DISCUSSION: Completing Your Stories

Bumping because a story I was reading has published the final episodes and the ending I got has ruined the entire story for me :pensive::v:

1 Like

Did you make bad choices? Or was the ending a choice?

1 Like

No, it was given to me based on points earned throughout, which I thought I had done really well with based on the readermessages… But I have a feeling the author made the good ending something only attainable by buying some bonus points which was offered at the end of each episode

1 Like

Is there an option to read the other ending?
I personally hate when there isn’t, especially when a story is long. I’m not re-reading 50 chapters just to see the other outcome lol

1 Like

Luckily there was, but I still feel so let down by that ending. I also had my character revert back to the default look too at the beginning of the last episode so it felt weird. It was luck a double punishment for not buying points :sob:

1 Like

Oh my goodness! This is off topic but I feel like a story I’m reading is doing the same thing and is making not want to read until the end of the story.
Every episode, I keep picking the choice that increases my points and if I don’t, I only ever end up messing up once which it says only removes 1 point (well that’s what the readerMessage says anyway). I don’t buy a top up point at the end because I see gem choices now which I believe is having an effect on the type of responses I get because it always says I never have enough points and that my points are too low which is a lie, because I know my points should be high.

Back on topic, I still have no completed stories and with the way I’m moving, we don’t know if I ever will lol.

1 Like

I don’t consider it off topic because I basically started this segway :joy: But question… Did the story your referring to tell you how many points you had at the end of each episode? The story I was talking about never did and it never told me how many I would need to unlock an ending. Since there was only two endings and two types of my points I could earn, I assume the coding was that which ever types of points I was leading with determined my ending. But after thinking about it now for like the past four hours, now I’m even more sure the author either coded it wrong or made it impossible to get there without spending gems

1 Like

No this story does not tell me the amount of points I have each episode. All it does it just ask if I want to add a point. This story is still on going but I feel like the endings will be a little dry however, it’ll still be nice to get the ending I want especially as I keep picking choices that I don’t want to pick just to get a point. I guess I’ll never know now about how the story really ends or which ending I’ll get because I’ve stopped reading the story lol.

1 Like

Yeah, for sure. I will say I finish far fewer stories than I start. I always try to give it a good go, though.

There are only a few stories where I felt deeply unsatisfied by the ending. There are also only a few stories where I felt like the ending really punched me in the gut - in a good way at the end. Most of the time, my response to endings is varying degrees of “meh.” It’s not necessarily a bad thing, since I’m often looking for certain things in an ending that I don’t think satisfy many other readers.

I do like open endings, or endings where the central questions of the story are answered but you’re left with larger, thematic questions about your own life or view of the world. Personally, I’m not really drawn to “marriage and babies” endings because most of the time, you don’t really even know how the characters’ relationship progressed so I feel like I’m supposed to just believe everything worked out for them for no reason. I also…don’t care about marriage or children, which I know is just a personal preference so that’s fine, but it would be nice to see relationships flourish in other ways. This makes it sound like meh or unsatisfactory endings apply mostly to romance genres or plots, but! That is not! The! Case!

I’ve talked about this before and it is truly the curse of the fantasy genre, but: anticlimactic “boss fights.” Doesn’t have to be a literal Evil Magician or whatever. BUT so many stories spend 30 chapters where you’re wringing your hands in anticipation of fighting the Big Evil because it’s going to be so hard and demand so much knowledge and sacrifice. And then in the end, theres a 2 minute confrontation where the MC randomly remembers a powerful spell of bit of knowledge that outsmarts the Big Bag and that’s it. And the Big Bad is kind of like “-shakes fist- foiled again!!!” Very Scooby Doo-esque. And the rest of the chapter is the MC becomes The Supreme Ruler and Is The Most Just and Fair Ruler of All (and then fantasy marriage and babies lol). You don’t need - and probably couldn’t have - a 3 episode bloodbath or anything, but…eeef. I dunno. That’s why when stories near completion, I try to tap into my “meh” zone. I can live with it. I know writing endings can be hard, so I don’t really complain unless the ending seems to contradict the entire point or theme of the story lol

3 Likes