DIALOGUE HELP: Friend conversations

Hey! I’ve been trying to think of some funny conversations between my MC and her best friends but I can’t figure out how to start and thought it’d be helpful to ask the forums.

Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Hey! I’d love to offer some advice. First, let me ask, are your characters in high school or college? Or are they out of college? Age definitely plays a big role in the kinds of conversations you have w friends !

2 Likes

Thank you so much! yes they are in high school.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’d say the majority of ‘funny conversations’ in high school revolve around stupid incidents. maybe include something like a first date gone wrong or falling out of your seat when the fire alarm goes off. or, better yet, create a dynamic between the characters where they playfully make fun of each other. I think the latter option is definitely more natural.

in my opinion tho, you need to build the personalities of the characters well because if not, the scene will kinda fall flat. then again, it also depends what your goal is. if you’re trying to make the readers laugh, you definitely need to think more carefully through the scene you’re writing. if you’re just trying to display your characters being silly, then it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

This really helped so much! thank youuu :heartpulse:

1 Like

ah, but I feel like the advice I gave was too vague!! I’m sorry ://

I’d say just base the joke off your characters personalities and their environments. the joke won’t make sense or be funny if it’s kinda thrown in there.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever read Mindreader by Alusza, but she has a few scenes in the story that are funny to the reader AND it shows the characters personalities. I don’t know how to explain it without giving spoilers, so I’ll blur it if you haven’t read it

The MC, Bee, ended up staying at her LI’s house because she was too drunk to go home. One of the LIs ended up confessing his feelings towards her that night, but the next day they both pretended like it didn’t happen. The first thing the LI said to her that morning was “Do you want cereal?” Fast forward to a few days later, the MC gets frustrated with the LI because they never discussed what happened. So, the LI said, “Well maybe if you would’ve had my f*cking cereal we could’ve talked”

2 Likes

Hello @AshlynSaji, I’m Sydney the moderator. Welcome to the forum! :smiley: I’ve moved this thread to Share Feedback since you’re asking for dialogue prompts and not coding help. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.