DISCUSSION: Bad boys

I wrote this somewhere else:

1 Like

preach chica i agree with errything u said

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:

And to answer your initial question, I really don’t mind a “bad boy”. In fact my real life bf has some traits (and did some things in the past) that would make some people consider him to be a “bad boy” (maybe not so much now since we’re old haha, but definitely when he was younger). But if the guy in question is rude and abusive (physically and/or emotionally) to the MC? Then that’s a no from me lol.

1 Like

I absolutely hate them but they are so popular! Why cant there be any good guys in a story?

1 Like

I agree. All popular boys are always ‘bad boys’ where are the super popular ‘good boys’ at??

1 Like

I think the bad boys are so popular because stories with them are unrealistic. If I read a story, I don’t want to see something that I can experience every day in my own life. I’m reading stories to get away from my normal day-to-day life. Good boys are normally just boring and too perfect, in real life there are so many of them and most of them are just pure gentlemen…who judge you by your looks. The bad boys in the stories have something to hide themselves and you get to know more about them as the story goes on, they know that the outside isn’t all that matters. Changing them isn’t something that will happy in day-to-day life, but it’s something that can happen in stories, because they are all (or most of them) only fantasies. Being with someone who let’s you discover his (real) character traits slowly and doesn’t show them to everyone is much more interesting than having a good guy who is nice to everyone and has no flaws. It even makes you feel special because bad boys treat the MC differently after some time than they treat others.
I don’t say that a bad boy has to be a murderer or bully. The popular bad boys on episode are just a bit mean and have trust issues, sometimes the bullied someone but have their reasons to do so or didn’t really bully them that much. Some are murderers, but theirs always a background story why they did it and they change, what else could a girl wish for than a boy who loves her so much that he changes his lifestyle for her? At least in stories, that’s a perfect happy ending.

2 Likes

I agree and disagree. I agree with the fact that bad boyd are usually more interesting in stories than good boys but if you write the story right you can still have the same effect but just on a good boy. I personally don’t mind as long as the story line id good though!! :purple_heart::grin:

2 Likes

Twinning with my twin on this. I have a prominent hatred for bad boys but I am lenient if they have vulnerabilities or character development (for the better).

3 Likes

I like when authors portray their characters as “bad boys” especially when they’re not compete d*ckfaces. But some authors just make their bad boys mean and annoying. That just makes them cliche and uninteresting.

2 Likes

Ah I get you - definitely if there is a lot more than meets the eye, it does the author a lot of justice!

1 Like

I guess I see the name “bad boy” as more of a label but one that doesn’t necessarily reflect the true nature of a person. So someone who does a few “bad” things or stands up to authority or acts like they don’t give a damn would probably fall under this label.

I guess everyone has their own definition though. I personally have a line between what makes a bad boy/girl a bad person.
In relation to this thread, I think the OP’s definition would be that “good bad boy” since she specifically said a bad boy isn’t an asshole.

3 Likes

yeah, you’re right

1 Like