Discussion: Covers

Every story has one. But what do you think makes a successful cover? For me, I’m sad to say that I often judge a story by the cover. If the cover looks basic, it might put me off from reading it. This doesn’t mean to say people who make their own covers are bad, as a lot of the covers I’ve seen are really creative and intriguing.

My questions…

Do you judge a story by its cover?
Do you make your own covers?
What do you think of people commissioning artists for their stories?
Would a ‘bad’ cover put you off from reading a story?
Have you ever seen a story where the cover and plot didn’t match?
Do you prefer edited or drawn covers?

14 Likes

No. but we all know its the cover there makes you look
Yes I have also made a lot for other people
do you think its wrong people are been pay for their work? becaue I dont

Not really. I might not look at the story though.
Yes
dont care

1 Like

Maybe? Hard to tell. In the past yes but more so I look at what people heavily recommend which is why I’m now reading things like mum knows best and dripping mascara (don’t trust the spelling on those)

On several unpublished ones yes, they aren’t amazing but better than the generic covers.

Art is a respectable career and some of the things artists make are gorgeous so then getting paid 12 for the four hours they drew (example not real pricing) is fine to me.
Why did you ask?

Eh maybe? Depends on the story I really don’t read that many stories so I wouldn’t say yes.

Well not really no. However I’ve seen one where the quality difference was evident.

Whichever one looks cooler depends on the story the genre and a lot of other things.

I just prefer well drawn or well edited covers.

1 Like

Nope, never.

Yes, sometimes but not all the time because I really take so long to make covers now since im using GIMP for first time. So I go on an art thread to get someone to make my cover.

As long as you give credit and pay the artist for their hard work, you should be good to go.

Nope, I read stories regardless if the cover is “bad”.

Yes, and I don’t mind at all, it can look a bit different but if it is off, then I would say fit the cover with the plot.

Doesn’t matter to me, it all depends on the author. I love both.

1 Like

Yes.

Yes. But sometimes friends make me one. :heart:

Commissioning art is not wrong, what is wrong are salty prices. I’m a grown up and I can’t afford them. Would be crazy if I’d order one. Price of an art scene is almost 1/6 of monthly payment in my country. 4/6 we pay home bills. What would I and my kids eat if I’d order art scene? :fearful:

Yes, totally. But what is bad cover for me? Bad cover is the one with badly edited characters on it.

Yes if you mean the story plot. But that’s ok.

It doesn’t matter as long as it’s stylish and neat :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

To be honest; yes.

Not often, but I have.

Great for artist. I don’t really have an opinion on this. But, I understand people want their story covers to have a certain vision so, if paying someone to draw that helps you, go for it.

Truthfully, yes. But, then again I would probably be curious to read it.

Yes, I see this often.

I don’t prefer one over the other. I like both equally.

5 Likes

Yes.

I’ve never really gotten to a point in my story to where I needed to make my own cover. But yeah I’ll do it.

I think nothing about it.

Yes, because I believe that cover represents something in a story… Like if you have a crappy cover your probably lacking something.

Yes.

I like both as long as it’s cute ˙˚ʚ(´◡`)ɞ˚˙

1 Like

Hey Lilly, this is a nice discussion to talk about

Honestly yes, because it’s usually the first thing the first thing people first experience or heard about a story they haven’t read before

So far yes, but I just got a requested one (thanks to @FlowerGriefer)

Some people are good at art, some people are just good at writing, it’s just best to utilize these talents, whether drawing your own or commissioning someone else. It’s another issue though if it’s a dishonest artist though

Very much, though sometimes it’s laughably bad that draws me in to at least read the description and check out the first ep

Usually this applies to those overly sexual covers which clickbaits readers into a relatively less sexual story. (I mean some authors get away with sexual themes to begin with, but obviously I don’t expect a lot from an LL story with a realistically drawn cover for instance.

Doing it myself: drawing. As a reader, I’m fine either way, but generally edited covers are more true to the Ink or LL artstyle, and I’m not weirdly whiplashed in the lack of realism in the story artstyle (is it just me? :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

I do not unless the cover is one of those google pictures with a the story title edited over it, then I won’t read due to the number of unpleasant stories I’ve read that has that as a cover. I mainly judge on the title and description
Yes and no.
I think that they’re very dedicated to the story to pay for art especially when they’re not even getting paid to write. I don’t judge a story by it’s cover but I am aware when a cover has been commissioned and that dedication does draw me into reading a story more.
Nope. I’ve read a few stories where the cover isn’t so great but the story is and have really enjoyed reading them.
Lol I have a lot of times.
I prefer drawn but edited can be good too.

3 Likes

Truth to be told, yes. I do. If the cover is very bad and doesn’t fasicante me, I might just not read it. I mean the cover and description are what makes me intrigued oln a story, so yeah I kinda judge the book by it’s cover.

Yes some. But some of my covers are made by others.

I don’t mind it. I mean some of the artist that commission are extremely good at it. But personally I’ll never buy commissions, I don’t think it’s worth paying for it.

Very possibly it could, But not neccesarily if the plot seems interesting, then I’d read it, not caring about the cover.

No I don’t think so.

I don’t really care either way. Both can be good.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry lol.

