DISCUSSION: Conflict in Stories

hey there :yellow_heart: :sunflower: let’s talk about conflict in stories… -

there’s a lot of types that can be used in stories - character vs: character, self, nature, society, machine, animal, etc. I want to hear your thoughts on how these are used in episode stories. feel free to answer as many or few as you like.

Questions:

1. As a reader, which do you get more invested in: the characters, or the problem they’re trying to solve?

2. Would you keep reading if you weren’t invested or couldn’t relate to the conflict?

3. When is the best time to introduce a conflict or problem to the story (first episode, fifth episode, etc.)?

4. Is romantic tension the same as story-driving conflict?

5. What over-used story arcs/narratives are you tired of seeing?

6. What would make the example you just gave more interesting to read?

7. In 3 sentences or less, write out the most interesting, cliche, or ridiculous story arc (problem, action, solution) you can think of.

8. Anything else you’d like to add (rants, thoughts, etc.)?

thanks for reading - love hearing what you guys have to say :blob_hearts:

5 Likes

You need a bit of both. If I don’t care about the character, then I don’t care about the problem they’re trying to solve.

I usually say around the middle-end of the first episode. Before the first episode is over, I want a general idea of the background info, the main character, and what the rest of the story is going to be about. If you make it a cliffhanger, the reader may be more inclined to start the next episode

Depends on the story. If you’re writing a romance, it might be one in the same. But, if you are writing in another genre it’ll probably be different

5 Likes

1: if I dont get invested, simply you haven’t made a good character. and dont say well you dont like cause she is mean or evil, some of the most loved characters are the evil ones, its not an excuse for writing bad characters.

1. I dont have to relate, I have to be interested, I dont relate to two men killing demons, I still watch every season of supernatural.

2. kinda the first, since I have to be invested in the story, it dosent have to be big, but there gotta be something there make me wanna read, bad first chapter, means most people leave, it dosent have to big or something, but you gotta place some questions for the readers, not questions at the end of chapter means no reason to read the story
    4 no.
    5 so many, there is so many, one I really hate is conflict because of misunderstanding, especially the I think I saw him cheating. but he actually wasn’t
    6 avoid them. or you know instead of making her/him run away, make her/him walk up there and lay an arm around their boy/girlfriend, that was what I did IRL

1 Like

The guy saving the girl… Like it’s good being a gentleman and all that stuff, but you don’t need the guy to do everything! The girl can do stuff without the guy’s help! :blob_hearts: :blob_sun:

2 Likes

Questions:

1. As a reader, which do you get more invested in: the characters, or the problem they’re trying to solve?

As others are saying, a mix. If I hate all your characters then I’ll end up skipping or skimming bits that the plot relies on which would ruin the whole part I do enjoy. If I hate the problem the characters are solving I’d ether finish it thinking that it gets better or putting it down halfway.

2. Would you keep reading if you weren’t invested or couldn’t relate to the conflict?

If I’m not invested I’d probably drop it after a few chapters. If I can’t relate then there is a good chance I’d finish it. After all, I can’t relate to having relationship problems or even I relationship but I love romance- :joy:

3. When is the best time to introduce a conflict or problem to the story (first episode, fifth episode, etc.)?

If not the first episode then the first few. If your first episode is filled with extra details that I don’t care about I’m most likely going to tap through it till I meet that gripping scene, most likely missing out on important info…but you know. I have the attention of a goldfish :woman_shrugging:

4. Is romantic tension the same as story-driving conflict?

Not unless you can do it masterfully or I am absolutely enchanted by your characters. Then again, one of my guilty pleasures does revolve on meaningless drama surrounding fictional characters. :joy::joy::joy: As long as you feel 100% confident in your characters ability to make the tension worthwhile, then, take a shot!

5. What over-used story arcs/narratives are you tired of seeing?

God-

Abused/all powerful wolf’s pack is slaughtered, gets captured, escapes, goes on alpha territory, mates with alpha, twentyish chapters about denial and second mates, happy ending.

Girl with dark past moves to new place, gets enrolled into their highschool, mean girl tells her to back off, the lustrous bad boy and good guy fall in love with her, thirty chapters of indecisiveness, she picks the bad boy, happy ending.

Mafia man is going to kill/“save” girl, girl ether accepts him trying to kill her or accepts his help, ignore all the brutal truth, rival gang leader meets her and falls in love, indesiveness for ten episodes, happy ending.

Mafia, Werewolves, New girl, all the romantized versions are overused.

Also…pizza… Just food in general

6. What would make the example you just gave more interesting to read?

The dark gritty truth/fantasy.

An accurate description of the mafia’s illegal activity, the MC tries to go to the police after an attack that she wasn’t in because they wouldn’t let her live only to realize that they’re corrupt. What can she do to stop the mafia?

Werewolves aren’t just humans that shift into wolves. They have a primal pull to hunt thanks to their “wolf”. Years after the first proven and documented case of a hunt, your MC steps out of the shadows, as the first werewolf hunter.

The MC fades into the background. Her only friend is everyone’s friend. The “mean girl” of the school, she knows about more of the mean girls secrets than the people who’ve known her for years. What is the mean girls secret? How does can your MC help before time runs out?

7. In 3 sentences or less, write out the most interesting, cliche, or ridiculous story arc (problem, action, solution) you can think of.

I’m wearing glasses. Oh they’re foggy let me take them off for a sec. WOAH IM SO HOT…but I can’t see.

1 Like

Seriously, I hate the glasses are bad/ugly steryotype because I wear glasses myself, and also, I hate when people can go from wearing glasses to contact lenses instantly because I haven’t been able to wear contacts for years because of my eye shape and now I’m trying a special type and it is taking me months to actually be able to get them in and out :triumph:

2 Likes