DISCUSSION: Cancel Culture

What do you guys think about cancel culture? I see a lot of authors getting “cancelled” because sometimes some people don’t like their content and not actually because they’re problematic (not saying there are no problematic stories/authors). But do you think the way people are holding others accountable for certain things is alright? There are healthier ways to do such things. What healthy ways do you guys think people should adapt when holding people responsible for certain actions? Do you believe people should be held accountable for things they did in the past even tho they have apologized and changed to be a better person? Do you think people can actually change?

4 Likes

I honestly think if there is something offensive in a story, the reader should try help the author educate themselves on why and how they could avoid it instead of just cancelling them right away. But I do get it if we cancel authors after the issue is brought to their attention but they just don’t fix it and acknowledge it.

4 Likes

Agreed!

3 Likes

I think that cancelling authors because they have wrote something offensive is valid sometimes. Everyone makes mistakes and as long as the author uses this feedback to change their story it’s ok. But what I think is crossing the line is if an author has used a slur which is offensive to any community (LGBTQ+, Black community ect,) Many authors don’t take criticism very well, they usually think it’s ‘bullying’ but there is a line that can be crossed when it comes to ‘cancelling’ authors.

4 Likes

I think that the cancel culture has lost its initial purpose long time ago. It may have started with good intentions but now it’s just bullying.
For those who don’t know much about bullying, the bullies think that whoever they are bullying,did something wrong, it never happens for no(from their point of view) reason. For example, I was bullied in middle school, because the teacher wanted to give me a grade that was less than perfect and I panicked(because I used to always get the highest grades) and begged her to give me a higher grade. My classmates thought it was pathetic and bullied me for it. They surely thought they were doing the right thing but they were still bullies in the end.
So, when I see all those people publicly harassing one person(especially a teen like them) without giving them a chance to acknowledge their mistakes and learn,calling them names etc, it’s just so disgusting to me. At this point I feel like many people don’t care about the issue of racism as much, they just use it as an excuse to straight up bully someone.
Also can we talk about how when people disagree with someone’s opinion, instead of educating/explaining/having a discussion, a person just gets called stupid, problematic, a clown etc?? Girl, using this - :skull_and_crossbones::sparkles::clown_face: doesn’t make you superior. Calling a person names also doesn’t make you superior,only just as bad as them.
Next, I want to mention how useless this cancel culture ACTUALLY is. There was this Abby girl people kept cancelling (because she copied someone’s story cover and because she basically supported all lives matter - none of which is okay!). But then I checked the trending horror stories and guess who was #1??? Really guys??? Good job :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:
All I wanna say is, Episode really has to start taking action to solve the issue of problematic things in stories and authors who write them,because let’s be honest, the community can’t solve sh*t and it just gets more toxic every day.

8 Likes

I agree with this to an extent, bullying is pointless and can have a very serious affect on someone’s mental health. But I think that the episode community is very good at correcting people’s mistakes.Sometimes when people make terrible mistakes and they learn from it and grown as a person people don’t give them the opportunity to change and look at their mistakes,which needs to change. But we shouldn’t just watch people post racist, homophobic ect things and ‘wait’ for Episode to address the issues because it can take a long time so we shouldn’t read their stories, or send hate mail, we should just report the story and author and kind of move on without being rude, or nasty. The community cannot remove the story or author, there is a limit to what the community can do although I don’t condone bullying of any shape way or for, people do need to call out authors when they are wrong.

5 Likes

cancel culture should be about canceling someone who is making mistakes more than once, if you cancel someone for making a mistake only once, that would be bad because u want to make sure the person learns from what they did. So when fans don’t like their content for the first time the authors should learn from that. But, lets say the author makes the same bad content twice, that is when they should be canceled because at this point the author isn’t listening to its fans or stopping the content they make.

4 Likes

I personally am on the fence about it. In some cases it is needed because somebody is repeating mistake again and again without caring about their actions. When they get widespread negative feedback this might encourage them to take responsibility for their actions and make an effort to make up for them. But, there’s also people who make one small mistake or their content isn’t even problematic it’s just not to everybody’s taste who receive way too much negative feedback for it. Of course you can correct somebody but if it’s a one time thing and the person in question is willing to take accountability and attempt to fix it then they should be given another chance. There’s people out there who need their platform taken away much more.

4 Likes

If the author shows again and again that they have not changed, I feel it’s valid to “cancel” them. But it feels like nowadays people strip stories to its absolute core to find something minuscule to cancel authors for (I don’t mean racial or homophobic slurs or anything of the likes, I mean small things that shouldn’t matter…) and everyone at the same time gangs up on them for it and sometimes the author gets death threats. I think that’s horrible and no one deserves to get death threats. Of course if they did something bad, you’re not obligated to forgive them, but there are definitely people who go way too far with it. As an author it just makes me scared that people are going to find one small thing in my story that wasn’t meant to be offensive but somehow was interpreted in the wrong way, and then bam, just like that I’m cancelled by the whole community.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.