DISCUSSION: Corona virus

What do you think about the virus? Is it being overrated or not?

Well yesterday around midnight we got an email from our school (I live in the Netherlands) and it said that a girl got infected from our school with the virus. They r closing the school tomorrow & I’m a bit stressed tbh.

24 Likes

I’m no expert on it, but from the research I have done, this is my thoughts on it. The media has overhyped it SO much. If you’re a healthy person, you should be fine if you get it. It’s mainly deadly for the elderly, sick, or immunocompromised. But like I said I am not a doctor, this is just what I’ve gathered from what I have read.

23 Likes

The corona virus is really only a potential issue if you already have health issues (like respiratory problems/autoimmune issues). For others, as long as you’re taking basic care of yourself and practicing good hygiene (washing hands, drinking water, etc) you’ll be fine.
If you’re taking the necessary precautions you should already be taking this time of year with it being flu and cold season, you’ll most likely be okay.
Like @episodes_bylex mentioned above it’s gotten so overhyped. I remember when the swine flu “epidemic” was going to send all of us off to early graves and it’s been ten+ years and I’m still here. The media loves to run with what it can. :sweat_smile::joy::metal:

16 Likes

The swine flu was never that serious nor any other before. Just my 2 cents :heart::heart:

4 Likes

I’ve been staying at home for three weeks in a row now and it sucks because I barely get to go outside, my grandmother who’s kind enough to come by and supervise me during the mornings is anxious about the coronavirus. I do think it’s overrated though, since there were no reports of any Vietnamese people catching it and much less dying in the past two weeks and I am really exhausted of learning streaming online where you have to FaceTime with your teacher on the computer each day for seven hours. Absolute torture.

5 Likes

I live in Australia. People are buying all of the toilet paper and tissues at the supermarket, which I’m finding very annoying. I don’t want to always use paper towels to wipe my- actually, I’m not gonna go there…

But, aside from that, I hope that everyone is doing okay. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I believe it’s a population plan to kill some people, unfortunate it’s not moving fast enough.

10 Likes

Well this is the second week I’m at home from school for the medical emergency. We’re all afraid that we could loose this school year if this epidemic doesn’t stop. I wouldn’t be that confident that this is going to stop quickly. I live in Italy and honestly I’m upset that news from other countries keep telling that my country can’t handle this epidemic, because many medics are risking their life every day and they are some of the best medics in the world. This isn’t deadly just for elder and other immuni compromised people, because even young and middle aged healthy people can die. The government took important decisions as soon as the patient 1 was found and they did everything they could. Italy was even one of the few countries that closed the airports for China flights. The first days were very scary because images of empty shops were everywhere but now we can normally go to buy anything we need. Every time I see a meme or someone making fun of this disease I feel really bad because now we’re living in the fear of dying and this is not fun. I hope you’re mature people that can understand the importance of this.

12 Likes

Please please please don’t take the reassuring fake messages as medical truths. This is a serious illness.

6 Likes

Don’t worry about it too much. More people die from the regular flu :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

I just hope people will stop travelling, at least until the situation calms down because the virus is so easily transmitted.

4 Likes

As @sablinova says the biggest problem is how quickly it spreads.

2 Likes

I can’t blame you because I wasn’t worried either before it arrived in my country, but sadly it’s going to arrive soon everywhere and in that moment everyone will be conscious about the problem. Now there’s an infected in my town.

3 Likes

People who have no other choice but travel yes, but others should not risk getting infected or to infect someone else. The media have created absolute anarchy out of this, people should not be so afraid, but aware that this is an issue. :thinking:

2 Likes

I hope the situation in Italy calms down soon. I live in Croatia and we’re fortunate enough to have 10 cases at least for now :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sadly there’s no sign about a pause. There are 2706 infected and 107 already died. Tell me if this isn’t dangerous.

4 Likes

Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.

Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Detailed investigations found that SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.

Therefore,we should take some precautions from being affected by virus.
For example…we should not shake hands…

5 Likes

all countries should have travel restrictions from day 1 when this virus started.

6 Likes

I live in India and luckily, we have only 30 cases of coronavirus here :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

You’re right…:+1:

2 Likes