Dara Amarie's Official Help Thread! [closed]

I know that you were helping someone else, but you help me in a major way without knowing it, I have had the same issue for at least a week and no matter how many things I changed it just wouldn’t work, so thank you so much because now I can finally move on with my story.

:hugs: :hugs: so glad I could help, hun

1 Like

Hi

Please can someone advise;

1. If my character has changed her outfit at the end of an episode (the reader selects the outfit), at the start of the new episode will she be in the same outfit or do I need to use the gain function? The outfit chosen at the end of the episode is for a party, the next episode is where she is at the party.

2. The character uses a disguise of wigs and contact lenses, again the reader selects the disguise. Will this be remembered in future episodes going forward? I have used every selection of hair style and hair colour available so I don’t want to use gain for every single option. However I would like to have scenes where my character reverts back to her “natural self” - what is the easiest way to do this?

Thank you in advance :smiley:

1. Your characters will stay in outfits until you change them into something else. So if you didn’t have your character change into something else, then yes your character will still be in the same outfit in the next episode.

2. Just like with outfits, characters won’t change appearance until you change it to something else. The best way to go about this is to have a duplicate character, and use that duplicate character to change into the disguise, then to revert back to the “natural self” you can just switch back to the original character.

1 Like

That is perfect and absolutely what I wanted to hear :wink:

Thank you so much lovely!

No problem! :relaxed:

Something along the lines of this:

choice
“Nice choice” {
gain be_nice
[scene goes here]

} “Mean choice” {
gain be_mean
[scene goes here]
}

if (be_nice) {

NARR
You have unlocked the bonus scene because you were nice!
choice
“UNLOCK!” {
[scene goes here]
}

} else {

NARR
Sorry you were mean so you do not get the bonus scene…
}

1 Like

The “else” takes care of the be_mean branch. You don’t need to add the be_mean gain if the above code is all you’re going to do. But if you want to reference that be_mean branch in the future, it’s always good to have that gain.

Yep gains work through out the whole story and can be used in any future episode.

1 Like

Hey how do you transition from one scene to another with the characters already in the next scene?

You have to place your characters in the scene first, and all your cuts and zoom, before the transition using the & symbol (not @).

INT. BACKGROUND NAME - DAY
&CHAR1 stands screen position in zone # AND CHAR1 faces left AND CHAR1 is animation
&CHAR2 stands screen position in zone # AND CHAR2 faces left AND CHAR2 is animation
&cut to zone #
@transition fade in black
8 Likes

I’m so happy Dara that you’re here, because you’re the person I learn from …, while reading your threads… :blush:

I have different question.

How many lines is possible per chapter?

1 Like

You can have up to 10,000 - 12,000 lines. If you go past that you’ll get an error message saying your chapter is too long.

4 Likes

Hey, I have 2 questions about the same scene and I was hoping you could help.

1. How do I use layers properly so characters “Dad”, “Jupiter” and “Mom” are standing behind the booth and characters “Darold”, “Jennie” and “Maria” are standing in front of the booth? (Currently in the preview everyone is in their correct positions except “Dad” who is standing in front of everything, including the booth and character “Darold”)

2. How I use the transition iris so that the transition occurs at the same time that the characters appear on the screen? For instance, the characters don’t pop off after the transition. Hope this makes sense.

Here is the coding for the scene:

INT. RESTAURANT BOOTH - NIGHT with TABLE BOOTH at layer 2
@zoom reset
@transition iris in 3
&JUPITER moves to layer 0 AND MOM moves to layer 0 AND DAD moves to layer 0
&JENNIE moves to layer 3 AND DAROLD moves to layer 3 AND MARIA moves to layer 3
&JUPITER spot 1.163 51 18 AND JUPITER faces right AND DAD stands screen center AND DAD faces left &MOM stands screen right AND MOM faces left
&JUPITER is idle_happy AND DAD is arms_crossed AND MOM is idle_happy
&DAROLD spot 1.612 181 -313 AND DAROLD is rear AND DAROLD faces right
&JENNIE spot 1.334 56 -267 AND JENNIE faces left AND JENNIE is rear
&MARIA spot 1.316 286 -184 AND MARIA faces right AND MARIA is rear

Thanks in advanced. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. When you use the “stands screen position” command, it defaults characters to the highest layer. You should put the layering commands after you place your characters in the scene.

2. To have characters in the scene before you transition in, you have to place them at the very beginning before the transition command using the & symbol and not the @ symbol.

INT. BACKGROUND - DAY
&CHAR1 stands screen position and CHAR1 is idle
&CHAR2 spot scale x y in zone # and CHAR2 faces left
@transition iris in

5 Likes

Hi, Dara! I’ve been struggling with this for a while, so maybe you can help!

I have YOU and BLAKE in EXT. GEORGIA MARSHY LANDSCAPE - NIGHT. They’re in zone 2, here’s their codes as of where they stand:

@BLAKE stands upscreen right and BLAKE faces left and BLAKE is arms_crossed_angry and YOU stands screen center and YOU faces right and YOU is mortified

I want YOU and BLAKE to kiss, so I used the Episode script template “Animation - Kiss From Right” with BLAKE on the right and YOU as the left character. If I want them to continue kissing but move YOU and BLAKE to spots in zone 3, how would I code that?

Thank you!

1 Like

You want them to move to zone 3 while still kissing?

Yeah, I’m not sure how to do that though because I want the camera to follow them as they do, but I can’t seem to get the coding right.

1 Like

Thank you so much!