Discussion: Are pathological liars misunderstood?

Today’s question is: Are pathological liars misunderstood?

What are your thoughts? Feel free to give your 2 cents on this topic. I found this article and I am pretty confused about this one:

https://www.thrivetalk.com/types-of-liars/

And another article I have been reading:

http://depressiond.com/pathological-liar/

3 Likes

how would they be misunderstood?

3 Likes

tbh ive been friends with two pathological liars in the past, and they had absolutely zero malicious intentions. they were very insecure and lied to impress and it became a habit and just sort of happened over and over again. that doesnt make it okay in any sense, but its an explanation. some people do have malicious intentions and lie to manipulate, but thats not what it is every time. i think the people without malicious intentions are misunderstood because theyre seen as evil or something, but really they have a problem they have little control over and they need help. (i dont have a lot of knowledge in this subject and im not a professional, just sharing my experience.)

4 Likes

Oh okies.

Can they also change or will they still be pathological liars?

1 Like

sorry i dont know the answer to that question, thats probably something a psychologist would need to answer. but i would imagine its hard for them to change especially without help.

3 Likes

Okie dokie, thanks for explaining your situation. They sound toxic af!

2 Likes

Some are. Some don’t have a malicious intent. I used to lie a lot to impress because I was really, really insecure and wanted people to like me. Insult me if you like. A lot of pathological liars are just really insecure, whereas a few are indeed trying to manipulate people. It’s like psychopaths. Yeah, some psychopaths do have malicious intent, but most don’t. To solve this problem, if you really want to judge someone, judge them after you know them properly, not by a label they’ve been given.

2 Likes

Now you mentioned this, I was like this too. But idk if I’m still a pathological liar.

1 Like

I stopped, though occasionally I still lie about insignificant things. My friends are very understanding though. It just… slips out of my mouth. They know me well and can tell when it happens, and don’t get mad. I try not to. They tell me that I’m a wonderful person as I am, and that I don’t need to embellish anything to impress them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: unfortunately, some people don’t trust me anymore once I opened up to them about this. It’s only tiny insignificant things that I lie about, that people are going to forget in like a week :joy:, but… I do understand why.

Is being a pathological liar an illness?

1 Like

…How could you possibly misunderstand a pathological liar?

1 Like

It’s classed as a mental disorder yes it can be stand alone disorder or a symptom of other disorder like anti social Narcissist Ect. I studied it quite a bit in psychology.

2 Likes

Someone very close to me had a condition with some similar characteristics of a pathological liar. Its known as Histrionic Personality Disorder… It’s a condition where the individual MUST feel like the center of attention at all times, or they feel worthless. Lying and creating unnecessary drama is very common for them. This has much to do with self esteem issues.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.