DISCUSSION: Completing Your Stories

Original topic: DISCUSSION : Finishing Stories

I decided to make a V2 of this topic since there’s a lot of new community members here now and I thought it would be interesting to see some new opinions/see if some old members have changed theirs :slight_smile: You don’t have to answer all/any of the questions below but I do want to start a discussion about your completing stories because also I have a personal interest in this sksksjk.

Questions~

For authors:

1. Have you ever completely finished a story before?
    1.a) Were you satisfied with the ending?
    1.b) Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
  2. What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?
  3. Did you feel influenced by your readers to end it a certain way? If so, did you give in to what they wanted?

For readers:

1. Have you ever completely finished reading a story before?
    1.a) Were satisfied / unsatisfied with the ending? Don’t totally shade a story here if the ending sucked pls lol

Poll:

What kind of endings do you like in stories:

• Open endings
  • Endings that show characters several years in the future
  • Bonus episode where you see all the endings
  • Sad endings
  • We’re-pregnant-with-twins endings

0 voters

8 Likes

I mean yeah? But it was only three episodes long. It was for the Thriller creator’s contest, and your story had to be completed.

Mmmm, ish. See I liked the endings, but wish they weren’t so rushed. If I had more time to direct and develop them, I think I would be a bit more satisfied.

Strangely enough, I think most people were. It was left quite open to be continued, but the plot was very short so I think the ending was due. There was a big choice that determined your ending, so I guess people could’ve decided what they wanted based on that.

I guess wrapping up all the plotlines and filling the holes? I want to make people feel like the ending was due, not like it ended abruptly. And maybe saying goodbye to your characters? I know I miss mine.

I guess I would. But I know the ending of how all my stories go, so I doubt I’ll be changing them. I don’t want to cheat people, but I’ve planned everything out, so I’ll be continuing it according to the plan.

3 Likes

For authors:
Have you ever completely finished a story before?
On Episode - Yes, sorta, it was a collection of little ones, but I finished the collection.
On paper/MS Word - Yes. It’s pretty rare, but I’ve finished a few novel-sized stories. (I think all of them have an unfinished sequel/spinoff, but that’s another topic. :joy:)
Were you satisfied with the ending?
On Episode - Yeah, it wasn’t a hugely consequential story, mostly just a test run at Donacode.
On paper/MS Word - Usually, yes. Even though I’m a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pantser, I generally knew where the ending was going to be, so I could steer the story toward something favourable. I only have one where the ending was weak, because a villain who was intended to be a background character hijacked the plot. Long story short, the big climax was like 50 pages away from the ending, lame af. But otherwise, I know what I’m doing on the dismount. (Survivorship bias there; if I don’t know where the ending is going, I often don’t get to the ending. :sweat_smile: )
Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
On Episode - I’ve got 101 reads on a 4-ep story, and 4 fanmails, all are from sweet people with some version of “I really like the story!” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So I suppose lol.
On paper/MS Word - My only reader is me, see above. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to a story?

• Letting the characters go (don’t worry, you can always start a spinoff!)
  • Wrapping up the arcs, if you’ve bitten off more than you can chew (tbh I rarely have more than one)
  • Actually getting to the planned ending and not losing motivation along the way lol (the big one for me)
  • Ironing out flaws in the canon (I run into this all the time with new and highly creative stories, rules have been used in the second half that weren’t legal in the first half, or events in the first half would be too overpowered in the second half, etc).

Did you feel influenced by your readers to end it a certain way? If so, did you give in to what they wanted?
On Episode - I publish complete.
On paper/MS Word - I don’t publish.

For readers:
Have you ever completely finished reading a story before?
Seeing as I’ve been on the app for more than, like, a week, yes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Were satisfied / unsatisfied with the ending?
-searching through my shelf- No, yes, no, kinda, ish, maybe, ew, kinda…
I’m thinking of one by a very popular author where the ending was beautiful (the whole thing was, imo). :relaxed: Then they just did a bonus scene where the main couple is old and one of them has just passed away, and I teared up like: “You LITERALLY did not have to do that.”
I’m thinking of another one maybe by the same author :sweat_smile: where I think the author was backed into a corner, a perfect ending was impossible given the events of the story. Imo (just imo) the way the author tried to compensate was even worse, had me yelling at my phone like “(through tears) What does that even mean??? :sob:” Still 10/10 though, would recommend if you like to feel things. :sob::ok_hand: And now I can’t recommend it because I spoiled it, but still.

