Directing Troubles (need help incorporating if/elif + relationship points)

Episode Directing Troubles:

Overview: Specifically having trouble with choices that reflect back on previous choices using if/elif/else , and I am having trouble with incorporating the relationship point system into one of the branches.

I would be forever grateful if someone could offer help or point out my mistake(s) , also if no one can figure out what’s wrong with my (wacky) coding , could you offer an alternative way to approach my scene?? Thank you so much!

Actual images of my coding:

(Not really brief) explanation of my episode: (previous couple scenes) Girl has arrived to live at her Aunt’s and Uncles home. She can choose at start whether to greet them meanly or be nice . (Scene I am stuck on) Now girl is on to her first day of school, she has to choose an outfit . Her Aunt wants her to wear a (ugly in girl’s opinion) outfit , girl wants to wear an outfit of her choice . ***Up until here, everything is smoothly working but now it branches into two choices (wear Aunts outfit, or girls choice). If girl chooses to wear her Aunts outfit it works fine (I am using code “if” and a gain “AuntsOutfit”) and story continues normally. BUT if girl chooses to wear her own outfit, (heres were things get messy ) the outcome of this choice depends on whether the girl was nice to her Aunt at the beginning of the chapter. If girl was nice the Aunt should let her wear her (girl) wear the outfit, if girl was mean the Aunt should make her change into the outfit the Aunt wanted her to wear. INSTEAD, none of this section of the choice works ! It just follows the line of “Wear Aunts Outfit” , girl would end up choosing the outfit she wanted but go through the wrong pathway (if she chose to wear Aunts outfit).

Golly! Wow! Hope I didn’t confuse you too much! If I did, it’s just cause I am so confused my self! I am begging anyone to please help! It would mean so much to me, and I’d be willing to help you too (to the best of my abilities) whether you have a book that needs reading or someone to comment on your book or anything!

:hibiscus::hibiscus::hibiscus::hibiscus::hibiscus:Moxiegirl <3

Line 2036 should be else

1 Like

so you want her first choice of a kind or rude response to affect whether she gets an additional choice of selecting an outfit? points will work, but a another really easy way to do that is to give the reader a flag after the first choice. it sounds confusing at first but honestly will save you a lot of time in the long run. (e.g. if the reader choose to be rude, they gain the flag RUDE_RESPONSE - then later in your story, if can do an if / if not). here’s what it might look like:

label CHOOSE_OUTFIT
NARR
What do you want to wear?
choice
“Cute Outfit” if ( [NOT RUDE_RESPONSE] ) {
@CHARACTER changes into Cute Outfit
NARR
Is this the outfit you want?
choice
“Yes” {
goto END_CHOOSE_OUTFIT
} “No” {
goto CHOOSE_OUTFIT
}
} “Grandma Outfit” if ( [NOT RUDE_RESPONSE] ) {
@CHARACTER changes into Grandma Outfit
NARR
choice
“Yes” {
goto END_CHOOSE_OUTFIT
} “No” {
goto CHOOSE_OUTFIT
}
} “Grandma Outfit With a Slightly Different Name lol” if (RUDE_RESPONSE) {
@CHARACTER changes into Grandma Outfit
NARR
choice
“Yes” {
goto END_CHOOSE_OUTFIT
} “No” {
NARR
Too bad
goto END_CHOOSE_OUTFIT
}
}
label END_CHOOSE_OUTFIT

• if means the option only shows up if they gained that flag :wink:
  • if not means the option only shows up if they did not gain the flag
  • flags are super easy, literally all you do is put gain FLAG_NAME inside of the brackets and you’re good to go; you can reference them as many times as you want, so like if every time there was an outfit choice and your reader never got to choose because they were mean to grandma in episode 1 lol
  • it also lets you be kind of picky with your readers lol, so like if they gained the flag RUDE_RESPONSE but later were really nice you could give them another flag LOVE_FOR_GRANDMA and add that to the outfit choices by doing an if ( RUDE_RESPONSE and LOVE_FOR_GRANDMA ) and let them pick from maybe 1 average looking outfit or if ( [NOT RUDE_RESPONSE] and LOVE_FOR_GRANDMA ) then let them pick from 3 really trendy outfits lol.

hope this helps xx

1 Like

Hi @Jade.epi!
Thanks for your help! Yes, I’ve now changed it to that! My mistake was partially how I was writing the curly brackets (cause there’s 2 ways) and I was getting mixed up! Partially cause I didn’t know the formatting of if/elif/else and kept messing it up! I think I’ve fixed it now, but there are some underlying issues still that I can’t figure out how to fix but I won’t mess with it anymore!
Again thank you! Let me know if you need help too!

1 Like

Hi @Priyansh!
I think my problem was mostly that the computer was treating my branches as just 2 branches (when it should’ve been 2 branches with 1 having a point system outcome). I was just switching around the if/elif/else to see what worked and now I think I have made it somewhat stable!
Thanks for your help, respond to this if you want help too!:+1:

1 Like

Hi @miller_k!
Wow thank you so much! This was so helpful! It’s great to see personalized code examples! Also thanks for giving me a “Ted talk” on what these codes actually do! It made things more clear! I’ll definitely use the way you suggested next time! I can’t say I figured out what was wrong in my code, but I’ve got it fixed (at least I think) (I’m like the grinch on the top of the mountain holding onto the sleigh😂)! Thanks so much again, if you need someone to read something or anything I’d love to help out!
Thanks,
-Moxie