DISCUSSION: Big Author or Small? How Do You Decide?

bump :sunny:

• Do you consider yourself a big author or a small author? Any reason why?
    I consider myself kind of in the middle. I am not a small author, nor a big author. I’m in between.
  • Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).
    I mean, I don’t think it’s a name for them, but they could be called middling authors.
  • If you consider yourself a big author at what point did you start considering yourself one?
    This doesn’t apply to me lol
  • When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
    To me, it’s all about the number of reads that determines an author’s status. If an author has millions of reads on their story, that makes them a popular author. Any number that’s 100k and beyond, is consider a very popular number of read count in my opinion. The trending section also determines an author’s status because their story is very known by the Episode community, so their story continues to be in the trending section.
  • At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
    Less then 50k is considered small, 50k to maybe about 100k is considered middle, and 100k and beyond is considered big.
  • Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
    Yes and no.
  • Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?
    I definitely connect to smaller authors more.
  • Additional comments/ things to add?
    Nope
1 Like

I definitely connect more with big authors. Everyone on the episode app generally writes more or less of the same exact thing. Big author’s usually put a spin on those things and make it feel more original, and that’s why they get so big. Either that, or they have advanced directing and that drawing more readers in. Big authors work very hard on their stories and i admire them for that.

3 Likes

Well, I usually consider myself a medium author because I’m constantly comparing myself to “huge authors”, but based on what most of the previous responses consider a big author, I would be a big author.

I always thought of it as just big or small. I like middle though. I feel I personally fit in best there.

I remember when one of my stories first hit 1 million reads, I stopped looking at the reads. It felt like an amazing milestone and I just started to relax and stopped refreshing my reads page every hour like I had before then. I didn’t start calling myself a big author, but I did gain some confidence.

I spend a lot of time on instagram so I look at both instagram followers and reads. But I agree with everyone who talked about how long it took authors to get to a certain number of reads or how many stories it took to get a certain number of reads.
I do think that having one story that does amazing and some stories that don’t do so well can still make you a popular/big author.

I do not really think of an author as big because of how many times I hear a name mentioned. That depends on who I follow. I think that also depends on how passionate you are about something.
For example coming here to the forums I hear the same names but on instagram I do not hear those names. I hear a different group of names that I never hear here. However, there are A LOT of popular/big authors that I’ve never even heard their name because I just don’t follow that very well.

I don’t know.

I personally don’t. For example, I have had to talk to episode about fixing things in my stories so many times. Sometimes I talk about it on instagram, but sometimes I don’t, so it’s not like people always know about it so I’m sure there are a lot of big authors who don’t always share.
Sure, big authors may have readers who fight for them, but they also have more attackers as well or have higher expectations put on them at times. I would assume smaller authors have a better chance at getting away with something.

However, I have friends who are “up and coming authors” and they are so scared to do anything wrong because they think it will completely crush their chance at getting reads or becoming popular. They’re scared of being attacked just because they leave out a customization option. I don’t really have that feeling or worry at all, and maybe it has something to do with not being a tiny author.

I honestly connect best with readers! But then probably smaller authors, especially ones I’ve been friends with since the beginning. It’s hard to make friends as you get more popular. People treat you differently. I definitely think the forums are best for smaller authors or authors who like to help smaller authors. I don’t really feel like I have friends here.

I was about to say I don’t have many big author friends, but then I remembered that I really don’t know! I have a couple, but most I don’t have a good idea of how many reads they have, so :woman_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:
I guess that means read count doesn’t make a difference in who I talk to.

2 Likes

Quick reminder that the amount of reads doesn’t matter as long as you enjoy what ur doing lol

2 Likes
  1. Do you consider yourself a big author or a small author? Any reason why?
    In the middle, I have one story that did really well with over a million reads but I have two other stories that didn’t do as well and have around 35K, if anyone DM’s me on Instagram it’s always telling me how much they liked Married to the Mafia as if my other stories don’t exist, so I just feel like a one hit wonder tbh😂
  2. Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).
    Middling sounds cool :joy:
  3. If you consider yourself a big author at what point did you start considering yourself one?
    I don’t consider myself one
  4. When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
    A large Instagram following, seeing them always on the top trending sections, all of their stories having a ton of reads rather than just 1 or 2
  5. At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
    I’d say someone is big if they consistently get over 100K reads on each of their stories… middle I’d say for authors in a situation like myself lol, and small I’d say someone who has under a few thousand
  6. Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
    Nope, I always see bigger authors notifying their readers on Instagram posts that they had to change stuff in their story because Episode emailed them to
  7. Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?
    I don’t feel like I talk to any authors in the community, I obviously reply to my DM’s when readers message me but I’ve drifted apart from Episode lately cos university life has been hella hectic, so I don’t really update my stories anymore or try to make new friendships on Instagram haha as I simply don’t have the time
  8. Additional comments/ things to add?
    Nope
2 Likes

bump :sun_with_face:

eh bump :eyes:

bump. :pleading_face:

