Discussion: Contests & Spacing Them Out

The likelihood is that they have a meeting where they compile ideas and have a planner of some sort. I mean, it’s not like they can only come up with one contest idea at a time. They probably get loads of great suggestions at once and add them to a list.

2 Likes

Of course!

1 Like

I mean, loads of stuff goes into making a contest. Take the Dirty Dancing contest, for one. They couldn’t come up with that in 2 months. They need time to get the licensing agreements from the owners of the Dirty Dancing franchise. They need to make sure they have animations available for the contest. They need to make the visuals and schedule the announcements. That takes more than 2 months, so planning has no effect on whether or not Episode chooses to space out the contests.

I mean, they’re not struggling to come up with ideas at the moment, so why would we need to fix something that isn’t broken? I don’t think that’s an issue in this debate.

3 Likes

I actually like the way the contests are they inspire me to actually write something instead of only directing things.

6 Likes

Anyway, I think the contests spacing is perfectly well. :woman_shrugging:t4: I know some might feel pressured to be into it or read them but that’s all on their perspective. Episode is not forcing anything or trying to do so.

3 Likes

Just wanna add this as well.

When I introduced this idea:

everyone told me as much as they want to. So, I don’t really see how it’s a problem now, and when I also said winners should guarantee that they are going to continue their stories, it wasn’t a good idea.
You don’t necessarily have to support everyone that enters, even if you have 100 friends and they are all entering. Sure, you can choose to support them, but keep in mind that not every entry is guaranteed to win, you could read their entry 5 times, and it still wouldn’t matter. So it’s not always the case of supporting through reads or promotion.

People should stop pressuring themselves to joining contests, as funny as it sounds coming from me, you can always have a break.

But if it’s a break for Episode team, I agree. Yeah, they can have one. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I agree me with many posts above, I’m glad that we have contests 5 times a year. This way I have the chance to enter a few ones if I get inspired or if I already have a story idea that would fit, and when I don’t enter I like seeing what others come up with. I don’t feel pressured :woman_shrugging:
I know that some authors feel that they have to enter every single contest, but no, they don’t have to. I don’t think that others should wait more just because they keep publishing stories that they will never finish.
And from the reader’s point of view: I barely could start reading the MC entries before the winners were announced but that’s because we only had about 10 days after the deadline. That was very short, but usually we have much more time and since we don’t have to go in order, we can always support our friends and favourite authors before reading every single entry.

6 Likes

Hmm I don’t know. Not everyone will enter in every contest. The last contest I entered in was Thriller and now I’m entering in Clue, there’s been about 2-3 contests that I haven’t entered in but have been interested in other people’s entries. I think the time allotted for each contest is about right.

4 Likes

I def didn’t have time to read enough MC entries because I had no idea they were going to announce the shelf as soon as they did!

I try to support people besides my friends, but it’s hard to catch up sometimes.

Fair points made though!

3 Likes

Me too and I agree with this. I think we need at least 3 weeks for this. I was monitoring the College Days contest because I wanted to test my personal thoughts of contests and I “read” more than 70 entries before the shelf came out. I’m using quotation marks because I stopped reading many at chapter 1 because let’s face it, some entries are not good and you can see it from the first few minutes already. I finished reading all the stories I liked, so I think if we have a decent amount of time, it’s possible to support quite a few authors.

7 Likes

Well, since my name was pulled into this I’ll expound a little on why I initially suggested that contests be scaled back a bit.

I think most of us love the contests. They’re great for creativity, discovering new authors and making friends, and gaining visibility on the platform. But the platform is starting to become over saturated with unfinished stories and honestly lately the overall feel of the environment feels a bit hectic due to the way the contests are spaced out. Contests are starting to feel like they’re getting jammed into the schedule. The Missed Connection entries were only out for a week before the winners were announced, and every time a contest ends, they immediately announce the next with no time to breathe. It’s understood that the automatic announcement is to give creators as much time as possible to create.
Contests are supposed to be exciting and special, but instead they’ve just kind of become the norm. A sort of routine where one contest after another is cranked out. There’s no time to just enjoy the community as is or regular non contest stories. There’s no time to breathe and just enjoy the app (I’m talking about the community as a whole, not individually).
There’s not even any room to anticipate the next contest announcement. It kind of takes away the fun of a contest. Additionally, the way everything is spaced out-or crammed in- takes away from being able to really immerse one’s self in the ongoing contest. People just spent several months perfecting their stories for a contest, and now that the deadline for that contest is over with and the winners are announced, the community is already moving on to the next topic. Whether people realize it or not, you can sense the stress, frustration, and burn out in the overall environment. Heck, I’m not even fully immersed in the community anymore and I can feel it.

Initially I said 2-3 contests a year and that’s probably a bit extreme :joy: I think if they just scaled back by one contest that would give everybody enough time to allow the community to relax and enjoy the contest entries that have been released (and have more than a week to read and support before the winners are announced). It could also add back a little bit of excitement and wonder back to waiting for the next contest. Part of the fun of a contest is not knowing when one will be announced. At least for me lol. The way it is now it’s just become a routine to crank out content. And I’m not talking about going months without a contest. I’m talking about going a week or two.

I think scaling back the number could benefit the overall atmosphere of the community as well as make contests and contest winners stand out more. When something becomes commonplace, you stop appreciating it. I can’t even keep all of the contests or contest winners straight anymore and I think that doesn’t help contest winners very much either. But if some people enjoy a high stress environment in a community that was supposed to be for entertainment then whatevs :woman_shrugging:t4: It’s not worth going back and forth with people over.

6 Likes

I dunno. I feel like it’s up to the writer to know when to step back and take a break for a contest or two. I don’t think all contests are meant for all people. We all have our writing strengths. If someone’s going to enter way too many contests for their own good, that’s something they need to take responsibility for themselves.

4 Likes

It is. I don’t see the company forcing us to do anything. It’s all on our actions and perspective.

1 Like

Everything you said: Support!

Plus, the shelves for winners are getting so big lately that some winners don’t even get proper attention through it. (I think someone has mentioned that before. Sorry for the non-quote. Typing on my phone.)

Contests used to be an exciting special for the community and a way to discover new authors and stories. I have to admit that my own interest in reading contest entries has died down a little, because I barely get a chance to keep up with the regular stories I read :see_no_evil: So, almost none of the contest entries end up remaining on my favorites list.

Summary: Many contests reduce the overall value, in my opinion.

6 Likes

It’s always a good idea to know when to take a break every contest or two. The frequent contests help writers find something they’re good at more often

1 Like

Yeah and I also don’t see people coming up to others and making you read their entries. Again, it’s all up to us.

2 Likes

If you read the entries and make it seem you need to, that’s on you, not anyone else.

1 Like

I love how different the stories are thanks to the contests, too. More contests means more chances that people will think outside of the box!

1 Like

I like the idea of having back-to-back contests.

I do think they could have waited a little bit for this entry, but I also think it’s up to the author to decide what their limits are and how to manage their time.

If you are feeling tired from a contest, but want to do the next one, just follow the theme and don’t worry about submitting it as a contest entry. Just publish it as you would with any other story. The pressure’s off and you can go at your own pace. At least that’s what I’m doing for Clue. :woman_shrugging:t4:

9 Likes

Isn’t it a good thing that more people, including new authors, are getting their stories recognized instead of the same people over and over again? I don’t see how having more winners takes away from others. It just gives readers more options and variety.

1 Like