DISCUSSION: Black Comedy on Episode

Black comedy, also known as black humor, dark comedy, dark humor or gallows humor, is a comic style that makes light of subject matter that is generally considered taboo, particularly subjects that are normally considered serious or painful to discuss.

from Wikipedia lol

Just to be clear, it’s not the same as glorifying offensive subjects or traumatic events, but instead refusing to only let it affect you negatively. Many pop culture franchises have this genre, for example Men In Black, Deadpool, Parasite, Team America: World Police, etc.

I personally love dark humor to a certain extent especially ones I really relate to and can’t help but include some in my writings. Of course, I’ve had a few thoughts about reader reception on the topics and if the guidelines actually allow them.

So that’s why I made a few questions that you can answer freely :

1. What is your opinion on black comedy?
  2. To your understanding, do the Episode guidelines allow black comedy/dark humor? If yes, to what extent?
  3. Would you read a story that has dark humor?
  4. What is considered offensive humor to you?
  5. Have you ever stopped reading a story because you felt offended by it?
  6. Do you have recommendations for black comedy stories on the app? This one’s for me and y’all insensitive people

Also if you’d like to describe a potentially triggering stuff in detail, please blur them as spoiler :heart:

10 Likes

Exactly what you said, to a certain extent, it’s really enjoyable and I like it.

I haven’t read the guidelines in a while so much to read but I still should do it lol I don’t think that episode exactly implies that dark humor isn’t or is allowed, but I feel like as long as it doesn’t include stuff that’s totally against the rules (suicide, alcohol, drug use, ect.) it’s most likely fine.

If the plot interests me, sure!

I believe that offending others and implying on what someone is doing is wrong.

Nope, you can’t always please everyone

Sadly, I don’t! If someone has hmu rn!!:flushed::flushed::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: lol

1 Like

You’re right :joy: didn’t think to just summarize the don’ts before lolol thank you!

Can you explain more about implying on what someone is doing? I haven’t quite gotten it…

I actually read a few great ones but all of them had been reported :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Ohh damnn ):

Well you’re welcome lol :hugs:

I meant this, as in saying that someone thinks that somebody else’s beliefs, actions ect. are wrong. Tho they don’t even try to understand where the other person is coming from.
I hope u understood lol I’m bad at explaining

1 Like

I think I get it. Something like doctrine without reason? Also it wasn’t confusing, don’t worry🥰

1 Like

Yeah, exactly!
Nevertheless, I feel like those stories shouldn’t be flagged! :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Definitely know what you mean. Some people enjoy it. I don’t really make dark jokes, or listen to them, but I can’t really stop others from it. I will say that sometimes, there’s a limit, you know? I actually don’t really pay attention to it, but I do have thoughts since this topic came up. I’m more of in the middle.

Take it as a wound (this reference is similar to the one I saw in the internet):
If someone has a specific wound, you don’t poke it. If you do, you know it will hurt them. That’s basically complete disregard for another’s feelings (depending on the crowd you’re bothering).
But if I have the wound, and I poke it, it’s up to me and my choice only.

Dark humor will definitely be offensive to others. I make dark humor myself about my own race, if that makes sense? At the same time, there’s no point in arguing because an argument with a stranger won’t change viewpoints. I’d just say, be mindful of the crowd you speak to, you know?

It’s a joke when both sides know it’s a joke. It’s not a joke when the other doesn’t agree and it actually hurts them
(Sometimes it may be triggering to those with maybe PTSD, depression, anxiety, or other mental illnesses so I don’t think stories should have them unless there’s some kind of skip button)

4 Likes

I live for it.

To my understanding: If you have a disclaimer, they’ll most likely allow it as long as it is tastefully done. As in, it must stay very clearly a comedy, not written to offend or upset someone to the point of a breakdown.
That said, if you have a problem with a topic don’t go looking for stories about it.

I would give it a try.

Honestly, I can shrug off a lot of things as long as I know you’re joking and we are both okay with that. But SA isn’t one of them.

Not yet.

Unfortunately, no.

1 Like

To be honest I’ve never really known what dark humor is. I feel like SOME people use the dark humor excuse so that people don’t get mad or offended at them. Do you have a specific example of it?

2 Likes

I’m going to be completely honest. Dark humor has an extent. I’m asian, and since the corona pandemis started, alomst every single video I see of an asian on tiktok has somebody commenting “corona virus.” They make fun of my culture, they make fun of the food I eat, and they violently hurt people like me. And when they make these comments, they say it’s just a joke. But how is it a joke when everyone is blaming me for this virus? It makes me scared to go out to get groceries, it makes me worried for my grandparents! I live with only my grandparents and I get so scared that when they choose to go out without letting me know, they will be attacked. All these jokes about asians at this point just seems like an excuse honestly

5 Likes

I completely agree. It seems like people just use the dark humor excuse all the time. And when it offends people they will just say, “Its just a joke.” And everyone forgets about it. It must be hard for you during this coronavirus mess but hopefully the “jokes” will stop soon.

1 Like

It definitely is hard. I shouldn’t have to worry about a stranger attacking me just because I want to get vegetables at the grocery store. I just think this one is going to take a lot to die down because of how greatly it impacted our world, so everyone just pinpoints who to attack

1 Like

I really hope this tension with the coronavirus stops soon. Its affecting everyone in a bad way. You should make sure to bring pepper spray just in case that happens. (Even though I hope you stay safe)

1 Like

I thought about that but I have no money to buy anything other than needed supplies. Thank you sm <3 I hope you’re safe too

1 Like

Not exactly. Like @AnnSza answered, they would 100% take down your story if it contains the slightest bit of narcotics joke like I’ve seen in a friend’s story :joy:

1 Like

I agree. But as jokes are different from hate, I think it’s fine as long as disclaimers are put in the beginning, so those who continue reading would know what they’re in for.

1 Like

Most definitely jokes are different from hate. I’m not saying they’re the same. However, it’s important to be mindful to who you’re speaking towards because others might have differing viewpoints

1 Like

I feel like dark humor in general has a satirical purpose if used by the person related to the issue (e.g. a POC joking about racial discrimination) that probs won’t offend others if they said it, but might sound offensive if a caucasian did it. Still, you need to be thoughtful of when to use them and which crowd is listening.

A pretty brutal example is the movie Team America. You don’t need words to explain that one but really don’t watch it if you’re incomfortable with crude and kinda generally offensive humor

1 Like

Violence isn’t humor. Not even any typed nor verbal ones directed to you. I’m sorry you had to experience that.

I know that you can’t stop people from blaming their anxiety on something other than themselves with humor to feel relieved, but dank jokes are supposed to be for private audience and hidden away from general people. It’s definitely not an excuse for racism either.

1 Like

I could not agree more, which is why I don’t think these jokes should be on episode. But at this point, racism towards Asians is normalized so it’s only up to the future generation to educate others