DISCUSSION: Black Comedy on Episode

Thank you for the correction. I should probably read the guidelines. :thinking:

I would say that mild dark humor should be okay as long as detailed disclaimers are put? A lot of times they make the story more realistic and to poke sarcasm to the real haters. Also in mine and probably a lot of readersā€™ opinion is theyā€™re spicier than ā€œcleanā€ humor lolol

1 Like

Yeah, I can see what you mean. As long as thereā€™s disclaimers or some kind of option where it allows censorship, then I guess I donā€™t mind it. Either way, youā€™re entitled to your own opinion, and as long as that humor in the story doesnā€™t cross a line

1 Like

1. What is your opinion on black comedy?
I love it. I watch plenty of TV shows like this.

2. To your understanding, do the Episode guidelines allow black comedy/dark humor? If yes, to what extent?
I donā€™t really think they do. I guess you could say it depends, but even though I often feel tempted to add something like this to my stories, Iā€™m trying to resist. But you know, itā€™s maybe not really about the guidelines, but about the fact that the last thing I would want is to offend any of my readers. I tend to rewrite my scenes because of this, and Iā€™m still concerned that I might overlook something from time to time.

3. Would you read a story that has dark humor?
I definitely would, but at the same time I donā€™t think this would work on Episode.

4. What is considered offensive humor to you?
To me, um, basically nothing? :sweat_smile: Iā€™m actually the type of person who would make fun of themselves all the time, and I know I laugh about things that Iā€™m probably not supposed to. But while I could joke about basically anything with my close friends for example, there are so many things Iā€™d rather not joke about around other people.

5. Have you ever stopped reading a story because you felt offended by it?
No. I stopped reading quite a few stories that I found offensive in general, and I didnā€™t think that the author had an actual reason to include those things, besides wanting to be ā€œfunnyā€. But Iā€™ve never read a story that I personally felt offended by.

6. Do you have recommendations for black comedy stories on the app? This oneā€™s for me and yā€™all insensitive people
Honestly, I donā€™t. Iā€™ve read a few that could be categorized like this, but those werenā€™t funny, and I didnā€™t like them a bit.

5 Likes

Or waitā€¦ I think Pick Your Poison by Amberose is actually something like this. If she agrees that itā€™s something like this, I would say this is the right way to do it, and to make it fit this app

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Well, Pick Your Poison is supposed to be ā€œdark comedyā€ butā€¦ I feel like dark humour doesnā€™t translate well to Episode. Soā€¦ whether or not other people think itā€™s dark comedy :person_shrugging:

I enjoy it. Some of my favourite TV shows would be considered black comedies. I also studied it for a term in my drama class in high school and I found it interesting to learn about it that way.

I meanā€¦ :grimacing: Like, technically they do but it really depends on the author and what they think black comedy is. When I was challenged with creating a dark comedy story here, I really struggled because I thought everything I was coming up with would break the guidelines (the promotion ones - like promotion of violence, for example). However, itā€™s not as restricting as I thought it was. Itā€™s just that most people think dark comedy is only making jokes about race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. And even though TV shows and movies can involve those types of jokes, I think you donā€™t have to include them to call it a dark comedy. So to link that back to the question, yes the guidelines allow it, but within reason.

Iā€™d give it a try but Iā€™d probably go in with reservations unless I knew and trusted the author.

Tbh, thereā€™s not much that offends me personally when it comes to comedy. But even if it doesnā€™t offend me personally, I can still recognise when something is done in poor taste. So if the whole story relied on making fun of characterā€™s race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc then I probably wouldnā€™t think itā€™s right for the app.

Yeah. But the reasons I stopped reading were more about how the authors respondedā€¦ And none of them were comedies. Lol.

I probably have come across a max of, like, three on Episodeā€¦ Butā€¦ They have all been banned. Because as I said, this is not something that translates well to Episode and so authors tend to break the guidelines in their attempts. But if you want to try my half-dark-humour-half-parody story, itā€™s called Pick Your Poison :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s true, though for me personally when a story has a dark twist or distinctive humor of its own it kind of creates a unique impression. Losing a few readers is a fair price (tho of course disclaimers should be put so technically you wonā€™t lose any). I have exited like one or two stories that offend me personally, and theyā€™re still on the app.

2 Likes

Has the story been reviewed yet? Iā€™m curious :rofl:

Would including them break the guidelines though? There are quite a few stories about the struggles of being a POC and I canā€™t imagine myself writing them without adding racial jokesā€¦

I think I know who youā€™re talking about

Iā€™ll definitely check out Pick Your Poison! :two_hearts:

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s okay to lose a few readers, it happens. Iā€™d just prefer to lose them because of something else than putting offensive jokes in my stories, if this makes sense. Sometimes I feel like Iā€™m making this a bigger deal than it actually is, but then I go back to reread my earlier stories/episodes and Iā€™m like ā€œJeez, did I really think this was okay, let alone funny?ā€
And because of this I kind of think that not every author is aware if they are doing anything ā€œwrongā€. Itā€™s pretty difficult to draw the line, I guess.

This made me curious because you said youā€™re not the sensitive type: apart from how those stories made you feel, would you say that they were still in line with the guidelines?

