DISCUSSION: Big Author or Small? How Do You Decide?

Quick disclaimer: I know this is an extremely subjective and opinion based thing, I really just wanted to hear others’ opinions.

I feel as if the words “big author” and “small author” get tossed around a lot in the episode world but what exactly constitutes someone being placed in one of these categories? What if they don’t exactly fit in either of them?

Some questions as always to spark discussion:

1. Do you consider yourself a big author or a small author? Any reason why?

2. Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).

3. If you consider yourself a big author at what point did you start considering yourself one?

4. When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?

5. At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?

6. Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?

7. Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?

8. Additional comments/ things to add?

9 Likes

1: I’m definately a small author with just under 500 reads. Because I’m struggeling to get my stories noticed.

2: I haven’t heard it before, but middle or medium sounds ok.

4: Reads for sure. I think reads will lead to the other things you mention. I haven’t been there yet so I don’t really know.

5: For some reason I think you stop being small at a thousand reads, probably because that’s usually the number people use as a limit in R4R threads in this forum, but I can imagine it can still be a struggle even after 1000. The next step maybe at 5000 or something.

6: Do you mean that they get away with bending the rules of the guidelines? In that case no, I think it’s just a case of if Episode has read your story or not. I think Episode themselves don’t always follow the guidelines. I could go on about this but that is probably off the topic.

7: I don’t think that matters. The most important thing is that they write good stories with great directing. I have read great stories from both small and big authors. The difference is that the small ones are hard to find the way the system works. I have also read stories by big authors that I have thought lacked in the directing or were too cliché for my taste.

8: I think Episode should look into changing the raring system so good stories by smaller authors are easier to find.

4 Likes

Since I read your second question, I would call myself a middling author :smiley: I get a good amount of reads every day, and one of my stories seem to have a permanent spot in its own genre, somewhere between #40-60.

2. Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).
I have no idea, but I like yours.

4. When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
It’s really hard to determine based on the reads because it depends on the number of episodes and the date of publishing. Like, I read somewhere that Miss MJ got 5K reads on one of her stories within the first hour after publishing. And it had only three episodes, so it’s obviously very impressive, and doesn’t mean that Miss MJ was a small author for one hour, lol. I would say it’s a combination of the number of reads, number of followers, ranks in the trending etc.

5. At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
Somewhat answered above, but I will try to answer based on my reply for the first question.
So in my books a small author is who gets only a very few reads daily/weekly, and whose story is usually not visible in the trending. (I say usually, because if they update, they might rank higher for a few days, but it doesn’t last long). A big author is someone who gets thousands of reads every day, and has high ranks in the trending I guess?

6. Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve seen cases when this happened. But I’ve also seen popular stories getting removed when they broke the guidelines. I‘m always glad to see if Episode makes consistent decisions (which they don’t always do), regardless how popular a story or an author is.

I mean, it wouldn’t really matter to me, but I definitely interact more with small authors, since I prefer to read their stories, and because there are only a few popular authors who use the forums. Since I don’t have Insta, I don’t really know what happens out there.

8. Additional comments/things to add?
I really like your discussion threads :smiley:

8 Likes

Honestly, it would be a bit of a cop out for me to consider myself a :air_quotes: small :air_quotes: author nowadays. So if I had to pick one to label myself as, I’d say big author. But in saying that, when I was what most people consider “a small author”, I didn’t really go around calling myself a small author either. Like… I sometimes see people bring up the fact that they’re a small author in discussions or even as a means of promotion and I don’t think I ever did that when I was first starting out.

I don’t think there’s an unspoken universal one but perhaps calling them up and coming authors makes more sense than forcing them to pick out of big and small.

End of January 2019. It was when I was first on a shelf and since then, not a single day has gone by where I don’t get a fanmail… which now makes me realise that my readers must scroll through at least 400 messages to see my reply to them :flushed:

Hard to say. Because an author might have a story with 1 million reads, which in my eyes would make them a big author, but then their second story doesn’t even have 1000. So does that mean they’re a big author or just that one of their stories is very popular? And I find that instagram following doesn’t always equal readers either. There’s an author who’s stories I absolutely adore who has over 10k followers on IG and has won a couple of contests too, but when you look at all her stories individually, they don’t have as many reads as I think they deserve you would think they would based on her following count. I think if I were to say her name, everyone would nod along and agree she is a popular author but then if I were to ask which stories of her you’ve read, most people would say none - just that they have heard her name a lot in the community.

