Discussion: Controversial Topics on Here

People talk about a lot of controversial topics on here such as the LGBTQ+ community, which is HIGHLY controversial to begin with. I am aware of the fact that people who are a part of that community are a part of the Episode community. No doubt about that. Anyways, I wouldn’t make a topic about a very controversial thing because you’re going to get people who agree or disagree with it. Then it turns into a huge debate. That shouldn’t happen if everything is open to voicing their feelings and opinions.

2 Likes

I don’t see how LGBTQ+ is controversial? You may not support it but this is Episode and we are all here to write/read stories. Does the author’s sexuality/gender bother you that much? :thinking:

1 Like

That isn’t what I am talking about. I really don’t care about any author’s gender and sexuality. I did not make this thread to talk about them. But, if you like in America, the topic about the LGBTQ+ community is highly controversial because so many talk about it now than ever before. It became a HUGE deal for a while now.

1 Like

Yes but it is best to keep these controversial topics behind closed doors since they often hurt a side…

1 Like

That is true, but a lot of people talk about topics like that on here :frowning:

The reason why she is saying that is because when people are talking about the LGBT community, they treat them or talk about them as if they are objects and some type of experiment, which they aren’t. Especially when people views about the community can be very offensive and cause a lot of arguments and chaos.

1 Like

You guys are misreading the topic of this thread :frowning: I didn’t make this thread just to talk about the LGBTQ+ community. This thread is about controversial topics that people talk about on here. The LEBTQ+ community is one of them. There’s more topics that people talk about on here that are very controversial.

1 Like

I think what you’re meaning is controversial in general, just like Mental Health portrayal and lack of POC diversity in Episode is controversial. There are certain topics that when brought up in the community, spark a lot of debate.

2 Likes

That is what I mean.

2 Likes

It’s sometimes is good to spread information on how to properly represent them or specific topics through so it just matters.

1 Like

I think that people that are the included in controversial topics (LGBT, Mental Health, POC, etc) get frustrated at the inaccurate way some authors portray things that are important to these members of the community. Some people don’t like the way that different groups are just slapped into a story for diversity sake without any real forthought into issues the different groups face. When they make posts about how these topics are addressed, I think people are more trying to educate people rather than start fights. I know, as a reader with my own mental health issues, I get frustrated when authors inaccurately portray depression and eating disorders. I am sure that POC and LGBT members of the community also get frustrated when authors inaccurately portray or stigmatize those topics/ideas/characters/people.

3 Likes

Perfectly said :clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4:

1 Like

I do agree with you. Which is way these topics shouldn’t be talked about on here in the first place! The forums is a place where authors and readers can interact with each other, not talk about topics that causes debate. I can speak for myself when I say this: I love to debate a lot, especially when it comes to controversial topics. I know it can be a bit of a bad thing, but I just feel like everyone should share their opinions. I don’t take it to the extreme like some people do.

1 Like

Bump

I agree with this a lot. At the same time, I am most definitely guilty of “debating”, I don’t really like that word though. I prefer civil discussion, not debates, where you share views and then people read it and go, “hm…I disagree.” Or “ah, yes. I agree!” I always try to stay civil and neutral, but I guarantee that when others read my posts sometimes, I don’t come off that way. LOL

I understand wanting to avoid the conflicts. I do it in person because I’m easy to run over in casual discussion. Forget about heated “debates” lol.

1 Like