fail you if you just aren’t doing the work.

3 Likes

Yes, University is College for where I am, and typically the stories I read with college setting have the MC graduating from High School to College, so I assume it’s a University. In which case, getting detention at a University is just…
:confused:

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

American school system always confused me aha
I get confused when I read some stories about the characters ages or like how things work

4 Likes

A thing that confuses me is middle school, I can never understand if in America is the same as here or not.

2 Likes

Where I am, Elementary school is grades Kindergarten to 6th Grade (5-12 yrs old).

Middle School is (12-14 yrs old) 7th/8th Grade.

High School is (14-18 yrs old) 9th to 12th Grade.

Here you go to Middle School from 6 to 11 years old, Middle school from 11~12 to 13~14 years old, High School from 14 to 19 years old, but you can drop at 16.

1 Like

For me its been primary (6-12 years old) then College (12-18 years old) then University at however old.

2 Likes

Here on my side of Australia high school isn’t equivalent to college…? :thinking: Hahahaha!

2 Likes

Exactly. And university doesn’t have class bells either.

5 Likes

Well we call it both so idk now haha

2 Likes

Hahahaha! I’ve always know TAFE, college and university to be what you go to after high school ends, just depending on what course you take. Though none of them have detentions anyway

2 Likes

I guess it’s different in different parts of Oz.
Yeah I would feel weird asf if I got a detention when I was in Uni lol

2 Likes

Hahahaha same! I was like “What?” When I see “college” in a story I immediately think of uni. There are some high schools that say “College” in their names but they’re usually Catholic schools I think?

But yes if someone in a story is at uni/college and getting detention… maybe that’s because the author is 13 and doesn’t know any better?

4 Likes

What? I never came across a story like this :sweat_smile: In French, “collège” is middle school. So maybe the author is bilingual and is mixing these two up?

I had friends who would go to high school at a university. The university was attached to the high school, making them the same establishment. Those friends would often then continue their studies there after graduating high school without having to apply to any other unis, since they were already part of one. Since those universities are attached to a high school, maybe they have the same rules and punishments, even for their university students? I’ve never been to one of those unis though and I’m not really in contact with those people anymore, so I wouldn’t know the answer to that. It’s just a possibility that the author is one of those rare students that studied in a high school attached to a university and is showing that in her story.

6 Likes

Also you don’t stop at a locker between classes. I have read stories where the characters were supposed to be in college, not high school, yet were stopping at lockers, etc.
There aren’t lockers at college.

4 Likes

Also, I hate when the author writes the characters going to their lockers. I don’t know about anywhere else, I live in the US, but colleges/uni don’t have lockers.
Most stories written like this are probably by high schoolers.

5 Likes

Yup no lockers at my uni either.

I only have lockers for when I go for labs lol

2 Likes