DISCUSSION: Break up with your Girlfriend, cuz i'm bored

hey lovess

SO, recently Arianna Grande came out with Break up with your girlfriend, cuz i’m bored. Weird title for a song but remember not to judge. Before we keep going into this topic, I wanted to make this topic for fun and remember to NOT start drama?

Anyways, many fans are I guess it’s the right term for it, many fans are triggered. The whole music video is showing many different things, there was no surprise when this song was as great as her many other songs like Thank U, Next - God is a woman - 7 rings all of these songs were great but now lets actually talk about this song.

A lot of Arianna’s fans were triggered with the whole video, and especially the ending. If you live under or a rock or just simply didn’t have time to watch the music video which you should, at the end when Arianna starts approaching the well-known actor Charles Melton, just when you think they’re going to be the ones kissing she ends approaching his ‘girlfriend’. Before we say anything else, Charles Melton stans don’t come for me but… he low-key high-key looks like handsome squidward like I know it ain’t right but I don’t care ;)). Anyways, the ending triggering many people, but some people thought she was doing something wrong. What did you think?

Questions

Overall opinion on the song / lyrics?

Opinions on the music video?

What do you think about the ending?

Do you think anything was wrong with the ending?

Do you think anything was wrong with the overall song?

My overall opinion on the whole song
Honestly, this song is very catchy and the music video is nice. However, this song is not the best at least to me, and I like 7 rings a lot better. I wouldn’t put it on myself probably, but if it came on I wouldn’t turn it off.

love, iqra
:heart:

Random tags

@Chocolate_Mama @loveyourself @adam.epy @qwueen @keiji @JemU776

5 Likes

yas i love that song smmmm the ending was also rly iconic & cute & nothin was wrong it was a genuinely bad-ass song haha

1 Like

Overall opinion on the song / lyrics?
Its a BOP! I love it! Great beat! Vocals amazing! (as always) Would I say the lyrics are super deep and meaningful? No. But in saying this, in an interview she did she said “It was all for fun”. She said she she was sitting in her car and she thought the ‘break up with your girlfriend. cuz i’m bored’ would be such a funny song. Conveniently she was driving to a music sesh so she proposed the idea and they decided to write it. The song was purely for fun. So you can’t expect deep, meaningful lyrics from the song.

Opinions on the music video?
I’m pretty sure since her whole thing shes got going now is loving yourself, the girl who played the gf (she kinda looked like Ari, come on) was supposed to symbolize her or something. So in the end, it was still the whole message of “remember to love yourself” however overall, I don’t see an issue with it.

Like I said above I think it was symbolizing to “remember to love yourself”

No

No

1 Like

I forget to mention this in the original post and am too lazy to edit that so, I think how the girlfriend looked like Ari was connected “Her name is Ari, and i’m so good with that” so basically like you’re saying to remember to love yourself.

1 Like

Yeah, so I don’t see how people are getting triggered or peeved or anything. Also I agree that 7 rings is a way better song the break up with you gf, cuz im bored.

The song was about her breaking up with her “boyfriend” to focus on herself and love herself more, that’s why the “girlfriend” resembled her so much. So I don’t understand why people would think she’s queer-baiting, using “wlw” as an aesthetic when it’s pretty clear she wasn’t. But I love the song and I’m a big fan of her new album, especially “in my head” :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tag @anon89987562 but I’m not a fan of Ariana Grande. I don’t listen to her songs, so I don’t know much about this, sorry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh sorry for bothering you then! :heart:

It’s fine but from reading what you wrote, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with this. Sometimes people have a tendency to overact and make a big deal of something. No need for backlash. Sometimes music videos are for fun, not to be taken seriously.

On a side note, we need more people like Michael Jackson in the world. When Eminem made a music video showing MJ’s hair on fire (won’t go into detail, but it was a parody) MJ just laughed it off, and said other stuff that wasn’t rude at all, but then again, it’s so like him (love him, he’s the King of Pop and Kindness) :black_heart:

2 Likes

I’ve never heard the song but I’m not proud to say but I did break up with my first boyfriend for his friend because A: He only wanted to makeout. B: His friend was cute in my eyes then. And C:…his friend had an amazing jacket :woman_facepalming:t5: Ik Ik it’s terrible but yeah that’s why I broke up with him and also because I was bored but I was young and stupid. So this song sounds like my first relationship :sweat_smile:

Opinion on song/lyrics?
I have had that doj in repeat since it was released. Especially since the beat is SO well made.

Opinion on music video?
I really liked it, storyline and directing wise. Hannah also directed 7 Rings as thank u, next, and I already want her to do the rest of the videos for the era. I had to watch it a couple of times to get the story.

I was SHOOK at first, then I understood she was basically kissing herself.

No. I know a lot of people think it was wrong for the other version of her to be played by another woman… but it almost made sense so they could reveal the secret at th end. You also see subtle queues as the other woman being like her (outfits she’s worn before, hairstyles, looking at the mirror at each other).

Not really. I mean, I wouldn’t urge someone break up with their SO because I think they’re hot, but I still enjoy it. It’s obviously a fun song with sultry vibes (reminds me of Dangerous Woman, the song). How many times do singers and rappers tell another person that they will steal their man/woman or urge another person to cheat or break up? Like…

I live under a rock, sooo…

ok ok I’ve just not heard of it because YT is blocked at our house

I forgot to say that the 7 ring music is played in thank u, next

@jade.cherry

Nah, we can’t afford it, money’s super tight atm.

1 Like

Spotify is free

1 Like

I’ll have a look at it x

1 Like

I don’t even listen to Arianna Grande… I don’t really like her.

1 Like

bruuhhh i swear this songs gets stuck in my head, AND I SWEAR I DON’T EVEN LISTEN TO IT :joy: :triumph:

1 Like

I think the song was about self-love and that’s what she was trying to demonstrate throughout the whole song and video. Arianna picked a model that looked like her purposefully, because she wanted to show that you can fall in love with herself. I think perhaps the way she went about it might not have been the greatest, because I can see how some people think she is tokenized wlw and not giving them justice. I think the title is purposefully supposed to catch people off guard and then she draws them in with the truth of the song, which is, she’s learning to love herself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.