Digital art tips?

Hi! Some of you may have seen my last thread. In it, I introduced myself to the forums! It is here

I said that I was good at art, but I have never tried digital art. Well, I want to! Do any of you have any good apps, sites, tips, or videos I could see? I’d love some help with this. I want to be good at it, but with skill comes practice… and I can’t practice if I don’t know where to start!

If any of you have any pointers, applications, videos, or websites, I’d greatly appreciate the help! Thanks!
~Jamiex2 (Moshix2)

3 Likes

When I did my first one I went to google and looked up different poses to do, and based it off that.
Getting to do different poses has helped me a little bit.

As you can see I’m pretty great lmao

Dont judge me

TAyle

5 Likes

Dead :joy::joy::rofl:

3 Likes

I love the 2nd one

2 Likes

Hello!!
I mainly use three apps for editing and different art, I use Picsart, Ibis paint x, and Bazaart. All of them are free!!!

Tip: If you are wanting to watch a tutorial on episode art, do NOT look on youtube, Youtube does not contain very many, or very good, tutorials that teach you the things you want to learn. Trust me I know, I was trying to find out how to do custom hair and 5 out of the 5 tutorials I watched said in the title they would teach you how to do custom hair but all of them just showed you how to color it :joy::joy:. I’d say go on Instagram and practice by looking at photos and fast edits.

Best of luck with editing!!

4 Likes

Thanks, me too

3 Likes

She thicccc :joy:

2 Likes

thicccer than a snicker

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I’m not an expert or a really good editor, but I recommend using Ibis Paint X. It’s an application for your phone that is easy to work with, and great for beginners! I use that application on my phone (iPhone 6) and just use my finger to draw. You really don’t need anything fancy!

Here is what I have made recently with just my phone and my finger (it's not that good)

All that you really need is practice. Start tracing episode characters (not anybody else’s art!) and then color them in. Many accounts on Instagram provide useful tutorials, such as @epitutorials and @tutorialsbyleli which are very useful! I started making episode edits more seriously at the beginning of July, and now, I’m starting to get the hang of it. Try different styles, and see which one you like best. If you want to work on coloring, outline contests are a great resource. You can try out different methods of coloring, and, get some exposure from larger accounts if you win.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this! And your art is amazing!

1 Like

Hi, I’m just here to stop by an say your art is amazing, and I really like the lighting and shading. I’m literally feeling dumb here since I can’t draw on a phone, phones are so hard to draw on!

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

I usually use ibisPaint X for all my editing. When I started it was quite difficult since I didn’t even know how to draw digitally. I kinda played around with the tools and figured it out. IbisPaint also has some tutorials on youtube that you can search up. I believe that if you learn how to use the app properly you can do amazing wonders. I also tried out another app: Medibang Paint at one point. It is amazing, and I love the brushes. To me this app produces amazing outlines. Also the last one I tried out was Autodesk Sketchbook. For me this app is amazing for basically everything, especially if you do Pop Art. Overall I think it would be a good idea to test out all these apps, and then you can pick the one you feel really comfortable with using. By the way welcome to the community, and if you need any help or someone to talk to I’m here :slight_smile:
– Maryanne

1 Like

Thanks! This is a big help! I will be sure to play around with all of these a bit!

1 Like

Yeah the title says it all- I started doing digital art and it really does not work out for me. I know nothing about how to use the app although I do know its a really good app.

So, I was looking for someone I can ask for some tips and how to do something and things like that.
…so anyone?

1 Like

May I know what app are you using?

Every app has their own different technique of doing things.

2 Likes

Hey Kate! :black_heart:

Just a few tips:

1: Practice, Practice, Practice.
Practicing is how you improve. No one starts out as an expert. Start working one body part at a time and add details as you go.

2: Don’t compare yourself to other artists
That’s a big no no. I told a friend of mine, “There will always be someone better, more experienced than you.”
Sounds harsh but, it’s the truth. The sooner you learn to accept that your art will never be the exact same as your favorite artist, the better. You can improve in your own way, come up with your OWN unique style and save yourself a lot of heartache.

3: Use Basic tutorials
Not anything too complicated as it will leave you confused. Try simple tutorials, that way you can play around and change it the way you want it to be.

4:Don’t start off making art for other people.
As in, don’t make an art thread immediately. People can be very specific, and sometimes a little demanding. Start making art for yourself so you can find the joy in creating things.

5: Have Fun
Art can be stressful at times. If you notice you’re not enjoying it or it’s mentally stressing you out, take a break from it. Go relieve your stress and come back to it later.

btw, if you’re using ibispaintx, pm me and I can help you with learning the tools.

Hope this helps. :black_heart:

3 Likes

Ibis paint x I just started using it

Thank you so much! You’ve given me massive loads of help.

1 Like