But yeah, I’ve seen great endings, bad endings, predictable endings (oh so many predictable endings) and everything in between. :relaxed:

My comments on the poll:
Open endings - There’s a difference between open endings like “And they had many more adventures in the years to come~” versus ones that do this: “Oh btw we didn’t solve one of the major arcs, goodbye.” To give an outdated example of the good kind of open ending, I think the ending of the first The Incredibles movie would have been a fantastic end to the series (but they opened it up because apparently rebooting shit is the theme of the decade). What appears to be a minor-medium villain appears… because the job of a superhero is never finished. :superhero: -end credits-
Endings that show the characters several years into the future - Sure, why not I guess. :+1:
Bonus episode - Depends. Generally, if I got to consciously pick my ending, or if the best ending was easy to get, I don’t bother reading the extra endings. I can rarely drum up emotions for my chosen LI, let alone the others. But if getting max points was difficult, or on the rare occasion that I was split between the LIs, I like to see the other endings.
Sad endings - Nah. Give me sad in the story, and make me tear up with happiness at the end, that’s how ya get me.
We’re pregnant with twins - Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

1 Like

Ever thought about going back and editing it now?

I’m glad you used this example. I agree a lot

3 Likes

I’ve been here too long to not have honestly.

Both many times!

For me, the endings I like best are the ones that feel like the most natural progression of plot and characters - in other words, for better or for worse, you understand why x characters received the ending they did and it makes sense.

I mentioned this on another thread, but that’s why I mostly don’t like the Episode “happily ever after married with kids” ending. So often it feels forced rather than making me believe that is the happiest ending for that character.

Storyscape (may it rest in peace :wilted_flower:) was very good at giving its characters earned or sensical endings. With Titanic, Charlie’s a man who follows ideals to the extremes, so if you save him from going down with the ship with his fellow workers, you get an open ending because he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to forgive you for taking that choice away from him. A lesser author would have had him forgive you and marry you. Zetta’s also makes sense. Even though she loves you, she won’t cancel her engagement to a man because that’s how she sees the world: you make choices to get what you want. You can be with her, but only in secret. It’s bittersweet. Matteo, ironically, has the happiest romantic ending of the three. As a man of color in 1912, he starts off rather cynical and opportunistic because he can’t let go of how much he wants to succeed in high society and show up all the people who look at him as lesser. That character arc progresses throughout the story of course, but the final straw for his change is when the tragedy of the Titanic strikes. His realization is basically that when the end of life comes, power means nothing. So it makes complete sense that he is able to have the happiest ending: abandoning his work for James to come live with you and your sister.

Sorry for the essay. I just have thoughts and I think lots of authors could learn from their example.

3 Likes
    I mean… I have a completed story on the app but it isn’t really complete as there is a second part but written as a separate book lol.

I guess so. It was a great place to stop start the second part.

Well they kept demanding for a part 2 so maybe?

1. What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?
    Wouldn’t really know. Never properly gotten to that stage yet lol.

2. Did you feel influenced by your readers to end it a certain way? If so, did you give in to what they wanted?
    Well since my story is almost at it’s end, I do feel a little influenced to give them what they want, but I know how I want the story to end and I think it’s a great way to end the story so I’ll end it how I’ve planned regardless of what the readers want.

3 Likes

Now and then, but I’ve got too much writing I’m currently working on. Maybe in the future I’ll do a part 2 :grin:

RIP Storyscape :disappointed: But yes, I agree. I feel like the endings weren’t necessarily meant with the purpose to please the readers, but gave the characters the ending they deserved (not the right word?) which felt logical, too.

2 Likes

It’s okay, I know what you mean. The endings match the characters basically. That’s why I also admire Bojack Horseman. You don’t always like the endings or conclusions to the show’s plot points, but in your heart, you know that was the most logical progression. It makes any moment of sadness feel authentic to real life and any piece of joy earned.

2 Likes

Well, this is going to be long.

For authors:
Yes, I completed four stories. But I archived one, so in my books that doesn’t really count.

Yeah, I was mostly satisfied with my endings, especially considering that I started writing all of these stories without an outline and without having any idea what I want exactly.

Hmm :thinking: Two of my stories have a “happy ending” but I tried to put in some twists so that they wouldn’t be so boring. I hope I managed to pull this off.
My third story has a pretty different ending because it’s rather bittersweet. I mean, I like to think it’s entertaining to read, but I’m pretty sure the characters didn’t like it that much haha

2. What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?
Oh, so many things. To me writing the last episode is always the most exciting, but also the most stressful part.
So this is what usually happens in my head:

• Do I want a romantic ending? If yes, how can I make it cliche enough so people would like it, but not so cliche that they would hate it?
  • What message do I send with this? Does my idea contribute anything to the MC’s character development?
  • Wait, does this even make sense? Or did I create a plot hole somewhere?
  • Did I close the storyline properly? Did I answer all the questions?
  • Do I even want to answer all the questions or should I make a somewhat open ending?

