DISCUSSION: Advanced Directing

Alright, so how long does it take you to learn advanced coding? Are u still getting use to know the point system? Animating overlays? Zoom Angles? Etc. :heart: There is no rush to learning advanced coding, if your still sticking to basic choices, like for clothing and not tappable overlays, thats is totally fine. Advanced Directing takes a lot of time and practice to learn different coding styles. :sunglasses:

13 Likes

It took me around 3 months to learn the basics of advanced directing. I’m not pro nor am I skilled, but I can say that I have improved and gotten a lot better at it. I recently tried my hand at the point system which was really basic when I attempted it. Tappable’s? I haven’t mastered this yet.

thank you to @amberose who allowed me to be in her class. Amber, Marshmallow, and Jem has helped me to get to a place where I can say “this story contains advanced directing, tap slowly”

9 Likes

There was a time where I was really keen to learn advanced directing! I could animate overlays, direct speechbubbles, spot direct, make choices.

Now I can barely remember how to spot direct, much less any of the other stuff. I’m working towards getting to that place again.

2 Likes

For me, I am still getting use to point system, tappable overlays, and branching, so that will take some time for me to learn. Now, it took me a while to get use to advanced directing, but I manage to do it in my second story! I am proud of what came out and can’t wait to direct more scenes, for A Prince’s Curse.

2 Likes

I don’t think i can do advanced directing but i can do spot directing and the basic stuff. I think i’ve improved tho but i would love to be able to do advanced directing.

1 Like

You go girl!! It takes a lot of time to know basic, advanced, and intermediate directing. Take things slow and you’ll get there. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks! If it wasn’t for Jospeh evans I wouldn’t be able to know anything to do with coding :joy:

1 Like

Same!!! I think he’s been on Episode longer, and have good experience with a lot of coding, and I think Dara as well.

1 Like

Working fast as hell today on my entry, while talking to ya’ll lol. Advanced Directing is in full effect, :computer: :desktop_computer: :computer_rage:

1 Like

Took me a year to write and code three episodes of my first story, that includes major plot and character changes as well as just better zooms and a more interesting opening. I can now say that I’m in love with the point system over any other directing features like flags and stuff, and I even started using them for dressing games and remembering choices! I still call myself a lazy director because I am pretty lazy to learn new things about coding plus making and uploading overlays ughhh so much work even though my story needs heavy directing to live up to its genre :joy: To make up for that, I try to make the zooming and cinematography as cool as possible so even if my story is low-budgeted on customized overlays, it’d still be a treat to the eye. Lolol

5 Likes

@lanafrazer_episode Nice topic u got there lana! :slight_smile:

as for me i go with spot directing zooms and directing limb and custom pose overlays. I have never tried to use point systems i dont know y. Honestly for clothing choices, i dont go with tappable overlays and normal coding is good for that according to my view. I dont use much choices in my story unless i feel that they are important. It did take me a while to learn how to work with overlays but i am glad that i am getting a hang of it now. So, as for the time taken to learn, the time taken to learn the things i mentioned apart from the point system, took me a whole year to perfect in it and i think i am good in that now. So, next, i will start to learn about tappable overlays and point system.

1 Like

I would love to do advanced directing for my story, but I forgot about basic coding and have to go over all of that again :weary:

2 Likes

you go girl i am sure that u can get it done! good luck!

1 Like

I guess it took me a while? When I first started there were no tutorials so I didn’t even know how to put a background in a script :grimacing: And from then it really was a development process. I learned basic directing, then a few months later spot, then advanced zooms, then ease in/out, then overlays and so on. I think creativity comes into it too, you could be capable of amazing directing but if you don’t have imagination to create a specific scene you’ll never showcase it.

6 Likes

You’re not the only one, :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, i am pretty much the same too thats y it took me a whole year to learn it haha :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m typing as fas as I can, so im making my episodes short and keeping on track og bg.ov approvals, so oh boy…directing is going to take long as hell, but worth it.

1 Like

This is sooo true, I get inspiration from movies.

3 Likes

yep def its worth it! dont forget to take rest from time to time and dont stress out! With the portal glitching it should be frustrating!

1 Like

@LillyR

I agree too its really hard to write a scene when you can not visualize it it sometimes makes me angry since i want to write but i wont even know how the scene has to look!

3 Likes