DISCUSSION: Author Notes in Episode Stories

1. Do you like seeing author notes in Episode Stories? Why or why not?
    –> Au Contraire, I do like seeing author notes in Episode Stories. I don’t have an Instagram or any other social media myself, so its a privilege to be up to date with an author’s story!
  2. Why do you think some authors add in author notes?
    –> As I said previously, many authors don’t have social media to share news or updates. And neither do many of their readers have social media to get them. So, I think that’s why they add in Author Notes. I myself do it.
  3. When is the right time to add in an author note?
    –> I recommend adding it in the last. But, if there’s some crucial information to latch on with the Episode (such as ‘Turn On The Volume’ or ‘Limited Customization Of Characters’ etc) then I guess authors can add their notes in the beginning of an Episode.
  4. What information should be included in the author notes?
    –> Expected release dates of next episodes, some cliff-hanger questions (such as ‘What Would Happen If Person X Fell Off The Cliff?’ Or ‘Will Person Y Slip Over A Banana Peel And Die?’ :joy:), certain updates etc.
  5. What information should be left out?
    –> All those stuff which doesn’t associate with the story. The author doesn’t need to express their joy over writing an Episode Story in the form of Author Notes. And if they wanna do that, do it at the end of the whole story when its finished.
  6. Are FAQ considered author notes?
    –> Nope. FAQ reveal just slight information whereas Author Notes reveal more information and possibly other information too which we weren’t expecting.
  7. Is it better to have the author be created as a character that can be animated on screen for author notes? Or should it be left as the narration speech bubble? Or maybe even just the occasional readerMessage?
    –> It doesn’t matter if the author creates a character or not. I personally love The Miles Show from Dead 7 by @Kaylas.epi :joy: But the shout outs of backgrounds, character templates, overlays, outfits, covers, arts etc should be done in the form of readerMessage or in the form of Narrator Speech Bubbles at the end of the story.

Wow, It’s interesting to see what everyone thinks! I am surprised so many people don’t mind them lol

Anyway, my turn :slightly_smiling_face:
1. Do you like seeing author notes in episode stories?
No
1a. Why or why not?
It ruins the illusion of the story
Well, depending on what the author note is depends on the reason, so I’m just going to list some possible reasons:

• The author wants to encourage readers to leave feedback
  • The author needs the reader to know something that is crucial to the story
  • The author is self conscious and worried it is bad, so they apologize in advance
  • The author figured out how to code all these cool animations that don’t fit in to their story so the solution is to make themselves a character so they can blow kisses and kpop dance all over the screen.
  • The author wants to thank the readers, and doesn’t have instagram

3. When is the right time to add in an author note? If at all…
Well, if someone feels like they really need to say something, it’s better to do it at the end. Especially if it’s a “sorry this episode is short and has no choices and lots of errors” type of note, because that will discourage me if it’s at the beginning.

I think in the middle of the script, right before a very important choice can sometimes be ok too (eg. remember your choices matter and your character can die), but I don’t really see that as an author note per say. It’s more of a reminder and tbh I’d still recommend cutting it because it’s more of a shock when you’re not expecting it.
4. What information should be included in author notes?
I think @Caitoriri covered this best.
4a. What information should be left out?
Apologies, excuses and an author explaining their costumes (when they come on with fairy wings and feel the need to tell the readers all about why they are wearing fairy wings)
5. Are FAQ considered author notes?
I’d say they are a form of author notes, technically. But I feel for some really popular stories this is handy to add in. I low key dream of the day I get spammed with the same question over and over again so I can create a FAQ.
6. Is it better to have the author be created as a character that can be animated on screen for author notes? Or should it be left as the narration speech bubble? Or maybe even just the occasional readerMessage?
Depends on what’s being said. They’re all better for different purposes.

• readerMessage is good for advising readers of points they’ve gained or how a certain scene was based off of your previous choice, as well as background credits.
  • narration bubble is better for if you only have one or two things to say, since it’s too long for reader message and too short to bother coding in your author character.
  • author character is almost never good lol. I don’t mind the animated author for FAQ’s, strangely enough.

There was one story - I can’t remember it off the top of my head what it was called - that got featured on a shelf, and the author did a really nice author note in the next episode she published after she was featured to say thanks. I think it was one of the only times I actually got excited to see an author as a character.

Some of these comments are so funny. Sometimes authors feel the need to be so, so, quirky in their author’s notes. I always facepalm when the author comes on with some random ass costume and dancing and then proceeds to yell at us that the story “WILL get longer and better !1!2!1!”

i hate it when authors do that lol. Either put you best work forward or own up to the work you already did. I’m not gonna wait around for your story to get better just because you learned how to direct or code later on in the story :joy:

One thing I forgot to mention-- I dislike it when authors apologize for short chapters. Either be confident in the length of your chapters if it ends where you see fit or just make it however longer it would need to be to be the length you think readers would see as a normal sized chapter.