And yes, know I’m making this a bigger deal than it is, lol.

3. Did you feel influenced by your readers to end it a certain way? If so, did you give in to what they wanted?
I never really felt influenced by my readers because the closest thing to this was when someone asked me to make a certain character a love interest, but she already was. On the other hand, I always try to imagine what they would want to see, and I hope I’m more or less getting it right :sweat_smile:

For readers:
1. Have you ever completely finished reading a story before?
Yes, I finished quite a few, but I also stopped reading a lot of stories because they were being dragged on. As I noticed I usually start losing interest after 30-40 episodes.

1.a) Were satisfied / unsatisfied with the ending?
I was rather happy with the ones I finished. If a story is going into a direction I don’t like, I usually notice that earlier and I never finish it.

Amber, I feel personally attacked by at least one of the options in the poll, and you know which one is that :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t think you are. These are a really good list of questions people should ask themselves too!

:kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

Also, look at all those voters who never commented :eyes:

1 Like

I voted but didn’t comment because my answers haven’t changed from last time lol.

1 Like

Firstly, the author-related questions:

1. Yes, I’ve finished six of them.
    1a. For the most part, yes, though one is admittedly rather rushed (maybe I’ll expand that last ep when I’m not three kinds of burnt out).
    1b. Well, I certainly hope so, though I don’t know because I shut off fanmail a long time ago.
  2. Making sure the ending a) makes sense and b) either gives good closure to the story/characters or sets up spinoffs and/or sequels well.
  3. No (again, no fanmail to deal with).

Now, the reader-related questions:

1. I’ve finished many stories.
    1a. For the most part, I’ve been satisfied with story endings (and no, I’m not gonna mention the endings I didn’t care for).

(Oh, and I voted for the bonus ep in the poll.)

1 Like

We’re pregnant with triplets, actually

1 Like

Aww, but you’re tracking anyway :relieved:

Plot twist :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Nah, I just have no life and always click to check new replies in the fan community section :rofl:

Since my answers (Nov '18), I haven’t completed any more stories :sweat_smile: but I’ve also only written one- Agent Cinderella.

I’ll re-answer this one.
Basically all my stories have multiple endings and the option to read all the endings (for free/no gems) in a bonus chapter. Maternal Instincts (both versions) had a lot of angry fanmail from readers upset with the ending they got so… no. In some cases, my readers haven’t been satisfied with the ending they got because someone died.

1 Like

Hahahahaha that’s a shame. I would have thought a bonus episode would have lessened the blow for most people

You would think so, but no.
I had to add a disclaimer in the cinematic version lol. It was basically a message saying not to send me hate if you don’t like your ending as you get to read them all in the next episode.

1 Like
  1. Yes. I finished four stories.
    1a. I was satisfied with the ending for three pf my four stories as it was the most logical and realistic ending I could think of. I didn’t want to make a cliche or unrealistic ending to the story.
    1b. To be honest, I think the feelings the readers had for the ending were mixed. Some were happy, some were not, and some were just “indifferent” about it. I try to make endings that can satisfy everyone, but it’s hard to pull it off. That’s why everything is so important in the story. From the characters, plot, theme, and setting. If you create all those elements in a unique and original matter, as well as tap into your inner-creativity, you can create a breath-taking or acceptable ending for your audience. It’s hard to create a good ending if your characters are unrelatable. It’s hard to create a good ending if the plot if generic and has been done multiple times before. (I hope this makes sense).
  2. This answer can be seen in my answer to 1b.
  3. No, and this goes for everyone. It’s your story. Nobody elses. End it the way you want to end it. If you want to end it one way, go for it. If you want to have multiple endings, go for it. But don’t let people tell you how to write your story. You’re the one who is putting in an ungodly amount of hours to make it. However, this doesn’t mean you should ignore criticism and advice when it comes to your story.

For readers:

1. Yes, I completely finished a story and I was satisfied with the ending. I won’t list the name of the story. But it had a beautiful and well constructed plot with great characters and an eerie, yet humorous theme. The ending was well thought and realistic. It was the best way to end the story and the only person who could have come up with an ending like that was the author themselves.
1 Like

bump :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

Yeah quite a lot of them. I’ve actually been preferring to read completed stories lately simply because they are completed lol

There are maybe one or two with endings that were say anti-climactic so disappointing. But most of the stories I completed have pretty satisfying endings

1 Like