When I first joined the community, under 5k was small, 5-100k was middle and anything above 100k meant you were big.
Now… Idk. I guess for the reasons I just listed I’m more aware that it’s too complicated to give a black and white answer. Plus, the more stories that get published, the higher you would need to push the bar. At what point would you stop, you know.

My first thought when reading this was: Excuse me?
I think there are two cases of getting a pass: Getting a pass from Episode themselves and getting a pass from the community. Episode hardly reprimands people publicly. I think the only time things go public is when the author in question shares an email they got from Episode. So I can’t confidently say that I know big authors get (or don’t get) away with more since I don’t know what Episode’s communication has been with them. With the community, it’s a different story… but basically the same outcome. There are some bold people who absolutely will call bullshit everytime they see something they feel is wrong. No matter if it’s a popular author or an unknown one… But then there are also a lot of equally bold people who will then come back at these people with rebuttals too. So if you have some people who are not willing to give an author a pass, but other people who are willing to basically die on the plate to give an author a pass, where does that leave us?
What I will say is that in both cases (Episode the company and the Episode community) I’ve seen authors get away with saying dumb shit, doing dumb shit and then having their story bought by episode anyway so… :woman_shrugging:

:woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

I have friends and whether they’re on the same level as me or not doesn’t determine how well I connect to them. Most aren’t even published. Also, a lot of big authors :tm: have blocked me on IG so it’s hard to say I feel I connect with them when they won’t let me see their content :cry: But in all seriousness, I think my actions and way of thinking align more with small authors :tm: Every new fanmail, every new read, every time someone sends me a screenshot, it still means as much to me now as it did when it was all fresh and new. I also feel a lot of pressure(?) to stay active in the forum community since a couple of years ago, small authors leaving the forums once they got their big break was a bit of a stigma and I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not but I feel like because of that two year old stigma and the fact that I hang around here instead of updating my stories, it keeps me connected to both new and small authors in a way that big-“forumsaretoxic”-authors aren’t.

I am so glad you asked this :smiley:

Search “smallauthor” in the app and tell me if the six stories that show up are by people you’d consider to be small authors :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I’d say I’m a small author, I have a little over 500 reads.

I don’t think so?

N/A

I determine the status based off of the number of reads. A lot of people follow me for edits, and some of them are just weird accounts.

I think small would be anything under 100,00, meduim would be between that and 500,000, then large would be over 1 million…?

Big authors are sometimes screwed over (especially the author of My Psycho, she got the story taken down twice, then got banned from the app). But, yeah, I think they get more chances, though I think it should be the smaller authors, because they’re still learning.

I have friends who are medium and small authors, a lot of the well-known bigger ones don’t have any interest in getting to know you unless you’re “on their level”.

1 Like
    Nope, but I don’t consider myself a small author either. I’ve had a few people message me on Instagram telling me they think I’m a big author, but if you were to ask around in the community about my stories, majority would not have heard my stories or even me.

There should be a name. Maybe the forgotten authors? Since it’s always about big and small authors but never about the ones in between lol.

3. If you consider yourself a big author at what point did you start considering yourself one?
    I don’t so… lol.

Maybe their place in the trending section and the majority of the community talking about the story. I’ve seen a few authors with a large following but their story reads are low and I’ve seen a few authors with a lot of reads but their story is not on the trending section and isn’t very popular. Maybe it’s because it took a very long time for that story to get those reads but people don’t see that.

Small is anyone with less than 10k reads, medium is anyone between 10k-500k reads and big is anyone with over 500k reads. Again to me, this also depends on how long it took for the author to reach those reads.

Maybe in the past, now not so much which is good.

I connect with who I connect with. You being a big or small author has no relevance to me.

8. Additional comments/ things to add?
    Loving these questions lol.

4 Likes

Do you consider yourself a big author or a small author? Any reason why?
At 103 reads in 6.5 months? I’m an enormous author, basically Miss MJ.
Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).
Aye, middle author, middling author, medium author… whatever gets the point across. :sunglasses:
When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
Probably reads tbh. :thinking:
At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
Tiny: >1k
Small: 1k-10k
Middle: 10k-100k
Big: 100k-1m
Huge: 1m-30m
Enormous: 30m+

All of those were made up on the spot, but everything I make up on the spot is law because I am the queen of barging into every discussion thread I see. :triumph: :joy:

If you want to see that in less resolution, you can merge tiny with small, and call everything big and above just “big.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind of a sweeping generalisation, as there’s a difference even when it comes to total reads, for instance…
20m total reads
Author A: 1 story, 50 episodes, 20m reads
Author B: 4 stories, each 30 episodes, each roughly 5m reads
Author C: 4 stories, each 30 episodes, one 19.99m reads, the other 3 splitting the rest
Author D: 1 story, 10 episodes, 20m reads
You get the picture.

Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
:thinking: I imagine the community lets them get away with more, if they have a big Instagram presence. Someone will be like “@Janedoe.writes, that was mean” and their fans will be like “LEAVE JANEDOE.WRITES ALONE U BETCH!!!”
Whereas if I started talking :poop:… there wouldn’t be drama because I’d be shouting into the void.
I guess I undermined my point.

I don’t think Episode itself gives much of a :poop:, though. To give one example, I think Bukii is somewhere in the “huge” aforementioned range, and the new guidelines swept her away like a house of cards. (Not to single Bukii out specifically, I didn’t follow her stories/insta, I hope she’s doing well writing something/somewhere that suits her, whatever/wherever that might be).
Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?
Me? Connect to people? :thinking:
Lol idk, I haven’t really talked about reads and stuff with anyone in or above the “big” range as mentioned.
Additional comments/ things to add?
My story was around rank 97 on the trending shelf for Adventure for a few weeks. It was glorious, I shot up from like 50 to 90 reads. :relaxed:
But all good things must come to an end.
You’ll be happy to know that I did 0 drugs during my 15 minutes of fame.

But in seriousness, I don’t mind not being famous, especially not now, when my story kinda resembles a troll story (it’s not except when it is lol). :woman_shrugging: I also don’t really care how others’ stories show up on the trending section, I steer clear of that, I only get new stories from shelves or word-of-mouth. Reviewers I trust are better at suggesting new stories than the mob of preteens. :joy:

7 Likes

Do you consider yourself a big author or a small author? Any reason why?
Some people might disagree with this, but I consider myself mid-sized. I’ve been writing for over 2 years and have just over a million total reads. I realise that sounds like a lot, but I have like 8 published stories (all complete but one). I don’t think I can be lumped in the same pool as undeniably big authors such as Sandra G, Regina, Miss MJ etc but at the same time, I have a decent following and some loyal readers who seem to at least try most things I publish.

Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).
I think “small” and “big” is too limiting anyway. It’s impossible to define because there’s always going to be grey area. I kind of see “popularity” on Episode like a pyramid. You have a small group of undeniably big authors at the top- the ones who can post anything and will definitely get thousands of reads in a day and are pretty much guaranteed to get over a million reads with each story.
Then you have authors who have a few million reads overall, but maybe have some stories that don’t do as well as others or might take a little longer for their new stories to gain traction.
Then it keeps going lol. I see many tiers.

If you consider yourself a big author at what point did you start considering yourself one?
Well, I don’t. But I think others probably might have after I hit 100k? I reached this… I think shortly after my first contest entry (Cyberstalk) won. That was my biggest jump in IG followers too. I think I went from 200 to 1500ish.

When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
A combination of factors. Reads aren’t necessarily indicative of a “big” author. There are some authors who have one super popular story with millions of reads, but their other stories haven’t done well.
The number of chapters also makes a difference.
How fast a story takes off I think is also an indication. An author who can gain 5k+ reads in one day I would consider to be a top level “big” author.

At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
I think this is a bit hard to define because total chapters makes a difference as does time on the app.

Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
No, but when a big author chucks a temper tantrum, their minions followers are more likely to go crazy and “support their favourite author”.

Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?
Neither? Like, I wouldn’t say I talk to all that many people in the community anyway (besides on these forums), but I’ve spoken to “small” authors who are lovely and “big” authors who are also lovely.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if changing the rating system would really help this, but I do think more can definitely be done! :heart:

I like how you answered this in terms of daily reads instead of overall reads. I think it’s easy to look at stories and be blindsided by the reads but we really never know when an author peaks, if that story just happened to take off, etc.

2 Likes

I like up and coming. :thinking:

I like that you brought this up. There are so many “big/popular authors” that I know of/follow based on hearing about them/just knowing they’re in the community whose stories I haven’t even tried out yet.