I think I’m kinda in the middle? Like I’m not familiar enough to be called a big author, but I have too much reads to be called a small author;-;

Lmao middling authors sounds cool :joy:

Usually followers/reads. Big authors usually have a lot of followers on IG.

Big author- more than 500k
Middle- less than 500k but more than 20k
Small- less than 20k

Yes. Definitely.

Smaller I guess, like I always get happy when I find a good story with a small amount of reads and I usually feel the need to promote it :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you. :joy:

I am very small :bowing_woman:t2::bowing_woman:t2:
Physically haha but read-count wise, I am! I only have a total of 110 reads for one of my stories

(On a “small author- big author” scale)

Not sure, never heard of a term for middle authors before :thinking:

I don’t think I will ever consider myself a big or small author because I see no point in it. All authors are equal, we have the ability to story-tell, to imagine, and to write and direct. However, authors with more reads have a bigger platform, so they will make more of an influence

I don’t really pay attention to it. I more so pay attention on how they use this status

No. As I said all authors are equal. Their actions are not dismissible just because they have a larger platform. In fact, a larger platform only means the possibility to cause more damage

I’m not sure sure what you mean with this question :thinking: it’s a little unclear to me

1 Like

I meant in terms of friendship and the like do you feel as if you connect more to big or small authors.

1 Like

Oh! Well then I think I could relate to authors with less reads. There’s many authors out there who are amazing at writing and have published great stories that go unnoticed! (Not saying my story is great and amazing or that I’m trying to sound cocky loll) but I understand how it feels to put a lot of time into a story only to not have it be noticed.
I also think with small authors, it’s easier to support each other because “big authors” do tend to sit on their high horse, so they don’t promote other stories unless they’re popular too. Authors with less reads tend to talk to each other more anyway :joy::joy:

I’m not saying all authors with a lot of reads are like this, but many are! I have met some authors with a bigger platform that are very humble

4 Likes

bump :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Bump!

1 Like

I have 1.2k reads and I maybe think I’m still medium or medium big. Lo I don’t really know

Do you consider yourself a big author or a small author? Any reason why?
Lmao, I feel self-centred saying this, but yeah, I kinda do consider myself a :air_quotes: big :air_quotes: author, obviously I’m not super popular, but I have 430k reads on my story, so that counts for something, right? :sweat_smile: I think I’m probably more in the middle, anyways.

Is there a name for authors in the middle? (Personally I call them “middling authors” :sweat_smile:).
Lol, I like ‘middling authors’, because that’s what I’d consider myself lmao. Maybe “semi-big authors” could also work? haha.

If you consider yourself a big author at what point did you start considering yourself one?
Probably when more people started coming to my instagram and asking for updates in my DMs, and probably when I passed 100K reads. But I guess I still don’t really consider myself to be a ‘big’ author’, more in the middle, like I said, haha.

When looking at other authors how do you determine this status? Reads? Instagram followers? Amount of times you hear their names mentioned? Place on the trending section? Etc.?
Instagram followers and reads, mostly.

At what read range do you consider someone a “small” “middle” or “big” author?
Small - Under 50K
Medium - 50K - 700K
Big - 700K+

Do you think how many reads someone has determines how many “passes” they get to do “wrong things” (I know this is a broad idea)? In other words do you think bigger authors get away with more?
Not really. Especially nowadays. The bigger an author is, the more people are likely to look for something to ‘cancel’ them for, and once they do everyone cancels them :sweat_smile: But then again, they do have their loyal fans. I guess, it just depends what they did.

Do you feel as if you connect to bigger or smaller authors more?
Small definitely. It wasn’t long ago that I was a “starving” author, haha. I relate to y’alls struggles :slight_smile:

“Small Author”, as I’m at 60 reads.

I guess “big” is when you get featured?