Sometimes. Then sometimes I commission my covers or friends make them for me as fanart and I use them. For example, the current Ghostwriter cover is by @/crystala.art and the current Agent Cinderella cover is by @/ae__episode .

I do it, so obviously I have no issue with it. Do you mean do I think it’s “unfair”? Because I don’t. I don’t think having a professionally drawn cover is a requirement for an attractive story cover. While most of the top trending stories do have commissioned covers, I don’t think it’s needed and I think it’s possible for a story to do well without one.
I’ve seen a lot of people complain about artists charging money for Episode covers but I think people need to realise that in most cases, drawing art is their job. They don’t care that it’s for a cover for a story that you’re earning nothing for lol.

Yes. I saw a cover once with a couple kissing except the layering was wrong on the cover. lol
Also a cover with clearly no effort whatsoever (i.e showing the debug elements or no cover at all) would make me think that the story has no effort put into it.

Yup. One of the Girls by @amberose during that forum experiment :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
(And of course many other stories with the same cover lol)
Apart from that, I don’t think so?

Either as long as it’s done well.

6 Likes

Do you judge a story by its cover? im hella picky so yes
Do you make your own covers? no, my hands hurt alot lol
What do you think of people commissioning artists for their stories? uh its ok do whatever u want
Would a ‘bad’ cover put you off from reading a story? girl do u know how many bad covers have the best stories?
Have you ever seen a story where the cover and plot didn’t match? in my bed :joy:
Do you prefer edited or drawn covers? both

3 Likes

Yes, but not really by the quality. Covers that show two characters (or three) “sexually touching” each other instantly make me move onto the next story. On the other hand, if I see something cool and original, I usually have higher hopes for the story.

I’m horrible with art, which is probably the reason why I try not to judge by the quality of a cover. My covers are basically screenshots from my stories :sweat_smile: But I have one that was made by a friend :kissing_heart:

There are a lot of talented artists in the community, and it’s completely fine if the get money for their hard work. The only reason why I don’t request covers is that this is not something I would pay for.

Define bad. Something like mine? :smiley: No, the story can be still good.

Yes, I’ve seen this quite a few times.

It doesn’t matter to me, both can be done well.

5 Likes

No, but if it looks very… messy or not clean idk how to describe it then I won’t read it, I’ll give it a try though
Yes! But sometimes I request!
If they really have the money I don’t mind them asking/paying someone to make a cover for them!
Depends on what it looks like.
ooh, uh no…?
it doesnt matter to me! Just as long as they both look neat!

1 Like

I try not to, but still do. It’s human.
I would if I would write a story.
Nothing wrong with it. I don’t know what to say, I mean it’s good :+1:
Nope
No
If they are good, then drawn. If the drawn ones aren’t good, then edited.

3 Likes

Yes, but I don’t let that stop me from reading it either. Like I might think “well, this looks like shite” but then still go ahead and tap it to suss the description anyway

All of mine except By The Book and the one I used for the forum experiement were made by myself.
I enjoy making covers and I find it fun, but when push comes to shove and I see them in app, I realise how obvious it is that I am not a professional.

Personally, I’d never do it. But that’s only because I don’t take my stories seriously the way some others do. When you think about it, it’s no different from a book author getting a cover for the novel commissioned, so I do understand it. I just wouldn’t do it myself because I’m not that type of author.

No. Not at all. It would be a bit hypocritical of me to do that when I still ope and expect for people to read mine despite my homemade covers. Plus, I’ve been scammed before. Good covers don’t always mean good stories either.

Yes, all the time. Gotta love me some clickbait! Even my spotlight story has a misleading cover - people think they’re going to be entering a cinematic story and then I trick them hahahaha :smiling_imp:

Edited.
Drawn covers actually kind of disturb me and I can’t explain why.

5 Likes

Yes lol. On the app the small cover is the first visual representation of the story and seeing it makes me want to or not want to tap on it to read the description and maybe read it so it does matter. I specifically really judge covers that are just like a stock photo.

I’m not a an author so this question isn’t really relevant but I do make covers/story art for some of my friends.

There’s nothing wrong with this as long they are paying for art and not an Episode edit. I have seen people charging for covers that look way too close to Episode characters and that is not allowed.

This does matter to me, because like I said before the cover is the first visual representation of the story so a “bad cover” tells me the author can’t really be bothered into getting people to want to read their story. I don’t expect anything fancy but the cover should somewhat look like what is in the story.

There’s quite a few in the fantasy and comedy section of the app. Some even in mystery and thriller.

It doesn’t really matter but I am more likely to tap on a cover that characters that look like Episode characters rather than a realistic art style cover.

4 Likes

Honestly same.

2 Likes

I do literally judge a book by its cover…
I used to it more often back then but I have been misled many times by pretty covers but stories that weren’t really my thing.
I mostly save stories now by seeing screenshots by authors or accounts that show their reccomendations
Bad covers have put me off. There are times that simple covers attracred me , they just have ti be super neat to make me want to save it. If I judge a book by its cover, I go to see if there are screenshots of the story so that I can know if I want to read it.

There are a couple very popular artists who do this (and aren’t what I would consider “cheap”). My understanding was that even if the art is hand drawn, it can’t look like an edit.

1 Like