2 Likes

well, I like bit darker humor. But as you say to some extent.
While I was enjoying Venom. Deadpool was bit on the border with it for me.I kinda liked it when I have seen it the first time but on the second time, a lot of these jokes seemed kinda too cheezy and are there just to ā€œbe thereā€ while Venom was funny for me the same for the second time too.

But both are massively popular films so it is really more like my personal taste I think.

I would definitely go read such a story it the story itself would be interesting and well written.

I would probably not feel offended but I stopped reading a story which had simply too weird humor for me - I still remember the scene when I was just thinking ā€œWTFā€ - the girl was like 16 and in the shower there was blood overlay under her (yeah she had her days) and she then run happily to the family screaming something like I am so happy I got menstruation I will not get pregnant today! Yuppie!..not sure if the family was also in the bathroom and have seen the blood but I have feeling it was so - I canā€™t describe how awkward it was for me and I quit the story because I realized I do not relate to this type of humor.

But I bet some did find it amusing.

I donā€™t remember reading really black comedy on episode actually.

an to the question if it is possible to write it in episode guidelines ā€¦hmmā€¦well soft version yes the really hard core for sure not. Dark humor is othen based on ofencies which in general are ā€œbadā€ on episode and othen even amusing on race and similar taboo topic. And the comunity here ir oversensitive to such thing in my opinion.

In my mind comes the big bang theory where especially Howadrd makes bit rasistic offensive Jokes to Rajesh or thay joke about Sheldon a lot who is in a way really socialy disabled and it is not his fault - I canā€™t imagine having such jokes on episode and not having hate mail actually.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty desensitized to a certain extent :joy:
You can say Iā€™m quite religious, though I think Iā€™m lacking in so many aspects. Iā€™ve never exited because of dark humor but some other stuffs. This could be getting off topic but thereā€™s one K&T entry that really disturbed me;

the MC is a nun who wears a veil and entirely covered clothing, but her ā€œlove interestā€ kept thinking about her in his own mind (that kind of thoughts). At the end of the episode, he pulled her veil off before kissing her. Iā€™m not a nun or a Christian, but it was utterly disrespectful, especially because the premise itself promotes ā€œgetting out of your comfort zoneā€ as if choosing to devote yourself is a fault.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually black comedy :rofl: whatā€™s it called? Did it not get reported?

Yeah, I see your point. Just a slightly controversial topic could be the beginning of a virtual catfight in the forums.

1 Like

Sorry, if I made you go off-topic, I was just really curious and it indeed sounds umā€¦ weird?

But I have to say I also agree with this:

Now that you mentioned Big Bang Theory, thatā€™s a pretty interesting example. Itā€™s a highly praised show and I donā€™t think many people would classify it as dark comedy, even though it really has a lot of offensive jokes. I guess itā€™s easier to get away with things on Netflix, than on Episode, lol

2 Likes

Not only on forums - writers ger direct hate mail to the fan mail or on Instagram ā€¦ I just recently I have seen the writer attacked on Instagram called selfish and disrespectful to readers with different skin color just because she had white MC and no CC. (BTW very popular story with over million reads)

This was so low from the ā€œfanā€ā€¦ uhā€¦

Uh, I really donā€™t remember the name but I will try to look it up. :slight_smile: I read it before the new guidelines so I have no idea it the story survived it. :slight_smile:

They have way broader audience and no crack joke restrictions

1 Like

Makes me wonder how he/she lives in societyā€¦

Yeah, there was one death I had to change due to excessive or promotion of violence- specifically because a body cannot be on screen after itā€™s been shot. That was how I understood it anyway. And there was swears I forgot to censor :flushed:

My understanding isā€¦ Actually it depends how itā€™s done. Youā€™re not allowed to have slurs of any kind and I believe youā€™re not allowed to show things like racism, sexism, etc. (even if youā€™re showing it as a bad thing) (but I have seen this in stories that have been approved anyway so idk??) ā€¦ But I from what I can tell and what Iā€™ve seen others do, you can play up certain racial stereotypes for a joke and Episode will allow that. Iā€™m basing this on what Iā€™ve seen be approved anyway

I think this is Benzio by Lia Lopez

And also, I think Bad Cops by Merlin might also be considered a bit of a dark comedy story if you want to check it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a friend who is American born Chinese who was just walking down the street and got told to go ā€œback to chinaā€ recently. Itā€™s so messed up :frowning_face: I think the pandemic really brings out the worse in people or, at least, brings to light how ignorant/idiotic people really areā€¦

Tiktok is full of young teens who donā€™t understand the things they say are stupid and not funny. Such comments like those arenā€™t even clever. They just suck. :-1:

1 Like

I feel so bad for every Asian who has to go through these racist comments and assaults:( it gets really scary to go out now but itā€™s okay because I know itā€™ll get better eventually :heart: Just make sure you stay safe

2 Likes

I love it.

Hmm. Thatā€™s kind of hard for me to answer because I havenā€™t seen ā€œmuchā€ dark comedy on Episode. As long as what you write canā€™t be interpreted in a hostile way towards any group of people ā€” I think itā€™s OK.

Heck yea.

Not much. :joy: Iā€™m not a serious type of person at all. Iā€™m actually more afraid of offending people than I am of being offended!

I think the only thing I do not tolerate are jokes about rape and racism (like blatant racismā€” when you can tell the person is clearly just more than ā€œjokingā€)

Nope.

Honestly I donā€™t. But if you do, lemme know :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like