I didn’t know this was a stigma :thinking:

I just did. :joy::joy: I don’t think 5/6 are even being worked on. :eyes:

2 Likes

:woozy_face::woozy_face::joy::joy:
Definitely! It’s always big authors this, small authors that but no one takes the people in the “middle” seriously. And as I start to get further away from “small author” I feel this a lot more I think. (I still only have 3k reads so I still think of myself as one if I have to, but if 1k-5k is when authors really stop being “super small” then I’m almost/ already out that door. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m honored to know you. :heart_eyes:

:joy::joy::joy:

We’re all glad you stayed strong. :metal:

1 Like

I feel like stigma wasn’t the right word, but there was definitely something. It was a lot more apparent a couple of years ago. Like, an author would be here everyday doing R4R’s or discussions and then a week after getting a surge in popularity, they’d be all “forumsistoxicbye”.

Idk if anyone else remembers, but there was a time where it felt like Episode was only featuring stories that were already quite popular. I think they’ve really improved on making things a bit more even now though, especially within the last year, which I think has kind of knocked down that stigma a bit, since now it feels like getting noticed is a lot more achievable.

3 Likes

Oh I understand now! :grin:

1 Like

Personally, I did read a lot of big author stories (I consider big authors 800k plus) and some of them were REALLY REALLY good but most were just cliche and pretty boring like you know what’s going to happen, for example. A bad boy, good girl gets drunk at a party and nearly gets assaulted and the bad boy saves her and takes her home. And there would be so many other scenarios that would take place that have felt so cliche. Small authors are also really good, but some of them don’t really have the best story lines or good directing which I can understand especially if their beginners. But if I want to read a story personally than usually I go for kind of middle authors? If that makes any sense haha. Like (70k to 700k) Just in the middle feels right for me but I’m always welcomed to read stories from big and small authors.

2 Likes

This is just what I read btw.

1 Like

A medium-small. I think that I gained a decent amount of reads in a short period of time but I don’t know if I can say that it’s enough to be called a middling author.
No and I’ve never thought of this so I’m just going to steal your term :grin:
3. When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
I think that it’s a little bit of all of these. Status is definitely a big one, just look at how many times Miss MJ got mentioned in this thread. With reads you gain followers and status too so it’s not an independent thing but a lot of popularity across all the platforms.
4. At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
I really don’t know. It really depends on the person, the story, the number of chapters and so on. I also do not consider a story with 10k “small” but I don’t even consider it “middle”, so I have no clue :woman_shrugging:t2: I would rather not label people/stories based on their popularity.
5. Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
This is difficult to answer. I definitely saw some people who are big authors getting passes for bad behavior but I also saw big authors being hurt by the platform. I don’t think that the number of reads determines how Episode look at you but I don’t understand why they let some problems slide with some people :woman_shrugging:t2:
6. Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?
I feel connected with whoever writes a story I like and/or has a good personality. I think that I said it somewhere else, but I don’t care about reads, status or anything else. If you write a good story I’ll read it and promote it either if it has 5 reads or 5 million.
7. Additional comments/ things to add?
I want to know your answers too :eyes:

3 Likes

Bumping with my own answers for @Zey

At 3.3k reads currently if I have to choose between the two I’d say small author.

Middling Authors. :smirk:

I don’t, but I also don’t think I can really say I’m that small anymore either. I think at the very least even if people haven’t read my stories they know my name (at least on here) from be barging in with my opinions on multiple threads.

I asked this question because of the amount of authors I know about whose stories I haven’t even tried to read. I think first is status. I think I’ve only read one or two of Miss MJ’s stories all the way through but her name gets brought up constantly. I’d say Instagram helps with this, but only in certain extents. For example I have 1.8k followers but I have people who follow me for other than Episode so it wouldn’t really be an exact idea of my status as an episode author. Then you also have to take into consideration if they’re just authors or if they do art, if they write for other apps, etc. All too complicated if I think about it too much.

To use a scale I’m making up and pulling out of my a$$ right now:

Tiny: 1-1k
Small: 1k-20k
Medium Small: 20k-50k
Medium Big: 50k-500k
Big: 500k and up

But it’s also important to look at the individual author. To me an author with 10 stories and 5k reads shouldn’t be placed in the same group as an author with 1 story and 5k reads.

I asked this mostly because I think there’s a bit of an assumption (or at least there was before the guidelines got updated) that bigger authors get away with more in terms of “breaking the rules.” I definitely see this, but I’ve also read stories by smaller authors with content that made me highly uncomfortable/definitely broke the rules so I really think it’s a two way street. I also think Episode is getting better about calling out authors who are going overboard.

Why did I ask this question?
I guess to answer I think smaller authors. It’s nice to know we’re all in it together. :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2:

Thank you to everyone who’s answered so far! :heart:

2 Likes

bump :sunny: