Directing help please!

@MARIETTA BAILEY enters from left to right AND MARIETTA BAILEY does it while (talk_agree_happy)
@LAURENCE BAILEY enters from left to right AND LAURENCE BAILEY does it while (talk_agree_happy)
Can’t get this to work are the words out of place orrrr???

It should be:

@MARIETTA BAILEY enters from left to screen right AND MARIETTA BAILEY does it while talk_agree_happy
@LAURENCE BAILEY enters from left to screen right AND LAURENCE BAILEY does it while talk_agree_happy

Hope this helps! :wink:

Thanks!

No problem! Happy to help! :blush:

I hope it’s not too late but I’m really stuck on my directing and won’t be able to sleep otherwise.

I want to have an overlay hit a character in the face the format of my script is;

@overlay OVERLAY shifts to x y in zone x in S AND CHARACTER is slap_face_receive THEN remove overlay OVERLAY THEN CHARACTER is run_fall

I didn’t want to bore anyone with my real script so x y , character and overlay are all replaced with actual valid commands.

The problem is that with this format is that the overlay lingers even after the character has been hit.
I wanted it to hit him and then have him react and the overlay removed by then. However the slap_face_receive takes too long so I have to have the overlay shift and the slap_face_receive at the same time.
@overlay OVERLAY shifts to x y in zone x in S AND CHARACTER is slap_face_receive THEN remove overlay OVERLAY THEN CHARACTER is run_fall

**(So I used the AND function to have it happen at the same time.) **

The problem with that is that I need to have the slap_face_receive and the remove overlay happen at the same time. But when I use the AND for all three of these commands;

@overlay OVERLAY shifts to x y in zone x in S AND CHARACTER is slap_face_receive AND remove overlay OVERLAY AND CHARACTER is run_fall

the overlay disappears.

I’d appreciate some help :blush:
Hope that wasn’t hard to understand :sweat_smile:

First, the command to remove an overlay is @overlay OVERLAY clear

Try this:
&overlay OVERLAY shifts to x y in zone x in S
@CHARACTER is slap_face_receive
@overlay OVERLAY clear
@CHARACTER is run_fall

Okay thanks!! I’ll try it now :blush:

I tried it and the overlay still lingers over the character’s face for too long.
Thanks for the help though do you have any other suggestions.

&overlay OVERLAY shifts to x y in zone x in S
&CHARACTER is slap_face_receive
@pause for 0.9
@overlay OVERLAY clear
@CHARACTER is run_fall

Unfortunately I tried that already :sob:
When I did that it just lingered for longer.

You need to change the timing for your overlay. If it’s pausing for 0.9, then you need to have your overlay shift to that spot in 0.9 seconds.

Oh! Okay I’ll try that!

I tried it and the overlay disappeared again.:sob:

Okay can you copy and paste your script here, inluding all spot placements for the overlay and character.

Okay!!

@CARNELL spot 0.889 207 196 in zone 2
@overlay FIREBALL shifts to -40 380 in 0 in zone 1

This overlay moves around a lot that’s why it’s in the shift function

Where is the overlay at before it shifts to that spot?

It keeps shifting for a while from zone to zone, do you want how it is directed with my scene like this;
INT. LIVING ROOM DOOR OPEN with FIREBALL to -0.284 207 340 in zone 1

Yes can you send me the whole scene up to the point where it hits the character in the face. (you can exclude any dialogue you have)

INT. LIVING ROOM DOOR OPEN with FIREBALL to -0.284 207 340 in zone 1

@cut to zone 2
@KAT spot 0.679 174 312 in zone 2 AND KAT is idle_sit_legs_up AND KAT faces left AND JULIA spot 0.679 258 308 in zone 2 AND JULIA is sit AND JULIA faces left AND CARNELL spot 0.889 207 196 AND CARNELL is primp_condescend AND CARNELL faces left

@CARNELL faces right

@DALIA spot 0.840 251 183 in zone 1 AND DALIA is scream AND BLAKE spot 0.870 180 175 in zone 1 AND BLAKE is disappointed AND DALIA faces right AND BLAKE faces right

@CARNELL is stand_up AND overlay FIREBALL shifts to 500 347 in 0.8 in zone 3

@cut to zone 1

@DALIA spot 0.840 251 183 in zone 1 AND DALIA is scream AND BLAKE spot 0.870 180 175 in zone 1 AND BLAKE is disappointed AND DALIA faces right AND BLAKE faces right
@pause for a beat
@ZORA spot 0.686 154 278 in zone 1 AND ZORA moves to layer -2
@ZORA walks to spot 0.793 92 188 in 3
@ZORA moves to layer 2 AND ZORA faces right

@overlay FIREBALL shifts to -29 0 in zone 1 in 0
@overlay FIREBALL shifts to -40 380 in 0
@CARNELL moves to layer 1 AND overlay FIREBALL moves to layer 2
@cut to zone 2
@CARNELL faces left

@overlay FIREBALL shifts to 215 380 in zone 2 in 0.6 AND CARNELL is slap_face_receive
@remove overlay FIREBALL
@CARNELL is run_fall