I think if they’re apologizing for short chapters, it means they know it’s short, so why take up lines of your script apologizing when you could just… fix it to the point you don’t feel the need to say sorry?

Yeah… if I release a short chapter, it’s because that feels like the perfect placenta end it, and I won’t apologise for that. Other authors may be trying to stick to a release schedule, but if they do that and feel they need to apologise for it, then maybe they should just miss the schedule and make it longer and apologise for updating late instead?
I’d rather read a longer chapter with an apology for being “late” than a short chapter with an apology for being short…

Good questions. I’m curious to see the responses.

a bump ?

Not really…

1a. Why or why not?
I mean, they are okay and I’m not gonna stop reading a story because of it, but I’d prefer if they didn’t… I mean, some authors will add in like “This is an important choice”, when they could’ve just made gold choices… Also, I don’t like it when they are like “If you want the bonus scene, click the top one”… Like, how about I click on the one I want and see if I get the bonus scene…

I think they add them to help the readers even though sometimes its more annoying than it is helpful…

If you were to add in an author note I think it should be after
you’ve made a choice and the author is like “You made the correct choice” or “That was the incorrect choice… There will be consequences later on…”

Like I said, don’t say stuff before choices, say them after…

I don’t think so and I actually really like it when authors do FAQ’s…

6. Is it better to have the author be created as a character that can be animated on screen for author notes? Or should it be left as the narration speech bubble? Or maybe even just the occasional readerMessage?
I think just the occasional readerMessage is good because then you don’t really have to look at it if you don’t want to :joy::joy:

Mmm I know the type you are referring to. There’s not much of a point to a choice if the author tells you what to pick

Exactly… :smiley:

Bump

Yes and no

1a. Why or why not?
Yes because sometimes the notes have pertinent information in them and no because a lot of the time the information seems to be superfluous. It’s not necessary to pop up on screen to apologize for the story being bad or short or anything else. That’s a major turn off and I always end up exiting.

To communicate with the reader.

it depends. Notes about sound, adding in trigger warnings, explaining a point system, etc. are all things that can go at the beginning of the chapter. Notes about future updates should go at the end. Credit for backgrounds and overlays should either be in the middle of the story or at the end.

Updates, warnings, explaining a points system, notifying readers of any major changes that had to be made due to coding errors, giving credit for backgrounds or overlays, handles for social media, FAQ.

Apologizing for the story not being up to par or being too short. Never apologize for your story. If you don’t believe in your story, why should anybody else? Publish what you’re proud of and let the work speak for itself. If an author feels a need to pop up on screen and apologize for the story or directing being bad, then it’s probably better to wait to publish the story and continue working on it until you’re satisfied enough to publish it. Also, author’s notes should be used sparsely. I am not a fan of popping up on screen and taking up an entire 2-5 minutes of screen time to play around. Some people are just there to read the story, not to see us goof around, and I think if an author really wants to pop up on screen goofing around, they need to include that as a choice. Some people enjoy that stuff. Some people would rather just read the story.

I think that depends on your definition of author’s notes. I would define an author’s note as any written communication typed out for the reader that is not part of the story, so I would include FAQ under author’s notes.

**6. Is it better to have the author be created as a character that can be animated on screen for author notes? **
Or should it be left as the narration speech bubble? Or maybe even just the occasional readerMessage?

Here I go again…it depends. For me, if there is something extremely important I need to convey to the readers that I want them to pay attention to, I’ll show my avatar. Other than that, a combination of speech bubbles or readerMessages work fine.

Generally I don’t but there might be times where it’s useful.

1a. Why or why not?
I’ve seen many authors put in an authors note in the middle of a chapter where they’re trying to be funny and sassy which is a huge turn off. To me, it looks like the author isn’t taking the story seriously but instead just wants to get attention.
However, I totally get it if there’s a chapter that begins with an authors note saying that there won’t be any customization etc. as it must be tiring to get the same messages in fan mail all the time.

To once and for all establish an answer to a frequently asked question. I think others do it to elaborate something that’s happened in the story (though, if they do it in the middle of the chapter it’s just so annoying, please wait until the end unless it’s a quick readerMessage).

I think it’s best to do it at the end of a chapter. If you add it in the beginning, I think some readers automatically get bored and drop the story because it’s annoying to wait for the story to begin.

Warnings and background/overlay credits. Other than that, I don’t really think there’s things that absolutely should be included in authors notes as it depends on how much information the author thinks is necessary to the reader.

Really anything unnecessary to understand the story. “Sorry the chapter is so short” and “I’m new, don’t judge too hard” are things that could be left out.

Yes. I consider an authors note to be any kind of information that isn’t a part of the story.

Sometimes I think it’s good that the author creates a character because it has emotions and animations that’ll make it easier for the reader to bond with the author. On the other hand, people often create a character to walk on screen when it’s really very unnecessary. If you just quickly need to tell something or make a very short explanation to something on the story, please just do a readerMessage. It’s so annoying to have the author’s character to walk on screen, stopping the story in the middle of it, just to explain something.

archived #37